DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

39 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Disliking or criticizing somebody because they are not taking a deadly pandemic seriously is NOT a political opinion. If you (the general "you") think it is, you can talk to my right-leaning Veteran father in law who spent 56 days in the hospital with covid, or any of the countless people on here whose friends and family died of it. So I would say plenty of people on here have every right to criticize an anti-masker wrestler In the wrestling folder, or such an actor or musician in those respective folders. 

I'm fine with criticizing people for not taking it seriously.

I think beyond that is a troubling trend of dismissing or mocking people as whack jobs or crazies, not just about covid19 but everything. We don't know these people. I don't think these people are crazy and to dismiss them as such reinforces their belief which is even worse. And I certainly don't think anyone is anymore crazy than I am, or that I'm not susceptible to bad ideas.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I'm fine with criticizing people for not taking it seriously.

I think beyond that is a troubling trend of dismissing or mocking people as whack jobs or crazies, not just about covid19 but everything. We don't know these people. I don't think these people are crazy and to dismiss them as such reinforces their belief which is even worse. And I certainly don't think anyone is anymore crazy than I am, or that I'm not susceptible to bad ideas.

You're totally spot on, a lot of people have just been straight-up lied to and believed what they heard because in some cases the sources were supposed to be, theoretically, responsible adults in charge of keeping essentially the entire population educated and informed. Of course there are some people that push it way too far, because in all fairness we live in an age where we all have supercomputers in the palms of our hands and have every opportunity to look for other arguments that might challenge our beliefs, so there gets to be a point where there's no excuse for irresponsibility due to ignorance. I think of people being flagrantly anti-mask the same as I think of people who drive drunk. They're not necessarily whack jobs but they are certainly dangerous assholes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Jesus it's like the Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man meme in here.

That's a false equivalence. There are definitely two broad sides in this specific discussion, but that's about the only similarity. 

But beyond that, and just talking generally now rather than in response to the above post, I think it's important to note in general that this thread talks about real life stuff because wrestling is a part of real life. It's nice to have wrestling as an escape, but it's pretty hard to escape COVID outbreaks, provocative tweeting, promotional decisions like the KSA deal that actual news sources cover, etc. 

I think it's great that we don't talk directly about what's going on in politics today, but indirectly, it's going to happen because pro wrestling and politics are entirely intertwined, and that's because politics and everything are intertwined. Literally, politics is people enacting policies that affect lives across the globe. Of course they're intimately connected with everything that goes on in the world of pro wrestling. 

I will bet, though, that if WWE or AEW could hit a hot angle, people would talk about that more in this thread (or maybe they'd do it in the WWE/AEW threads instead since those are dedicated) and we'd have less space and time here to talk about What Dumb Tweet Some Wrestler Done Tweeted. So really, this all comes back to pro wrestling in the U.S. being pretty dire right now, especially during the pandemic. 

• Like 7

Case in point, and sorry for the double-post: We're talking about Fit Finlay matches from somewhere between about 13 and 26 years ago, my God. 

Which is cool, but we might as well go back to the WoS/Germany years on top of that: 

• Like 3

WWE NXT UK Spoiler:

Spoiler

Well done, Trent Seven. Still remember the fun run of Matt Hardy in 2003 having to shed the pounds to win and defend the WWE Cruiserweight Championship.

Posting this here as more will see it.

Edited by The Natural

I don't think he was ever bad. Even young Finlay in Europe was already very good. 

I pretty much feel like that about Regal, too, but in comparison to Fit, he was definitely a bit less polished in his early stuff from the UK. Finlay just looked like he was born knowing how to work a match on the other hand. 

The best thing about YouTube is posters, especially Tellumyort and his channel, putting out all this amazing stuff from '70s and '80s WoS/Germany/France that I would have never seen otherwise.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Was Fit ever bad? Like he's had bad matches, but is there footage of early Finlay that makes you go "This guy doesn't get it yet.?"

What would likely be some of the earliest possible Finlay stuff on tape? How young would he have been at the time and how much experience would he have had when first captured on film?

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:
Thank you, Mustafa Ali and T-BAR.

Random thought I had but considering Ali's challenging again for the US title if/when he wins it they should re-purpose "Real American" and do a video for him.  If it's done right it could be some pretty compelling stuff.

