DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm watching Uno & Grayson on Unrestricted, and I'm a little shocked that they discussed that botched beatdown at the end of the last Dynamite in 2019. Uno also confirms that Matt Hardy and LUTHER were discussed as being the Exalted One (and kind of references Scurll being discussed without saying his name).

It's amazing from where the Dark Order began to now thanks to the late, great, Mr. Brodie Lee and Being the Elite. Really something.

Enjoy the videos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Five great wrestlers AND Brian Cutler

He's such a non-factor that it's not worth getting his first name right.  ?  But I agree that the poor guy does stick out in this matchup though I'm hoping he has a good showing anyway.

As for Elevation it quickly turned into Dark but with a couple more matches involving name talent.  It really should just be name matchups with not-yet-featured talent on Elevation then Dark is just squash matches.  Having the same format for both makes neither stand out.  But I did like Wright more on commentary as he's starting to find his groove and letting loose a bit more.  I also liked Swole/Velvet as a team and wouldn't mind if they had a feud with Jade/Nia be a feud for Elevation.  Something like that would make it stand out more compared to Dark and they can always reference the main parts for Dynamite.

• Like 2

Elevation is a mystery
Matches on Youtube that no one sees

Tay Conti vs. Ray Lyn

Someone took note of -1 being too active on the ramp and moved him off camera. Good for them! Conti has impressive, unique offense and a great look. I hope they don't put her completely on the back burner until Anna Jay gets back so they can do nothing together. Tay's someone who needs a direction because right now, otherwise she's just spinning her wheels. 

Lee Johnson w/ Dustin Rhodes vs. Adam Priest

Priest is pretty good, obviously patterned after Dynamite Kid and Benoit. The cravate neckbreaker thing is a bit rube goldbergian but it still looked good as did everything he did. He really had to bail out Johnson on the dive at the end of the match. Lee has good babyface fire on his comeback. I think I prefer the blue thunder powerbomb to the neckbreaker thing he did here as a finish.

Varsity Blondes vs. Fuego Del Sol & Jake St. Patrick

Pillman looked good here but paradoxically worked de facto heel which may be his pathway to a larger role in the company. His corner clothesline looked just like the way his dad threw clotheslines which is cool. He worked heat pretty well with heel mannerisms like corner chops and small kicks. Griff has something but is years away at this point from even catching up to Pillman. I don't think the spinning forearm is the best finish for him.

"Platinum" Max Caster vs. Ryzin 

Some of the oddest psychology I've seen in a while. This was probably the latest time in a match's structure that I've ever seen a heel use an armdrag. Both guys went to limb work which is fine, but I'm not sure we can say it paid off. Caster's key lock could probably be a finish.

Big Swole & Red Velvet vs. Leva Bates & Madi Wrenkowski 

I had commentary off but I have no idea what caused Leva and Madi turn on each other? It looked like Leva didn't like Madi choking and came into in the ring, prompting Madi to hit her with a book? Why did they team up in the first place if they were so diametrically opposed? Seems goofy.

Powerhouse Hobbs & Rickey Starks w/ Hook vs. Jorel Nelson & Royce Isaacs 

Good squash. Hobbs knows how to work hope spots that aren't for enhancement guys. He gets stunned but doesn't get hurt. Team Taz minus Cage have good chemistry and could be tag team champion contenders. But Starks is a victim of being too good in defeat so he eats losses rather than being promoted up the card. I am hoping they get promoted, but I'm dubious.

Danny Limelight vs. Baron Black

I have come to the conclusion Limelight is a guy who is athletic but isn't good. Black is a more complete worker and I would promote him over Limelight. Danny hurts your company in the undercard, copying Rey Fenix spots when they should be reserved for your bigger star. Black isn't going to mess up anything above him on the card. 

"The Hollywood Hunk" Ryan Nemeth vs. "Freshley Squeezed” Orange Cassidy w/ Chuck Taylor 

Probably the best Orange Cassidy match I've seen and I'm going to go ahead and give credit to Nemeth for his displayed understanding of psychology in previous outings. By not playing into Cassidy's obvious spots with the rote response, it allows Orange to modify his act and do different stuff. Cassidy went to the pockets twice and Nemeth responded with two different tactics as though he'd actually seen Cassidy work before! It's amazing! Nemeth should probably cut out the Ziggler diving DDT spot but otherwise, I liked his performance. Post match setting up a tag match is interesting? I can't imagine this is going to be a long term angle since they haven't finish the Miro thing yet (although hopefully, fingers crossed, it will end Wednesday). 

Ethan Page vs. Alan "5" Angels 

Page is in a weird tweener role position where he works power spots but isn't particularly tall, jacked or fat. Border toss looked great though. Angels is unimpressive.

