DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

I love Sid as the type of guy who didn't have all the tools like a Flair, Savage, or Hart, but still made the absolute most of what he had AND got out of the biz relatively healthy, sane, and well-off. Truly a life well lived. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't Sid care more about his softball than wrestling? In that case you can scratch a film career too. 

"Softball" Sid Vicious? What gave it away?

Somewhat related; a few years ago WWE (I think) had an article about Strowman's old man being basically the Babe Ruth of slowpitch softball.

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I love Sid as the type of guy who didn't have all the tools like a Flair, Savage, or Hart, but still made the absolute most of what he had AND got out of the biz relatively healthy, sane, and well-off. Truly a life well lived. 

He was a giant monster? This isn’t like Phil Hickerson having a good career or something.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He was a giant monster? This isn’t like Phil Hickerson having a good career or something.

I would argue that Sid could have done more considering at his height and freakish build, he was able to do the Lesnar jump from the floor to the apron with no problem when he was Sid Justice. If he had actually cared to work on his in ring ability instead just doing his enhancement match routine (which got him over so I'm not bashing that), he would have made some vast improvements and been able to have at least good matches with someone other than renowned tumbler Shawn Michaels. 

Like I was watching a WCW show from 93 with Vinnie Vegas last night. It's crazy how much better Nash got between his WCW run and 94/95. His offense looked like shit in 93. Less than two years later, he's world champion for WWF. Nash wasn't a work horse, but he managed to get to a level where his offense resembled that of someone who should be at this level. Unfortunately for Sid, he would regress as time went on and his style looked so ancient compared to what everyone else was doing. I think that made it easier for people not to deal with him in the MNW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Sid's career is an inspiration to all the struggling indie guys out there who may not have the look or workrate bigger companies are looking for, but have the right genetics and know a drug dealer who can get them the quality performance enhancers.

I like Sid, and think found him fairly entertaining, but he got a lot of chances to succeed and had a lot of screw-ups overlooked purely because he had size.  If a 6', 220 lb. wrestlers cuts the half-a-brain promo, he never gets handed a live mic again and we're still mocking him.

41 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would argue that Sid could have done more considering at his height and freakish build, he was able to do the Lesnar jump from the floor to the apron with no problem when he was Sid Justice. If he had actually cared to work on his in ring ability instead just doing his enhancement match routine (which got him over so I'm not bashing that), he would have made some vast improvements and been able to have at least good matches with someone other than renowned tumbler Shawn Michaels. 

Like I was watching a WCW show from 93 with Vinnie Vegas last night. It's crazy how much better Nash got between his WCW run and 94/95. His offense looked like shit in 93. Less than two years later, he's world champion for WWF. Nash wasn't a work horse, but he managed to get to a level where his offense resembled that of someone who should be at this level. Unfortunately for Sid, he would regress as time went on and his style looked so ancient compared to what everyone else was doing. I think that made it easier for people not to deal with him in the MNW.

Both benefitted from being connected to Shawn. Sort of funny there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Both benefitted from being connected to Shawn. Sort of funny there.

It's crazy that even in 96 and 97, Sid is doing the wacky big man overhead club to the back. However, he's doing it like his arm is in full on rigor mortis. It's rigid and stiff like he has his arm in a hard cast or something. It would be different if Sid was green, but Sid had been in wrestling for what? Ten years by then? How are you that bad still?

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's crazy that even in 96 and 97, Sid is doing the wacky big man overhead club to the back. However, he's doing it like his arm is in full on rigor mortis. It's rigid and stiff like he has his arm in a hard cast or something. It would be different if Sid was green, but Sid had been in wrestling for what? Ten years by then? How are you that bad still?

You're kidding, right? Why would he risk blowing his arm out, having Tommy John and being put on the shelf for a year? Wrestling was his Spring Training.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

You're kidding, right? Why would he risk blowing his arm out, having Tommy John and being put on the shelf for a year? Wrestling was his Spring Training.

At the same time, he's risking breaking his forearm. Unless he's trying to do the Lex Luger deal, that doesn't seem very smart.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At the same time, he's risking breaking his forearm. Unless he's trying to do the Lex Luger deal, that doesn't seem very smart.

Well, it worked out for Henry Rowangartner.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't Sid care more about his softball than wrestling? In that case you can scratch a film career too. 

EDIT: I can totally see him in Nash's role as the Russian muscle in The Punisher v.2 though

I feel like he could have comfortably saved Cats, turning up and telling Rum Tum Tugger that his brain was only half the size of theirs, before powerbombing Mr Mistoffelees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I feel like he could have comfortably saved Cats, turning up and telling Rum Tum Tugger that his brain was only half the size of theirs, before powerbombing Mr Mistoffelees.

I have no idea what you're on about, but you clearly know more about pussy than I do.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I always liked the story on Foley’s book where Nash was watching Jake the Snake no-sell someone’s offence and Nash said something like “if Jake can get away with that with his skinny legs and potbelly than I’m gonna start doing it” and Foley said Nash’s performance improved markedly almost immediately. 

• Haha 6

Nash had charisma as Vinnie Vegas. I'l never forget the first time I saw him vs Tommy Rich at Clash of the Champions and he says "Tommy come here Tommy" and then starts beating the shit out of him.  First time I met Nash he was wearing a Raiders t-shirt.  I am a Broncos fan (yeah I know)  and said "really, Raiders?)  he shrugs and says "it was clean I didn't have to do laundry"   Yes ladies and gentleman, Kevin Nash folds clothes just like the rest of us. 

39 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Nash had charisma as Vinnie Vegas. I'l never forget the first time I saw him vs Tommy Rich at Clash of the Champions and he says "Tommy come here Tommy" and then starts beating the shit out of him.  First time I met Nash he was wearing a Raiders t-shirt.  I am a Broncos fan (yeah I know)  and said "really, Raiders?)  he shrugs and says "it was clean I didn't have to do laundry"   Yes ladies and gentleman, Kevin Nash folds clothes just like the rest of us. 

He definitely slowly started showing his charisma as Vinnie Vegas. He didn't have that opportunity as Oz or as a Master Blaster.

• Like 1

Waking up to see Randy Orton on Twitter talking about what a big dick he has sure was an interesting way to start the morning

(He is still going out with Souljaboy)

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

(He is still going out with Souljaboy)

Odd, I'd think he'd be into the more rugged types like a Birdman. 

Oh well, hope those two crazy kids make it!

• Haha 3