DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Every time I hear the NXT PPV's name, I can't help but think of the UK reality TV show where a ballet dancer had to try to convince a panel of experts that he was actually a grizzled professional wrestler. It aired 20 years ago and I haven't seen since but I recall they kept kayfabe when narrating the match. The gimmick he chose? The Dandy Highwayman. 

Hide contents

Sounds like he knew that ridicule is nothing to be scared of

• Like 1

Andrade/La Sombra is legit one of the most exciting guys to watch. Part of what made his run to the NXT title and his run as being champion so great was that you could tell he was totally unleashed. I can't think of anyone else who worked that perfectly and made everything they did look so fucking violent. I'll always point this out, but most wrestlers will do a move, transition, do another move, etc. Andrade hits a move, quickly hits another move, destroys you with yet another move, and then destroys you more with another move. His sequences on offense are so fucking badass and it's rare to see someone not give their opponent time to breathe. He is just completely relentless and I love it.

Honestly, he's someone that I think most people should want to see anywhere...except maybe ROH where the exposure is so small. NJPW, CMLL, AEW, and hell, even Impact. Get him back on the stage with alacrity. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I also don't think that analogy works entirely either. Pro wrestling is its own bastard thing where a combination of casting choices and real athletic ability matter in a way that they don't for movies or competitive sports. 

It is, certainly, but I don't think that extends to fans not accepting a wrestler being put in a new role after seeing them booked differently in another promotion. If the wrestler has the chops to pull off their new role, fans will accept it. Hell, fans have shown they're willing to accept a sudden change of role even without a change of promotion, again providing the wrestler can pull it off.

Now, if your argument is that Andrade doesn't have the athletic ability or physical charisma to be a top guy, then I don't know. Go talk to Fowler; I'm sure you'll have lots to discuss.:)

I scanned the last four pages and I don't think it was mentioned but who fucking knows

The WWE has to be out of Tropicana Field at the end of next week (Friday, April 2) they are taping everything leading up to Mania ahead of time.

As part of the process in moving the ThunderDome to a yet-to-be-disclosed location, WWE will be reportedly taping the WrestleMania week go-home editions of Raw and SmackDown before closing things down in Tampa, Florida.

POST Wrestling's John Pollock reported that the Monday, April 4th edition of Raw will be filmed on Tuesday, March 30th while the Friday, April 9th SmackDown will be taped on Thursday, April 1st. Dave Meltzer confirmed the story as well.

Additionally, Pollock confirmed a Fightful report that this year's Hall of Fame ceremony will also be taped over two days, also set for Tuesday, March 30th and Thursday, April 1st.

A Monday report from Spectrum Sports 360's Jon Alba (also reported by Pollock and confirmed by Dave Meltzer) has WWE's residency at Tropicana Field ending on Friday, April 2nd, due to the impending Major League Baseball season. The location they are moving to has yet to be announced, but Tampa's Yuengling Center is said to be a front-runner.

WWE programming will be airing for potentially nine straight days leading up to WrestleMania starting with Raw, the Hall of Fame ceremony on Tuesday, NXT TakeOver on both Wednesday and Thursday, SmackDown Friday, WrestleMania 37 on both Saturday and Sunday, and Raw on the following Monday. If NXT does move to Tuesdays starting after WrestleMania, that would make nine straight days.

5 hours ago, Custos said:

Every time I hear the NXT PPV's name, I can't help but think of the UK reality TV show where a ballet dancer had to try to convince a panel of experts that he was actually a grizzled professional wrestler. It aired 20 years ago and I haven't seen since but I recall they kept kayfabe when narrating the match. The gimmick he chose? The Dandy Highwayman. 

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I saw this back then. He wasn't found out by the judges, so he did very well for himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

It is, certainly, but I don't think that extends to fans not accepting a wrestler being put in a new role after seeing them booked differently in another promotion. If the wrestler has the chops to pull off their new role, fans will accept it. Hell, fans have shown they're willing to accept a sudden change of role even without a change of promotion, again providing the wrestler can pull it off.

Now, if your argument is that Andrade doesn't have the athletic ability or physical charisma to be a top guy, then I don't know. Go talk to Fowler; I'm sure you'll have lots to discuss.:)

I think your point is fair, but I do think that it's different when a company takes in a bunch of another company's midcarders and makes them stars than simply sudden elevation of a midcard talent in a different role a la Bradshaw ---> JBL. But definitely, I get your view. 

