DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am asking this question here because I don't want to clog up the Hall of Fame thread.

Assuming the announcement of Great Khali going in this year is correct - does he become the worst wrestler now in?

To emphasize - THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT WHETHER HE SHOULD BE IN THE HALL OF FAME OR NOT - just is he the worst wrestler?

I mean I wanna joke Mil Mascaras but I will not let my blind rage get the best of me

Insert DVDVR Kurt angle/HBK talking points. ? 

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am asking this question here because I don't want to clog up the Hall of Fame thread.

Assuming the announcement of Great Khali going in this year is correct - does he become the worst wrestler now in?

To emphasize - THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT WHETHER HE SHOULD BE IN THE HALL OF FAME OR NOT - just is he the worst wrestler?

I mean I wanna joke Mil Mascaras but I will not let my blind rage get the best of me

Trump is in the HOF and he looked pretty bad in that match against Rosie O'Donnell.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Maybe George Steele or Hillbilly Jim?

We should get Dean, Schneider, and Kris Z to revisit the "Who is the worst person in the WWE HOF" debate a decade+ later.

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

He's the worst in-ring wrestler of the actual wrestlers. It's not even close.

EDIT: Only caveat is that we don't have a ton of footage on some of the legacy inductees, but come on.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

I doubt anything in-ring by Hillbilly Jim comes close to Khali's NHB vs Taker, the Cena or the HHH matches, but at least he kept his matches short and to the point. Just like his Hall of Fame speech.

No, wait! I think Khali will have him beat on that one!

Great Khalil fucking sucks and was slightly more mobile than a marble statue.

He has...let me see here...a big chop. That's it.

He took bumps like when Andre couldn't take bumps.

He also killed a man in training.

He's fucking terrible.

• Like 1

Khali had a good roar. 

He had a way better roar than El Gigante/Giant Gonzales. 

So there's that in the "good" column for him. 

Phil was pretty careful in how he worded it. We're not talking kayfabe whether he deserves to be in or corporately whether he deserves to be in. The flip side of him not being the worst wrestler is that someone has to be worse.

And who's even on that list?

Jay Strongbow?
Ivan Putski?
Lita? (I mean she has the Trish match, but...)
Godfather?
Torrie?
Stevie Ray?

Oh, wait, one of the lesser Von Erichs might be a real contender.

I was gonna bring up Torrie but honestly, I felt like that was an Apples to Oranges comparison

Putski was the name I kept coming back to.

But yeah - I guess the cut off is what is considered "wrestler" because I forgot Chris Von Erich was included with the Von Erichs

I'm still gonna contend, that even all the other questionable "wrestlers" have more things that entertained me.  Khali had only the 1 segment where he yelled at the phone in the "Win Vince's Millions" segment.

Also - I am not one to make this argument but it might not be THAT far of a stretch to include folks like Carlos Colon Sr and Sheik

Because - looking at just the wrestling aspect - the only advantage they really have is the copious amounts of blood they are willing to spill

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also - I am not one to make this argument but it might not be THAT far of a stretch to include folks like Carlos Colon Sr and Sheik

Because - looking at just the wrestling aspect - the only advantage they really have is the copious amounts of blood they are willing to spill

Eh, they could both wrestle when they had to.

• Like 2

If we spend three pages debating Torrie vs Khali, I don't know who the winner would be, but I know that we'd be the losers.

Also, Colon is plenty good. Come on. And Sheik looked awesome on offense (but not otherwise) in that 1954 match WWE posted as a Hidden Gem and that people can watch for a few more days before it goes away for months. Realistically, he was 50 in 1976 and most of our footage we have of him was from around then or later.

Strongbow is a guy who was always super over in the biggest market in the world over a span of years while bringing nothing to the table, and there's something to that, I guess? It's not even a case of someone like Brody or Mil where it was obvious they understood wrestling and were just using that understanding in the most selfish way possible. I can't tell you what Strongbow did in the ring to be over, but he somehow did it.

We've seen a bit of Putski from earlier in the 70s and ehhh...

I quickly looked over the WWE hall of fame list and nobody really stood out to me.  Maybe Jesse Ventura was the most horrendous in the ring.

I acknowledge that Colon is another one of those "greats" that I just don't like (not as irrationally as much as say Inoki or Mascaras)

JUSTICE FOR HERCULES AYALA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2