DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 WRESTLING IMAGERY.

"Hey what's wrong, Manami?"

"Man I dunno...life?"

155933025_1057960878046694_2845261449815

154884824_182877253312918_22205369654070

BTW This is from 1/3/1997 vs. Rie Tamada and it's a pretty awesome match with Toyota flying and kicking another grown woman in the face and being a humongous you know what. 

However, Toyota's face here unintentionally tells you a story a woman who knows the company she works for is about to be bankrupt and a number of her friends are about to leave. Very poetic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is weeeeeiiiiiiiird.

Someone posted about this not too long ago. I'm guessing people just found out about this and it's piqued people's interest about the crazy combination. Both All Japan and New Japan, after NJPW had a political shakeup and talent exodus, had some bizarre matchups for a few years from 2002 to about 2006/2007 and probably later (I kinda checked out on puro around 2007/2008 before coming back full time in like 2014/2015 ish).

There was a lot of good stuff, but also some over the top stuff and some of it has flew underneath the radar until now.

I thought that had been mentioned before. Reading the Tanahashi interview still going on the NJ site, it seems like pretty much anything was up in the air during the Inoki-ism period. AJ was also struggling after the NOAH exodus so hey. No wonder stuff like HUSTLE showed up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Both All Japan and New Japan, after NJPW had a political shakeup and talent exodus, had some bizarre matchups for a few years from 2002 to about 2006/2007 and probably later (I kinda checked out on puro around 2007/2008 before coming back full time in like 2014/2015 ish).

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought that had been mentioned before. Reading the Tanahashi interview still going on the NJ site, it seems like pretty much anything was up in the air during the Inoki-ism period. AJ was also struggling after the NOAH exodus so hey. No wonder stuff like HUSTLE showed up.

Due to the falls of ECW & WCW along with Inoki going insane we got a bunch of weird stuff in NJPW around that time. With AJ it was the lack of a roster and Mutoh coming in to give things a more sports entertainment feel. AJPW was marginally less weird if only because they mostly used ok ex-WWE guys and the Hustle stuff was mainly contained to Hustle. The weirdest match up we probably got was a 30 minute draw in the CC between Palumbo & Buchanan that never made tape as far as a I know.

• Like 1

KroniK winning the All Japan tag belts was wild.

This is also odd

The team then joined All Japan Pro Wrestling in the summer of 2002 and made an immediate impact defeating Keiji Mutoh and Taiyo Kea for the World Tag Team Championship on July 17, 2002.[5] They would only make one successful title defense against Mike Barton and Jim Steele on August 30, 2002[5] before being stripped of the titles in October as they cancelled their appearances.

What a way to devalue the belts.

I remember Scott Hall challenging Mutoh for the Triple Crown aswell. It was a very weird time, right when I started to get into puro tapes and the first only matches surfaced. I watched mostly older stuff back then, but the odd show with Mike Barton (Bart Gunn) and Jim Steele.