Note that my part in this discussion was from a general perspective and not specifically about Andrade/La Sombra, whom I have no strong opinions on either way, but who is definitely way the fuck better than Bobby fuckin' Roode, I mean that guy is a channel-changer except for right before I stopped watching NXT when he had that dope Queen knock-off theme, after which I'd change the channel/stream/whatever. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I also don't think that analogy works entirely either. Pro wrestling is its own bastard thing where a combination of casting choices and real athletic ability matter in a way that they don't for movies or competitive sports. 

That's why a 50+ Liam Neeson can be a legit action star who beats up men much younger than him in a film and get complete audience buy-in, but a near-50 Edge beating Roman Reigns would get shit on. 

I don't know, no one shit on early-50ies Tenryu holding the triple crown and beating guys in their late 20ies (Kea) or early 30ies (Kojima) to defend it. The problem is that Edge was not even a believable threat to anyone when he was 35, so why should he suddenly be one 12 years later?

• Like 1

Speaking of Tenryu (and apologies if this has been mentioned, I looked back in the thread and didn't see it) but he's been in the hospital for several days with congestive heart failure.  The last report I saw said it was very serious but likely not life-threatening at this time.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

Bobby Roode in TNA was a better Triple H than Triple H ever was.

The bar is so low that it's underground. 

24 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I don't know, no one shit on early-50ies Tenryu holding the triple crown and beating guys in their late 20ies (Kea) or early 30ies (Kojima) to defend it. The problem is that Edge was not even a believable threat to anyone when he was 35, so why should he suddenly be one 12 years later?

This is also fair. But it's Tenryu. 

However, Edge was bought as a champ (not by me, I have taste) fourteen years ago and not now because he physically can't work the car crashes that he used to that he was able to get over as a younger man. 

I think that the fifty-year-olds who do work in that role probably would beat the shit out of most dudes IRL, but also they look like they would, no question. That comes back to the weird place that wrestling inhabits between real sports and movie/TV productions, which is my only real point. Direct analogies to either don't really work. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

There will be no direct successor when Vince steps down said Steph, also the landscape will be very different when he does. Group management will replace Vince in the end, and several recently hired people will be part of said group.

3 minutes ago, D.Z said:

There will be no direct successor when Vince steps down said Steph, also the landscape will be very different when he does. Group management will replace Vince in the end, and several recently hired people will be part of said group.

Cool.  So can he do us a favor and step down now so we see how that plays out?  I wish I can say I was joking but I don't want to be called a liar.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, D.Z said:

You getting this from an earnings call? 

Apparently Meltzer said that AEW might not be interested in Andrade because "they spent all their money on Christian and the Big Show". 

On the one hand, I can't argue that signing two (?) would-be Hall of Famers is a better investment than signing a lucha star best know as a WWE midcarder.  On the other hand, saying that sounds very WCW-ish.  It's right out of the WCW playbook to throw money at aging guys to make a splash in the short-term then not be able to take care of younger potential stars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I don't believe for a minute Vince will ever step down. It makes perfect sense for the WWE that they really don't have anything in mind if he steps down or worse.

If Andrade doesn't have a no compete it is possible he agreed not to go to AEW for a certain amount of time to get that clause null and voided? It would be interesting to see him in AEW, but I figure he'll go back to the New Japan before anything else.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Andrade/La Sombra is legit one of the most exciting guys to watch. Part of what made his run to the NXT title and his run as being champion so great was that you could tell he was totally unleashed. I can't think of anyone else who worked that perfectly and made everything they did look so fucking violent.

I’m sure I’ve seen it criticised on here before, but my favourite bit of Andrade offence is the running kick fake-out into a back elbow because it always has this balance of fluidity mixed with almost sloppiness, which makes it look violent. It’s one of the few signature counter to a counter moves that I think actually works because it looks like he’s legitimately going for the kick and it would hurt if the opponent didn’t move. Almost as though he’s throwing the strike in a way to increase the chances of success, rather than the success of the strike relying on the opponent reacting in a specific way.

I basically made this point earlier in the thread when the rumours first broke, but in terms of credibility moving between companies I think he’s right in a sweet spot. I don’t think he was around long enough to just be seen as a midcarder, he still felt like a future breakout star. He didn’t stick around forever to become JAG like a Ryder, and he doesn’t have the stink  of a main event run, like a Swagger. I think him being the one to make the jump also helps, even in kayfabe that’s a lot easier sell as a sort of ‘I wasn’t waiting around for my chance’ thing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I've assumed ever since WWE went public that Vince's death or incapacitation just ends with them getting sold to Viacom or somebody.

My guess it will be the battle between their two current TV partners

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Apparently Meltzer said that AEW might not be interested in Andrade because "they spent all their money on Christian and the Big Show". 

is that the wrestling version of the Raiders drafting another speedy receiver while leaving glaring holes proudly intact? 

• Haha 3