Ryo Mizunami vs. "Legit" Layla Hirsch

I don't see the drawing potential in Ryo and I think putting Hirsh over here would have helped her move up where she could potentially be moved to a higher position on the card. Match was good, if Ryo stopped trying to work in comedy taunt moves, I think I would enjoy her more. She's at her best throwing lariats not doing the locomotion.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm watching Uno & Grayson on Unrestricted, and I'm a little shocked that they discussed that botched beatdown at the end of the last Dynamite in 2019. Uno also confirms that Matt Hardy and LUTHER were discussed as being the Exalted One (and kind of references Scurll being discussed without saying his name).

Good episode!  How are both from Quebec when Uno sounds like some midwestern dude while Stu sounds like Pat Patterson? 

French Canadians not understanding how singular/plural works will never not be funny.

Edited by Technico Support

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

"Platinum" Max Caster vs. Ryzin 

Some of the oddest psychology I've seen in a while. This was probably the latest time in a match's structure that I've ever seen a heel use an armdrag. Both guys went to limb work which is fine, but I'm not sure we can say it paid off. Caster's key lock could probably be a finish.

"Back him up, Paul. He's on his period." 

I LOLed.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Good episode!  How are both from Quebec when Uno sounds like some midwestern dude while Stu sounds like Pat Patterson? 

French Canadians not understanding how singular/plural works will never not be funny.

You guys always wait for the YouTube episode and I always listen to the podcast from the week before. When I listened to the podcast, it was the first time I can think of that I heard some kind of accent from Uno. It wasn't all the time, but I could heard it. Stu though, man, he is French-Canadian as fuck.

It was a good episode though. I'm really happy that Dark Order took off in the way it did and people started responding to Stu and Uno in a positive way. I do kind of wish they talked about Uno's weight loss or how dramatically his masks improved from what they originally looked like. Uno in particular just seems like a really awesome guy from his streams, stuff he's an advocate for, and the stuff he talked about on the podcast. It's a shame that anything WWE is so locked down because I'd love to see some UUDD stuff involving Uno.

• Like 2

Tonight's Dark: Original Recipe has JD Drake vs. Fuego del Sol with Ryan Nemeth in Drake's corner. Looks like JD's joining the winner's circle.

Also ...

Brian Cage defends the FTW Title vs. Brandon Cutler

Chaos Project vs. John Silver and Alex Reynolds

QT Marshall vs. Shawn Dean

Cezar Bononi vs. John Skyler

Jack Evans vs. Dante Martin

The Bunny vs. Jazmin Allure

Ashley Vox vs. Alex Gracia

Penelope Ford vs. Miranda Alize

SCU vs. Jorel Nelson and Royce Isaacs

Evans-Martin could be fun.  

For a second I thought you were saying that JD Drake joined a stable called the Winner’s Circle.  With Drake and Ryan Nemeth together I fear a Peter Avalon & Cezar Bononi conjunction of wannabe JTTS.  

Then you have the criminally dismissed Chaos Project that is teetering on the edge weekly.  A less restrained booker would try and pair Marko Stunt with Serpentico.  Or he could just join JE after the built up and blown off split with Luther.

Poor John Skyler is in for a long week tonight.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
After reading about Bomoni’s wife’s leukaemia I now feel guilty for thinking Cezar wasn’t any good

On Sammy's vlog, they filmed Marko Stunt's first time meeting his favourite wrestler, the man who made him want to get into the business, his idol. He almost got emotional for a second there. 

It's Paul Wight, by the way.

• Haha 2

I haven’t watched Dark yet, but it’s interesting that Alex Gracia and Ashley Vox are wrestling each other. Gracia just joined NWA, and I’m sure Vox was on Powerrr before they shut down for a bit. I can probably take an educated guess as to who is winning, and I gotta say I wish it was Vox. She’s great, always has been. Sign her and Delmi Exo up damnit. Sea Stars forever!

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Loved that my boy JD Drake got his first win tonight. I'm curious as to to what's going on with him and Nemeth. Kinda bummed Sean Dean still hasn't won his first match. Also curious about the whole Serpentico/Dark Order bit. I don't want them breaking up Chaos Project though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

On Sammy's vlog, they filmed Marko Stunt's first time meeting his favourite wrestler, the man who made him want to get into the business, his idol. He almost got emotional for a second there. 

It's Paul Wight, by the way.

Damn you, Paul!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Casey said:

I haven’t watched Dark yet, but it’s interesting that Alex Gracia and Ashley Vox are wrestling each other. Gracia just joined NWA, and I’m sure Vox was on Powerrr before they shut down for a bit. I can probably take an educated guess as to who is winning, and I gotta say I wish it was Vox. She’s great, always has been. Sign her and Delmi Exo up damnit. Sea Stars forever!

Would TK pay for Hooked on a Feeling?  Of course, hearing that song on AEW, I'd keep expecting Batista to walk out.

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Orange Cassidy is getting new music. Assuming he doesn't do anything on Dynamite that would require us hearing it, it'll be debuting on Dark: Elevation. Tony promises it will be "dope." 

Oh no. I fear some setup where there's an insanely over the top entrance for someone whose gimmick is looking completely disinterested in what's going on. Pyro going off around someone who doesn't even notice it is what this company would do.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Sad 1