DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

is that the wrestling version of the Raiders drafting another speedy receiver while leaving glaring holes proudly intact? 

I'd say yes, but Al Davis runs the company he just left.

• Like 1

Putting up my monthly wrestling crossword before I head out for the evening.

You'll see there are circles in a few of the squares.  There's a bit of a theme to this one, solve to discover what it is.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I don't think Meltzer said they wouldn't be interested. It sounded like he was guessing (his tone definitely intimated guessing) based on them already signing people really recently that space might be an issue, not capital.

He was running through all the promotions and why and why not they might sign Andrade. He wasn't ruling out anyone.

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Apparently Meltzer said that AEW might not be interested in Andrade because "they spent all their money on Christian and the Big Show". 

Hmmmm. Sounds like something that someone who wanted to have Andrade’s debut be a big surprise would say...(shifty eyes). 

Just now, Log said:

Exactly. That’s what they want you to think.  

He basically said in so many words he doesn't know where Andrade is going and that there are pros and cons for each company from CMLL (not really running shows consistently) to ROH (not really in their budget).  

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He basically said in so many words he doesn't know where Andrade is going and that there are pros and cons for each company from CMLL (not really running shows consistently) to ROH (not really in their budget).  

Gotta read between the lines...(eyes go shifty again).

I may have missed something, but the Los Ingobernables run in CMLL (and Rush vs Parka in general) was the last chronological time that I saw wrestling that felt as heated as pre-2000 pro wrestling could be, with a crowd that may not have 100% wanted to kill them but definitely still wanted to see them die. Sombra wasn't the biggest part of that, but he was definitely a tangible part of it, a cog in that machine, and he's only become more rounded since.

• Like 2

The only thing I can see holding up Andrade showing up somewhere fairly quickly is I don't think anyone expected him to be available this quickly.

Is he high profile (if he is at all) enough where signing him warrants rewriting what you have for future television and change plans? Cause that is a difficult curveball to deal with. 

For those wanting him in AEW maybe have him do New Japan and knock on the "forbidden door" when the time is right. This would give AEW time to sort out how to use him and by then he'll likely be debuting in front of a bigger crowd. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gorman said:

If anyone questioned him, he could say "Who are you to doubt The Dandy Highwayman?"

Yeah, and it seemed like the judges knew better than to doubt him, as they praised his promo ability and character (as I recall) and cited those as "proof" that this guy couldn't be just starting out. If anything, they doubted someone could get that far in such a short time.

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

For those wanting him in AEW maybe have him do New Japan and knock on the "forbidden door" when the time is right. This would give AEW time to sort out how to use him and by then he'll likely be debuting in front of a bigger crowd. 

I was thinking the same thing. Why not break away from the tradition of random surprises and "big" announcements and do vignettes and build towards his debut? It would also help that NXT cannot counter program and try to stack up a show to go head to head against one of AEW's tentpole TV cards anymore upon moving to Tuesdays. Do that instead of just having this dude out in the crowd with all the Dark and Dark: Elevation people or attacking a random AEW roster member.

With that said, I do expect Andrade to go back to Mexico at some point. So yeah, he could be a CMLL/New Japan guy. I mean Dave's con for New Japan signing him was just cost cutting due to underwhelming ticket sales. That don't sound anything like a hiring freeze. If they're interested in him, they're going to sign him. Same with AEW or Impact or any other place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think Meltzer said they wouldn't be interested. It sounded like he was guessing (his tone definitely intimated guessing) based on them already signing people really recently that space might be an issue, not capital.

He was running through all the promotions and why and why not they might sign Andrade. He wasn't ruling out anyone.

Yeah he even straight up said “I have no idea what their finances/budget is for that”. He was just thinking out loud, and If it was up to me I would definitely slow way down on all the signings so you have the space when an unexpected gem becomes available. It’s been discussed a lot on the aew threads but having a new debut every week is also really not the way to do it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Yeah he even straight up said “I have no idea what their finances/budget is for that”. He was just thinking out loud, and If it was up to me I would definitely slow way down on all the signings so you have the space when an unexpected gem becomes available. It’s been discussed a lot on the aew threads but having a new debut every week is also really not the way to do it. 

