DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

47 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Same reaction to Raven's post-WCW career to.  I kinda lost interest when WCW outed Raven as a spoiled rich kid (I dunno what I expected).  In WWF/E, he was just another guy to me.  When I did eventually watch ECW, he never really clicked with me.

The WWE version of Raven never understood it. In ECW and WCW, he was a softly spoken evil genius.IN WWE, he was a guy who screamed "What about me?" for no particular reason.

I love the first Jericho theme! Absolutely burned in my brain from childhood. When the Network first came out and I did a Nitro rewatch, I laughed cause there was one where Jericho comes out to his first theme, then later in the show John Tenta walks out to the Evenflow theme.

25 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I love the first Jericho theme! Absolutely burned in my brain from childhood. When the Network first came out and I did a Nitro rewatch, I laughed cause there was one where Jericho comes out to his first theme, then later in the show John Tenta walks out to the Evenflow theme.

I'm assuming this is before they got around to changing all the music. By the time I got the Network, it was nothing but his Y2J theme switched out for everything. They may have done it for the 1st theme as well, but the Evenflow one is definitely gone. 

For as much love Jim Johnston deserves, the generic stock music game (and/or some of the Jimmy Hart creations) in the mid 90s was up there. I watched Halloween Havoc 95 last night, and boy does Sabu coming out to what eventually became La Parka's theme is something. Totally doesn't fit the gimmick. 

Loch Ness coming out to Rey's theme always gets me as well.

Nothing beats watching WCW Worldwide circa 99 and like Frankie Lancaster of all people comes out to the awesome Hollywood Blondes theme, Satan's Sister. They couldn't repurpose that for anyone else except the jobbers on the syndicated TV shows?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Ever wonder if that was done as a deliberate swipe at Austin?

Probably, but I just did a cursory Youtube search for Lancaster (Lancaster funnily enough was around long enough to have wrestled both Pillman and Austin) and the Gambler to see if it shows up. Apparently they just gave job guys different themes for no rhyme and reason. Some show up more than others.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Probably, but I just did a cursory Youtube search for Lancaster (Lancaster funnily enough was around long enough to have wrestled both Pillman and Austin) and the Gambler to see if it shows up. Apparently they just gave job guys different themes for no rhyme and reason. Some show up more than others.

Yeah, I agree, I think they just very truthfully did not put as much thought into it or think music to be as important as the WWF did. Some of those songs were used over and over again, like the ones you listed, Mongo/Hak/Psicosis was another, I could think of a million. Renegade's theme was the same Marc Mero was using in the WWF, how did no one catch that?

Edit: I do want to just say that I agree with your point on some of those stock themes being incredible. When they hit on a really good one like the Jericho Evenflow, Goldberg, Harlem Heat, NWO, it works really well 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Ever wonder if that was done as a deliberate swipe at Austin?

Probably not. Quite a few people in WCW used that music. I wanna say Greg Valentine used it at one point when he had a cup of coffee in WCW in 1998.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The WWE version of Raven never understood it. In ECW and WCW, he was a softly spoken evil genius.IN WWE, he was a guy who screamed "What about me?" for no particular reason.

Its sorta surprising in hindsight how much WCW invested in Raven, I wasn't to familiar with him in.ECW then, they made him seem like a big deal especially for someone who isn't associated with the NWO or Hogan of any of the top guys. I enjoyed his matches being Ravens rules before hardcore matches became a thing on Main stream wrestling tv.  It was a big deal when he had that match vs Goldberg for the US title.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 2:13 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

It was clearly the wrong booking based on the babyfaces they had lined up, and continued to get worse in the Invasion. But I'll be damned if late 2000 through 2001 isn't at worst my second favourite Steve Austin year. Even after KotR, you still had him putting a top-five all-time SummerSlam match with Kurt. It's a remarkable body of work.

Links to these IG accounts please. 

I kind of find "I want someone I can relate to" to be the most basic wrestling take that I see repeated way too often. Always happy to see this alternative represented, even if my actual views are always rocking back and forth on a continuum. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMpnFhLM0hX/?igshid=8ryv9bljtmqq

26 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Probably not. Quite a few people in WCW used that music. I wanna say Greg Valentine used it at one point when he had a cup of coffee in WCW in 1998.

Valentine definitely used it when he was basically enhancement talent in 1996.

Anyone ever see Ron Bass Jr. wrestle? Is he any good? I wasn't aware of him until earlier today, when he was retweeted by a different wrestler (O'Shay Edwards) I follow. Made me wonder about other second/third gen wrestlers that are completely off my radar. I'll have to dig into that at some point...

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Anyone ever see Ron Bass Jr. wrestle? Is he any good? I wasn't aware of him until earlier today, when he was retweeted by a different wrestler (O'Shay Edwards) I follow. Made me wonder about other second/third gen wrestlers that are completely off my radar. I'll have to dig into that at some point...

If he doesn't have a bullwhip named Miss Karen I'm not interested.

8 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I'm guessing he ends up in ROH with Rush which lets him work New Japan and Mexico when things eventually open back up.

If he shows up in ROH,  I'll go out my way to start back watching. Andrade has been one of my favorites since NXT

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Robert s said:

Disorderly Conduct also used that Hollywood Blondes theme. I would guess that theme was used by WCW at least as much as the Orient Express theme was used by WWF.

As a side note, think how cool a match between Hollywood Blonds and the Orient Express would have been in '93! Austin faced both members as singles in preparation for The Great Muta, when Blonds had already broken up, so it was missed opportunity by maybe 7-8 months.

• Like 2

I'd be so disappointed if Andrade ends up in ROH, man. Their TV is boring as hell and honestly, with the whole forbidden door thing, they're now a kind of irrelevant #5 at best (6 if you count NWA). 

Maybe a condition of the release was "Don't go to AEW, you're free to do anything else"

• Like 3
  • Sad 1