DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Then whoever owns the trademark should just go ahead and call it the "Diamond Cutter," to turn the screws on everyone else who can't use it. Whether that be WWE, or Page "allowing" AEW commentators to use it. If no one owns it (hard to believe), Page should jump on that shit already.

24 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Fuck Cornette for the most part, but he was 100% in the right at Dairy Queen. Didn't know whether to fix it or not? They wouldn't've ordered it if they didn't want it fixed, goddamn. They ordered the damn shit cause they were hungry, not cause they wanted to fuck around.

He's lucky he did that in the mid 90s. Now? Based on some of the videos I've seen over the last 10 or so years involving fast food workers, I've figured out that these people have ZERO to lose and will absolutely murder him where he stands. 

Matter of fact, we haven't had heard him having similar incidents in the past 25 years since then. And it's not like he is going to stop eating fast food. One of the last times I remember listening to him, he was still working for MLW, they had tapings in Cicero, and they (Cornette and some of the wrestlers) went out to get some food late at night after said taping and only one place was open IIRC. Same situation, and I don't remember him doing that same shit. He knows he's not in some little hick town in West Virginia or wherever the fuck he was doing one of his high school gym TV tapings. He will get fucked up if he tries that stuff now. And it won't be Lance Storm or Jericho or Candido taping it. It will probably be some kid with a camera phone looking for YT hits by filming some washed up pro wrestling manager get KO'd from getting slammed headfirst on the concrete by some person making 7.25/hr. 

• Like 4

Lost in all the Cornette-Ford issue is that I'm pretty sure Cornette has slid in some homophobia with comments regarding Ryo Mizunami coughing up hairballs which I think are allusions to eating carpet. I'm not sure what else they could be.

But Cornette thinks he's a liberal so that gives him permission to talk shit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Fuck Cornette for the most part, but he was 100% in the right at Dairy Queen. Didn't know whether to fix it or not? They wouldn't've ordered it if they didn't want it fixed, goddamn. They ordered the damn shit cause they were hungry, not cause they wanted to fuck around.

Nope.  There's no justification to talk to another human being like that.  The fact that Cornette can't hold a job should be a clue that he has no clue how to act in any situation.

• Like 5

Just now, Technico Support said:

Nope.  There's no justification to talk to another human being like that.  The fact that Cornette can't hold a job should be a clue that he has no clue how to act in any situation.

This. Treat people how you'd like to be treated. Respect goes both ways.

• Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I'd seriously love to know what his "liberal" beliefs are because he riles up the dirt worst part of his base for attention and profit as well as our previous president did.  And we all know absolutely no harm can come of riling up a bunch of bigots and loons, right? 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'd seriously love to know what his liberal beliefs are because he riles up the dirt worst part of his base for attention and profit as well as our previous president did.  And we all know absolutely no harm can come of riling up a bunch of bigots and loons, right? 

Hell if I know. Near I can tell he defines himself based on what he hates and boy does he hate Republicans, boy howdy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Lost in all the Cornette-Ford issue is that I'm pretty sure Cornette has slid in some homophobia with comments regarding Ryo Mizunami coughing up hairballs which I think are allusions to eating carpet. I'm not sure what else they could be.

Lest we forget his pretty extreme xenophobia when it comes to Riho and Shida, and then going on to comment about how Omega must have a thing for young Japanese school girls.

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Lest we forget his pretty extreme xenophobia when it comes to Riho and Shida, and then going on to comment about how Omega must have a thing for young Japanese school girls.

Funny because I guarantee he's called Omega gay.  WHICH IS IT, JIM?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

That's something I noticed as well. It's not like older fans who grew up watching Cornette in his prime. It seems to be lots of guys in their 20s and 30s. Their exposure to pre-podcast Cornette likely would've just been only those handful of times he showed up on screen in the Attitude era or whenever he showed up onscreen in TNA or ROH.

Their is like a million hours of Cornette shoots on YT. 

He’s kind of like wrestling’s Alex Jones at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

What in the blue hell is wouldn't've???? ?

There's no such thing as two contractions in the same word. I believe you were looking for wouldn't have...?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm just going to save myself 5 minutes and repost this from the Viceland thread:

On 2/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

In addition, he has this weird thing where apparently Japanese female wrestlers are fetishes and not like real people. He has this thing where he will infantilize them like these women aren't like in their late 20s/early 30s. Like if you worked for WWE or like any reputable company, that would get you fired. IMMEDIATELY. Moreover, it's not like he admittedly doesn't his own fetishes. If folks should not have a problem with him being a swinger, he should be fine with people being attracted to Asian women. He's talking about shit he doesn't have a clue about (apparently he couldn't decide if Omega was dating Riho or Shida so he just went with every Japanese female wrestler), and it's a creepy thing to continue to harp on.

I dunno if it was sad or hilarious (both?) that it took him 3 weeks into AEW to figure out that Nyla was a transgender wrestler. His first inclination was she must be a big deal cause she's a lesbian. He was so confused that he made me confused when he was doing his weekly recap.

Then, he went into something where the fact Nyla is transgender should make her a monster heel. 

