DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, Infinit said:

Does anyone here have an adfreeshows.com subscription? How's the exclusive content? Is it worth paying for?

I was pretty unimpressed with most of it. If you're thinking about it, try the $9.99 tier for a month. Anything above that just really isn't worth it IMO

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:27 PM, Matt D said:

Can you make it work with Youtube? I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/user/4WrestlingFans/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIsxNS5vUU3eumFDpZusFQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAXv2VdFQ2vVS64YUA4uEYQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicWrestlingstuff/videos

The network isn't exactly the be all end all. Not even close. I found all that stuff in a minute and most of it is hours and hours of relevant content that's probably not on the network anyway because they're just giving people 6 episodes of WCW SN a month or something. I get if there's some technological watch along issue, but someone must have figured out some way to do that with youtube right?

We could probably make it work. The Network just made it easy for us though. I have a 3 year old and his wife is about 7 months preggers so our time for searching out stuff is a little limited. Just being able to fire up The Network at the same time made things go faster rather than searching for stuff on youtube or Daily Motion. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Tangentially to that, we keep a spreadsheet of all of the matches we've watched and compare our star ratings to Meltzer's. I created a Tableau dashboard based off of it and once I clean it up a bit, I'll share it here. My buddy is more of a casual fan than me and loves Rick Steiner so basically anything Rick Steiner is involved in gets at least 4 stars. The Buff Bagwell/Rick vs. Scott Steiner/Giant trainwreck from HH98 would've gotten 8 stars from him if I'd let him be like Meltzer and go over 5 stars. To be fair, I love that match too. I mean, how can you not love a match that features Buff Bagwell in a Bill Clinton mask, Scott Steiner using 5 lowblows prompting Tony S to go, "the WCW rules committee needs to look at that maneuver!" and has a top rope missile dropkick from The Giant?

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I was pretty unimpressed with most of it. If you're thinking about it, try the $9.99 tier for a month. Anything above that just really isn't worth it IMO

Do you know if the Crockett Doc is available on the 9.99 tier?

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Is that a Reagan mask?

I have no memory of this.  Who’s in the mask and why?

Clinton. 

Going to guess Bagwell under the mask based on who’s laying down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

Buff Bagwell in a Clinton mask.  Because it was WCW.

Oh, dear god, how did I forget this?

The pic is from Halloween Havoc 1998.  Scott and Rick Steiner were supposed to have a match that night, but, before that, Rick Steiner cut a promo.  Buff Bagwell came out, convinced Rick he had Rick's back, and somehow the two of them got booked in a match for the tag titles on the same show against Scott Steiner and the Giant.  Rick worked most of the match solo, tagged Buff in at the end, and Buff promptly turned on him and kicked Rick in the groin.  Who could have seen that coming?

Rick still won the match by himself.

After this, they ran the scheduled Rick vs. Scott match, and Buff ran out in the Clinton mask and attacked Rick with Stevie Ray's slapjack.

It gets better.  So much, much better.  When I googled this, I discovered that Buff did a podcast with Dave Penzer where he claimed that Bischoff's original idea for the show was to announce that he (Buff) had been killed in a plane crash (?), NOT TELL THE BOYS IN THE LOCKER ROOM THAT IT WAS A WORK (???), and then have Buff appear appear at the PPV and be lowered from the ceiling on a wire - because he was a ghost (????.... I give up; there aren't enough question marks for this).

Buff says the idea got enough traction that he called his parents and wife before the PPV to clue them in, so they wouldn't hear that he died on the way to the show and think he was, y'know, really dead.  But plans changed at the last minute and they did the angle the way it appeared on the show.

I'm speechless.  It's Buff, so maybe it's all BS, but, if not, it sounds amazing.  And horrible.  But mostly amazing.  And Bad.  Amazingly bad.  I'm legit intrigued about where the ghost angle would have gone. 

I've seen 98 WCW more than once but don't remember this at all - or that Kenny Kaos got recognized as a tag team champion because Rick picked him as his partner after he (Rick) won the belts by himself.

I guess I'll watch Halloween Havoc '98 next week.  The show sounds awful.

Edited by Eoae
Fixed a couple typos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

DDP/Goldberg is really good, probably Goldbergs best match, and there's a pretty good Sting/Bret match thats marred by a dumb as fuck finish. And then of course you have the unintentional comedy of Hogan/Warrior II... I guess if you're not into basketball, there's worse ways to kill an afternoon

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Oh, dear god, how did I forget this?

The pic is from Halloween Havoc 1998.  Scott and Rick Steiner were supposed to have a match that night, but, before that, Rick Steiner cut a promo.  Buff Bagwell came out, convinced Rick he had Rick's back, and somehow the two of them got booked in a match for the tag titles on the same show against Scott Steiner and the Giant.  Rick worked most of the match solo, tagged Buff in at the end, and Buff promptly turned on him and kicked Rick in the groin.  Who could have seen that coming?

Rick still won the match by himself.

After this, they ran the scheduled Rick vs. Scott match, and Buff ran out in the Clinton mask and attacked Rick with Stevie Ray's slapjack.