And here's the thing: You can't wait for free agents to fall out of the sky. You have to be business as usual. If people become available, they're available. It's way different from a football team because you're always actively looking to take care of your needs and concerns with a football team. AEW, on the other hand, already has enough talent for TWO two hour shows. Other than bolstering the women's division, what need are they exactly trying to fulfill? I think they're probably still looking to replace whatever was lost with the passing of Brodie Lee. However, other than that? They already have a lot veteran presence. They got folks who were just on WWE TV. They got a BUNCH of tag teams. They got a bunch of young people.

There ain't many MUST SIGN talents out there who aren't under contract with someone else who realistically will sign with AEW. Moreover, the must sign talents who can boost their TV ratings are not out there. Signing Christian, Paul Wight, and/or Sting isn't keep them from signing folks. The fact these people just don't exist is stopping them from signing these people. ? The Raiders thing doesn't work at all because there was a lot of talent on draft boards available before the people the Raiders organization drafted. There isn't a real pro wrestling draft or giant free agent pool. It's whatever is out there based on people getting future endeavored. That's about it. Keep in mind, they're also competing against other promotions for the very few people who are available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Could be early in the year to get this post off but 2000 Hunter is way better than Roode ever was..  

Is that one 2,000-ft. Hunter, or 2,000 Villano-sized Hunters?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only thing I can see holding up Andrade showing up somewhere fairly quickly is I don't think anyone expected him to be available this quickly.

Is he high profile (if he is at all) enough where signing him warrants rewriting what you have for future television and change plans? Cause that is a difficult curveball to deal with. 

I mean, it depends on what his goals are really. But it can be as simple as starting Dynamite with Matt Sydal's entrance (he's booked to face Omega, if he wins he gets a title match) Andrade jumps him and beats the fuck out of him and demands a title shot. Omega is like fuck no you just murdered that dude I'm not wrestling you tonight with no notice. Then the powers that be sign the match for the main event. It can really be as simple as a one off match. He's hot. This lets AEW benefit from his buzz. AEW & Omega are hot right now doing the forbidden door shit. This lets Andrade get a high profile match in to raise his stock before signing elsewhere / prove he really does have a higher ceiling than US Title JAG midcarder.

Like they don't have to sign him to a long term deal. They can get a shock moment / a dope match / and set everyone up for success by literally just pushing Matt Sydal's story off one week. I have the sense Andrade is going to more interested in NJPW / CMLL. But this move as a one off is totally do-able. And they could always revisit signing him longterm down the road.

But it doesn't take a whole lot of creativity to get someone that's hot to fit in, at least for a one off.

• Like 3

Personally, I think they've sort of overused the surprise appearance wrestler attacks ______/comes out randomly template. It's not as effective once you've done it the first five or six times. I think that's why there hasn't been real growth in the ratings. There's no real creativity that makes people want to stick around or tune in next week. People feel "well, if that's the best they have....wow."

If this was 1995-1997, yeah sure, lets do that. Now? People expect some high level shit to transpire. That or something that makes logical sense and not out of the early to late 2000s TNA playbook. This would be a chance to do something out of the box and really galvanize people. Otherwise, it's just more of the same.

• Like 1

Fair point. And I agree they have relied on that too much. But that's really the only way to capitalize on him being able to start right away. They can do vignettes and build to matches with dudes that have 90 day no competes. This one specific case, unless he shows up somehwre in person and does something it's kind of a waste of this unique situation.

But again that assumes Andrade even has AEW on his radar. He very well may not want anything to do with them. It really does depend on what his goal is.

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Fair point. And I agree they have relied on that too much. But that's really the only way to capitalize on him being able to start right away. They can do vignettes and build to matches with dudes that have 90 day no competes. This one specific case, unless he shows up somehwre in person and does something it's kind of a waste of this unique situation.

But again that assumes Andrade even has AEW on his radar. He very well may not want anything to do with them. It really does depend on what his goal is.

Well, technically, they wouldn't be able to do stuff for folks on non-competes. Hence, it being a non-compete.