This was one of the guys who was behind creative when WWF was starting to turn it around. THIS GUY.

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

What in the blue hell is wouldn't've???? ?

There's no such thing as two contractions in the same word. I believe you were looking for wouldn't have...?

Man, this ain't grammar class. If it's a good enough word for JD Salinger to use when writing dialog, it's good enough for DVDVR.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Then, he went into something where the fact Nyla is transgender should make her a monster heel. 

I think I said this in another thread a while back, but I have zero doubt that every single person from Cornette's generation (including "legends" currently working for AEW, probably) all look at Nyla and are exasperated, feeling like Khan is "leaving money on the table" not making her a Fallon Fox style heel.  Like I am 100% positive JR was given a talk very early on to not ever touch on it.  I have so little faith in previous generations of bookers that I see them all as die hard carnies who would never put good taste ahead of what they think would make money. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There's no such thing as two contractions in the same word.

'Tisn't so.

And people clearly use "wouldn't've" all the time when speaking. Would you prefer it be transcribed as "wouldn't of"? Because that's clearly gibberish.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think I said this in another thread a while back, but I have zero doubt that every single person from that generation all look at Nyla and are exasperated, feeling like Khan is "leaving money on the table" not making her a Fallon Fox style heel.  Like I am 100% positive JR was given a talk very early on to not ever touch on it.  I have so little faith in previous generations of bookers that I see them all as die hard carnies who would never put good taste ahead of what they think would make money. 

And it's not like anything positive came out of the whole Fallon Fox saga. All it did was make people think less of Joe Rogan, even less of Matt Mitrione, and MMA fans on a whole. It's not like CFA or wherever regional promotions Fallon Fox fought in was making money hand-over-fist. Instead of trying to have this positive, nuanced conversation that's never taken place in MMA (or boxing for that matter), it immediately went to a very ugly place fairly quickly.

I mean I never even heard what Val Venis said...do people think it would go any differently with Nyla Rose? And that's with trying to make her heel based on that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think I said this in another thread a while back, but I have zero doubt that every single person from Cornette's generation (including "legends" currently working for AEW, probably) all look at Nyla and are exasperated, feeling like Khan is "leaving money on the table" not making her a Fallon Fox style heel.  Like I am 100% positive JR was given a talk very early on to not ever touch on it.  I have so little faith in previous generations of bookers that I see them all as die hard carnies who would never put good taste ahead of what they think would make money. 

That's assuming they would hire her at all. I would also say they are leaving money on the table from not protecting Nyla and making her the female Vader/Mark Henry because she's obviously bigger and stronger than the rest of the roster. The reasons for her being bigger and stronger is irrelevant to me because wrestling isn't an actual competition. 

• Like 2

One thing that really makes me not have time for Jim Cornette anymore is that he's got a pattern of saying stuff like this to people either he knows won't or can't retaliate physically. There's no way in hell he'd say all that stuff about Penelope Ford to her face with Miro or Kip around. It's one thing to talk down to or slap job scared trainees like he would in OVW or physically threaten out of shape Vince Russo and quite another to denigrate the girlfriend/friend of guys who could pick their teeth with you.

Edited by cwoy2j

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

One thing that really makes me not have time for Jim Cornette anymore is that he's got a pattern of saying stuff like this to people either he knows won't or can't retaliate physically. There's no way in hell he'd say all that stuff about Penelope Ford to her face with Miro or Kip around. It's one thing to talk down to or slap job scared trainees like he would in OVW or physically threaten out of shape Vince Russo and quite another to denigrate the girlfriend/friend of guys who could pick their teeth with you.

Didn't Cornette pitch a bitch when Santino confronted him at a convention?

27 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

'Tisn't so.

And people clearly use "wouldn't've" all the time when speaking. Would you prefer it be transcribed as "wouldn't of"? Because that's clearly gibberish.

False.

It's "wouldn't have". The phrase "wouldn't of" isn't actually a real phrase. Common mistake. Carry on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cwoy2j said:

He's staked his claim that he doesn't have to leave his house anymore, which kinda tells me he knows he has burned all his bridges. I find that to be cowardly as fuck, but at the same time, he's made it to where he's too toxic to be backstage and work anywhere under any circumstances.

It reminds me of the rumor (I guess it's legit because I haven't heard anyone deny it) or story of when Watts went to go work in WWF in 95. First day Watts was backstage, Diesel went up to him and said, "Up here....I eat you."  

If Cornette wasn't satisfied with kinda just being some guy in creative or basically just being an on air talent, he's going to be relegated to hanging out in catering with all the folks he was around in his old, golden days if those folks are still around. He'd probably be fine with that, but that would be an extreme waste of him. If you're going ignore all the shit he has done, you might as well let him teach the other guys. Problem is if no one besides FTR or some of these wrestlers who see themselves as throwbacks to a bygone era want to listen to him, he serves absolutely no purpose being there. Like none whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

False.

It's "wouldn't have". The phrase "wouldn't of" isn't actually a real phrase. Common mistake. Carry on.

You just said he was false, and then agreed completely with what he said, dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1