DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

I wish I could say Thunder Rosa is going to make it to the finals, because I'd love to see her vs Ryo, but I don't think they're going to put two freelancers in the finals (or whatever you want to call Rosa - especially with the NWA starting back up soon... ehhh I dunno, man).

Whether it's Ryo vs Rosa or Ryo vs Nyla, I'm fucking here for it. And I'm loving that the AEW roster is already taking to Maki Itoh on Twitter. Britt Baker, Lance Archer, Cody & Dustin, John Silver, Kenny Omega...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I wish I could say Thunder Rosa is going to make it to the finals, because I'd love to see her vs Ryo, but I don't think they're going to put two freelancers in the finals (or whatever you want to call Rosa - especially with the NWA starting back up soon... ehhh I dunno, man).

Whether it's Ryo vs Rosa or Ryo vs Nyla, I'm fucking here for it. And I'm loving that the AEW roster is already taking to Maki Itoh on Twitter. Britt Baker, Lance Archer, Cody & Dustin, John Silver, Kenny Omega...

IMO It doesn't seem like Rosa vs. Britt is completely over. I can see Thunder Rosa winning the tournament, the title, and then feuding with Britt with the idea Britt was the last person to beat the new Women's champ. I mean she works for someone else, but I don't think Corgan or Thunder Rosa would turn down dropping the AEW title to Britt or someone when AEW has given them free promotion basically while they were out of commission. That would be completely dickish.

I don't think the Rosa/Britt feud lasts past the end of the month, personally. It already seems like it's winding down (up?) for the big blowoff, especially if Britt interferes and costs Rosa the finals. And I know AEW & NWA have a partnership, with an AEW contracted wrestler in Serena Deeb being their champion, but Rosa will probably disappear for at a minimum of a few weeks to tape the new NWA episodes. No different than not having Hikaru Shida on the show for weeks at a time, but still. On the other hand, maybe it's a trade off - NWA contracted talent becomes the AEW Women's champ, while an AEW talent has the NWA belt. They did trademark Battle of the Belts or whatever, and Omega's Impact stuff seems to be leaning towards him winning their title eventually, so... Who knows.

Either way, I love Ryo, but I don't think she has a chance here. If she wins the tournament, zero chance she beats Shida. And if she does, she'll be an absentee champion most likely, unless she moves or stays in the US long term (like Shida). I think it's down to Nyla and Rosa to win it all, and I still don't see them having Rosa win it, despite me favoring Rosa over Nyla (but Ryo over both).

I just really, really don't want another Nyla Rose title run, in the same way that I didn't want to see Riho make it to Revolution and possibly beat Shida. I want a new face to win the title, not a 2nd time holder. Whether intentional or not, the Japanese side of the brackets has been an absolute showcase and elevation in terms of status among fans for Ryo, and the US side has showed us similar things for numerous women. I actually like Nyla, and I think she's improved 1000% since 2019, where I thought she was super green, and she still is, but I didn't walk away from any of her matches thinking, "man, I really want a 2nd Nyla Rose title reign".

TLDR - I want Rosa or (preferably) Ryo to win the tournament and title, but Nyla is there every week, whereas the other two definitely have the potential to not be there in the future.

The thing is AEW is usually doing live one week, taped the next. So hypothetically, she only has to be there twice a month and just two Wednesdays out of the month. It's not like she would be booked out and working everyday like Ric Flair as NWA champion.

Out of the people left in the tournament and even the current champion, she's the only one with a semblance of program. Plus, it makes a lot of sense seeing as you can have Britt brag about beating the new champion and how she can easily do it again. You set up the next match between the two a little bit down the road, and go from there. Hey, if Rosa can't come back after that, then you can put the title on someone who you are really invested in. If you can figure out a way to make this work and Rosa can show up on a semi regular basis, you have Thunder Rosa win that match and set up the rubber match for Double or Nothing (ideally, I would have Britt win it there and Rosa gets a nice, respectable three month reign). Easy 1-2-3 booking.