Now granted I was a few beers deep yesterday when this popped up so what do I know.  But considering I still admittedly like the song updating it for somebody like Ali would be quite something.

• Like 2

Many of you should have received a similar email in the last few hours

WWE Network is moving, and beginning April 5, it will be exclusively available on Peacock in the U.S. As a result, your current WWE Network subscription will expire at the end of this billing cycle and will not renew.

To continue watching WWE Network after your subscription expires, you’ll need to sign up for Peacock. With Peacock Premium, you’ll be able to stream every live WWE pay-per-view event – including WrestleMania on April 10 & 11 – along with your favorite WWE shows. Plus, you’ll get access to tons of hit movies and series, exclusive Peacock Originals, live sports, and so much more – all on Peacock!

We’ll send you another email with more details in the coming days. In the meantime, you can access WWE Network as you always have until your current subscription ends.

Sincerely,
WWE Network Support
www.wwe.com/help

47 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

What would likely be some of the earliest possible Finlay stuff on tape? How young would he have been at the time and how much experience would he have had when first captured on film?

That would be interesting to figure out. @Matt Dwas doing that project on Dustin Rhodes where we looked at one of the earliest matches he ever had and it was really illuminating to see him so green.

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I apologize for calling the WWE employee who subscribes to a belief system where left wing politicians, the Hollywood liberal elite, and Wayfair are involved in a satanic cannibal pedophile cabal a "nutjob."  That was too harsh.

I know people who think they commune with magic energies that help them decide their life paths. I think that's pretty out there, but that also doesn't make up their whole person either and I still generally enjoy their company.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I do not. I only recall Cena pulling that miracle. Could you point me to this match?

Great might be a stretch. But I think Cena, Triple H, and Finlay had Khali's best matches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I know people who think they commune with magic energies that help them decide their life paths. I think that's pretty out there, but that also doesn't make up their whole person either and I still generally enjoy their company.

Did any of these magic hippy pals shoot up a pizza parlor searching for Hilary's sex slaves or storm the capitol looking to kill some politicians?  You can't really just be like "peace to everybody, it's just different beliefs, man, we can still be friends" in this situation.  They also ran around with Confederate flags and were calling cops the N word.  Is that just a different point of view that should be respected?

I'm not going to argue with you because you're an admin and will just Cash me out if you feel like it, but this "both sides" stuff is ignorant considering all that's happened in the U.S.  the past couple of years. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Did any of these magic hippy pals shoot up a pizza parlor searching for Hilary's sex slaves or storm the capitol looking to kill some politicians?  You can't really just be like "peace to everybody, it's just different beliefs, man, we can still be friends" in this situation.  They also ran around with Confederate flags and were calling cops the N word.  Is that just a different point of view that should be respected?

I'm not going to argue with you because you're an admin and will just Cash me out if you feel like it, but this "both sides" stuff is ignorant considering all that's happened in the U.S.  the past couple of years. 

I apologize for my part when bringing up Yuengling and the like earlier.  But this is the main reason why I created a Discord chat so we can discuss stuff like this.  And I honestly hope to so it might be worth moving this discussion here.  https://discord.gg/kyBKaHE  Same goes for Jaedmc if you're up for it.

But at this point I'm hoping that we can move on from this and get back to wrestling discussion.  Yes, that's factoring in what Smelly said but it might be for the best.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

So anyway with the Network's impending demise and the move to Peacock who here is rushing their way through checking out all the old stuff they can?  I'll say for sure that I am as I'm only a couple months away from finishing what aired in '93 and would like to get that done before they move it over.  I'm also curious to see who's going to sign up for Peacock or drop it altogether.  I am still using my friend's login and he's not sure about Peacock.  So if he doesn't then I'll need to decide if it's worth subscribing again or just take a break until everything's back up by Summerslam.

If you like Euro sports, it's worth having Peacock Plus. I watch European football and cycling, so just having access to the EPL + Tour de France + Vuelta a Espana is worth it for me. 

I don't think I've ever streamed a TV show via Peacock, and I have watched like two movies because my wife streamed them and I was in the room. At five bucks, it's worth it if you watch like one or two other shows + the Network or if you like European football/rugby/cycling.

• Like 1