It gets better.  So much, much better.  When I googled this, I discovered that Buff did a podcast with Dave Penzer where he claimed that Bischoff's original idea for the show was to announce that he (Buff) had been killed in a plane crash (?), NOT TELL THE BOYS IN THE LOCKER ROOM THAT IT WAS A WORK (???), and then have Buff appear appear at the PPV and be lowered from the ceiling on a wire - because he was a ghost (????.... I give up; there aren't enough question marks for this).

Buff says the idea got enough traction that he called his parents and wife before the PPV to clue them in, so they wouldn't hear that he died on the way to the show and think he was, y'know, really dead.  But plans changed at the last minute and they did the angle the way it appeared on the show.

I'm speechless.  It's Buff, so maybe it's all BS, but, if not, it sounds amazing.  And horrible.  But mostly amazing.  And Bad.  Amazingly bad.  I'm legit intrigued about where the ghost angle would have gone. 

I've seen 98 WCW more than once but don't remember this at all - or that Kenny Kaos got recognized as a tag team champion because Rick picked him as his partner after he (Rick) won the belts by himself.

I guess I'll watch Halloween Havoc '98 next week.  The show sounds awful.

The plane crash angle was a real thing. In the Nitro book, apparently it was supposed to be Bischoff and another wrestler who were to be killed in a plane crash. They were going to be off tv for a few weeks before coming back. Bischoff pitched it as he said something like everyone knew he had a pilots license so it would be plausible that he'd be flying a plane and crashed. The book never named what other wrestler was supposed to be in the angle with Bischoff so it's not a stretch that it could've been Buff. IIRC from the book, Harvey Schiller nixed it b/c he didn't want a death angle in WCW.

HH98 actually isn't a bad show. It's got Goldberg/DDP and a really good Jericho/Raven match. The cruiserweight matches with Disco/Juvy and Kidman/Disco are both good. The Steiner thing is a fun trainwreck. Hogan/Warrior is famously bad and Hall/Nash sucked. Bret/Sting wasn't terrible IMO but just kinda boring.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

HH98 actually isn't a bad show. It's got Goldberg/DDP and a really good Jericho/Raven match. The cruiserweight matches with Disco/Juvy and Kidman/Disco are both good. The Steiner thing is a fun trainwreck. Hogan/Warrior is famously bad and Hall/Nash sucked. Bret/Sting wasn't terrible IMO but just kinda boring.

On paper, only considering name value and marquee matches this sounds off the charts. Steiners going at it, Jericho-Raven, Hall-Nash, Sting-Hart, Goldberg-DDP and Hogan-Warrior. That's nuts, even if half of them weren't good.

45 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Good shout on the Raven/Jericho opener 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Good shout on the Raven/Jericho opener 

It's one of my favorite openers. One of the few times where you see Raven showing babyface fire and he's good at it. I remember there was a pretty slick sequence where Raven reversed something that Jericho did into a really nice looking Evenflow for a hot near fall. I feel like Raven got good at the "outtanowhere" aspect of hitting the Evenflow in WCW.

• Like 3

Raven v Jericho - aka battle of the bootleg grunge themes.

Around this time Raven was my favourite wrestler in the world.  I thought he was the coolest dude I’d ever seen.  He then spent the next 10 years totally eroding that view (his ECW return to tag with Dreamer excepted).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Around this time Raven was my favourite wrestler in the world.  I thought he was the coolest dude I’d ever seen.  He then spent the next 10 years totally eroding that view (his ECW return to tag with Dreamer excepted).

Same here.  For reasons I'm fuzzy about now, i completely bought into the Raven character when he showed up in WCW.  At the time, I was only watching WWF and WCW.  Had never seen ECW, really didn't realize that it was Johnny Polo in a new gimmick.  I kinda bought into Raven as his own thing, a completely organic character who had never been anyone else in wrestling.

What made it even odder was that I wasn't really the type of person to buy into that sort of image.  I was finishing up college around the time Raven hit WCW but I wasn't into college alternative music and barely knew what grunge was.  I was an upper middle class kid whose parents sent him to an expensive catholic school.  In college, I went to business school, registered Republican, and wore a coat and tie to class most days.  There wasn't a logical reason for the character to appeal to me.

Same reaction to Raven's post-WCW career to.  I kinda lost interest when WCW outed Raven as a spoiled rich kid (I dunno what I expected).  In WWF/E, he was just another guy to me.  When I did eventually watch ECW, he never really clicked with me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

Do you know if the Crockett Doc is available on the 9.99 tier?

No idea. I cancelled it over a month ago. I would bet it probably isn't. IIRC the 9.99 tier was basically just ad free versions of the shows that you can get everywhere and an occasional "bonus show" (like Bischoff reading mean tweets, Tony reading rap lyrics, etc) that were fairly short. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

We all know Jericho's "Evenflow" ripoff music but apparently his first babyface theme was a ripoff of some song by Journey. The name escapes me now but he talked about it in his book.

I was a huge Raven fan. He was one of those guys I knew about through the Apter mags in PNW and I dug his character in WCW. So when he jumped to ECW, I knew who he was so I could buy into his backstory of ditching the pretty boy stuff and getting grungy. I was a big Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains, etc fan so that's why I liked the character.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

We all know Jericho's "Evenflow" ripoff music but apparently his first babyface theme was a ripoff of some song by Journey. The name escapes me now but he talked about it in his book.

This? It could be any Journey song.

Spoiler

• Like 3