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

More importantly, Aja showed a real gentle side after the initial tough love approach post-match, offering tropical girl Yuna pineapple and other fruits as well as going to the new Evangelion movie together whenever that comes out. 

Just the thought of that makes me genuinely very happy.

• Like 1

Here's what I'd like to happen: Britt costs Rosa the match and we get a feud blow off match between the two in a FIFTEEN FOOT TALL STEEL CAGE. Sorry I got excited.

Plus Rose vs Ryo in a ladies hoss-off is music to my ears.

Edited by Leonidas

With New Japan focusing on the NJ Cup this month, and the announcers on Castle Attack repeatedly bringing up GoD challenging "anyone" for the tag belts, what are the chances of The Sons of Haku showing up in Jacksonville? 

Plus, there's this...

I love how I don't check here over the weekend and come back to see that Flair's Shadow got his ass Cashed.  I personally found the gimmick amusing at times but then he'd occasionally be a little shit when trying to defend himself.  So in the end good riddance.

And I'm kicking myself for forgetting about the show last night.  Not sure why they thought B/R would be a good place to view it as it should have been on Youtube in the first place.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jiji said:

WarnerMedia synergy. 

That's true but I'll be surprised if they get trusted again for a special like last night.  They should only be used for PPVs and nothing more.  While TK was unprofessional he was right to be angry at them.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Thought Nyla/Rosa was another really strong match. Loved the finish. Definitely never would have predicted it or the eventual final being what it is but I'm looking forward to it. Can't imagine a third Shida/Nyla PPV match so I'd think Mizunami winning would make sense in addition to not coming in for just one match, but I was hoping for Shida to retain against whoever she faced either way. 

If the plan all along has been to set up a Mizunami vs Shida match, then if you reverse engineer the tournament some of the surprising-in-the -moment booking decisions make a lot of sense. 

It's pretty apparent to all of us now that Ryo Mizunami is pretty great. I'm not sure I could have picked her out of a lineup prior to the tournament. I can imagine, say, Tony Khan and Jerry Lynn thinking that Ryo vs Hikaru would be a good PPV match but wanting to set it up so that fans like me would e excited to see Mizunami. Which... it worked!

If Nyla Rose ends up winning? Doesn't make quite as much sense from that perspective.

• Like 2

Who the fuck beats Shida if not the tournament winner?

edit: to clarify, this has been a clean tournament with little in the way of fuckery. If somebody like Baker had lost due to botched interference or Rosa had lost due to interference, then you could make a claim to one of them making sense. But it's basically been "these two people are the strongest right now." So if it isn't the winner of the two strongest, that's probably bad booking I feel like.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

This tournament is the swerviest booking in AEW's short history.  I'm not dismissing it or anything, at least until I see where it's going. The matches have been good, Nyla/Ryo should be a sure-ish thing. But this hasn't been the kind of booking we're conditioned for - maybe this one is all Kenny? Maybe Emi got to book her side of the tapings? It's pro wrestling, we'll know one day.

• Like 2

Where has Shōkō Nakajima been hiding?  I thought there was another impressive joshi worker from the early days of AEW.  

I am rewatching the more interesting matches from Dark’s past and there is a Riho/Shoko title match at the start of Episode 19.  Of course, immediately following that pair they decided to use as the warm up...for Jimmy Havoc/Sonny Kiss? A majority of Dark episodes so far have been less than one hour.  They filled those shows full of video packages, paid adverts and  replays from Dynamite.  They had 50/50 competitive squashes, don’t worry.  

Awesome!  Up next is a Luther promo.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Ryo Mizunami aside from Aja Kong was the most bland of all the Japanese side to me.

Exact opposite for me. Ryo has been by far the breakout star, on both sides of the tournament. I was already a fan of Yuka and Emi, and now I can add her as well.

• Like 4