DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

1 minute ago, D.Z said:

Dirtsheets reported that Charly Caruso is leaving WWE. 

Melzer said something about her getting on Vince's bad side by being later for (segment) tapings.  Also, her contract is up.

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

searching WCW found zero results, but searching just WC brought up all the WCW content they had up

just another example of Vince not being in the "wrestling" business

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's probably why she's been showing up late, I bet. You give your time to your best career options. ESPN First Take moderation bux >>> Interviewing nerds like Sheamus and never-weres like Randy Orton bux.

• Like 2

WWE on-screen personality Charly Caruso is reportedly done with the company and isn't expected to re-sign when her deal is up.

Fightful first reported there were backstage issues when the 34-year-old was consistently late for interviews for WWE Raw, specifically with Randy Orton and Sheamus, that led to her being removed from TV. Vince McMahon was reportedly told about what was happening and "took exception" to the situation. 

PWInsider reported Friday that she is done on TV and is expected to leave. The recent hiring of Kevin Patrick (Kevin Egan) as a backstage correspondent and the host of Raw Talk essentially confirmed it. Her last appearance was on the February 22nd edition of Raw Talk.

Caruso (real name Charly Arnolt) has done double-duty with ESPN since 2018 and has been frequently seen on First Take. She was recently part of their first-ever all women's edition of the show. She has yet to post anything publicly about the situation.

The Indianapolis, IN, native has been with WWE since 2016 when she began in NXT. She was the host of Raw Talk and various pay-per-view kickoff shows following Renee Paquette's departure last August.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/charly-caruso-reportedly-done-wwe-336336

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I had no idea Technico was the old guy grammar cop from the news desk in The Wire Season 5?

I was just following up on @NoFistsJustFlips's stellar grammar policing from earlier this week W/R/T "wouldn't've."  He's right.  People might talk like that, but in my 18 or so years of schooling (which included nuns at one point!), I never heard of a double contraction.  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a losing battle, bud. Language evolves. I'd like you to type less complaints and give fewer of a care about how people use language. 

(That last sentence was written just for you and I hope it hurt, @Technico Support. I hope it's eating you up inside right now.)

• Haha 4

When will replays of WWE Network content be available on Peacock?

For events that live stream on Peacock Premium, replays will be available shortly after the event ends.* 

For events that air on other networks like USA or Fox, please see the details below: 
  • Raw: You can watch replays 30 days after this airs on USA Network.  
  • Smackdown: You can watch replays 30 days after this airs on Fox.  

*An exception is 205 Live, which will stream live on Peacock Premium, but will not be available for replay until 15 days later. 

Saw this on Reddit first, gotta say it's a really weird exception. I can only assume that it's a similar situation to Main Event.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I was just following up on @NoFistsJustFlips's stellar grammar policing from earlier this week W/R/T "wouldn't've."  He's right.  People might talk like that, but in my 18 or so years of schooling (which included nuns at one point!), I never heard of a double contraction.  ?

Surprising. 'Tain't nothing new.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Log said:

Wrestling that was shot on tape in the pre-HD days will not be HD. They can clean it up, but it’s not HD. 

Right...not to sound like Captain Obvious but anything on TV shot pre-HD ain't HD. It's just that the production prowess of certain people can give stuff a much better feel. 

But anyway, I spent too much money on shit to watch videos in 144p. Plus, my eyesight is too horrendous now to justify going backwards.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Morganti said:

I don't want old stuff in HD.  I want old stuff in its actual broadcast standard resolution ... not 144p 

NTSC analog broadcast standard is basically 480p.  Shit on the youtubes sometimes is 144p, or 240p

Hell, same here. 

On 3/19/2021 at 3:24 AM, Matt D said:

There could well be something on WrestlingHeritage or one of the other UK-originated sites, and there are definitely excellent resources on those sites including the A-Z of all the wrestlers.

For PWO though, there's this thread:

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/15983-the-beginners-guide-to-british-wrestling/

And this one which is more GWE oriented https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/29173-meet-the-wos-wrestlers/ (there's another one about ranking the European workers that's very good too).

both by @ohtani's jacketand they're excellent with a lot to see and a lot to learn, and we're far better off with them than without them, but they're the sort of things that give you enough info to do what I said before and sort of work out the norms and a general sense of things and figure out where to start.

EDIT: I think what I was going for is the notion that there's no canon to guide you. A lot of times, the canonical stuff is actually things that we don't have footage of, bafflingly enough, like Pallo vs McManus or what not.

I have seen every available World of Sport match barring a few oversights and some of the lesser 80s stuff. I've also seen a bunch of unavailable matches, including McManus vs. Pallo. The only time I watched it in chronological order was when I was doing the groundwork for the aborted 80s set, but I have a pretty clear idea in my head how the style and presentation changed from the 60s through to the 70s and 80s. I watched the majority of the footage out of order, however. And my thoughts on the matches are all over the place on WKO, and scattered in PWO microscope threads.

It would be interesting to see someone go through WoS in chronological fashion, but the footage didn't air in chronological order on TWC and the taped stuff from the 70s and 80s that exists was compiled into random compilation tapes. It would be a difficult task to piece together chronological footage. I have a master list of everything I've seen and what exists from each year, but I don't think you can find it all on YouTube. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I have seen every available World of Sport match barring a few oversights and some of the lesser 80s stuff. I've also seen a bunch of unavailable matches, including McManus vs. Pallo. The only time I watched it in chronological order was when I was doing the groundwork for the aborted 80s set, but I have a pretty clear idea in my head how the style and presentation changed from the 60s through to the 70s and 80s. I watched the majority of the footage out of order, however. And my thoughts on the matches are all over the place on WKO, and scattered in PWO microscope threads.

It would be interesting to see someone go through WoS in chronological fashion, but the footage didn't air in chronological order on TWC and the taped stuff from the 70s and 80s that exists was compiled into random compilation tapes. It would be a difficult task to piece together chronological footage. I have a master list of everything I've seen and what exists from each year, but I don't think you can find it all on YouTube. 

Like I said: you're the best resource. Even though you definitely like what you like, you have a very good sense of why other people might like what they like too. Anyway, hook me up with that list at some point. We've still got a year+ of French matches to go but I'll need a hobby after that. Maybe that'll be it. There are a ton of matches on youtube. Even if I couldn't find all of it there, watching 75% of what's available in chronological order might be worthwhile, especially if no one's done it.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, Infinit said:

Does anyone here have an adfreeshows.com subscription? How's the exclusive content? Is it worth paying for?

I was pretty unimpressed with most of it. If you're thinking about it, try the $9.99 tier for a month. Anything above that just really isn't worth it IMO

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:27 PM, Matt D said:

Can you make it work with Youtube? I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/user/4WrestlingFans/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIsxNS5vUU3eumFDpZusFQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAXv2VdFQ2vVS64YUA4uEYQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicWrestlingstuff/videos

The network isn't exactly the be all end all. Not even close. I found all that stuff in a minute and most of it is hours and hours of relevant content that's probably not on the network anyway because they're just giving people 6 episodes of WCW SN a month or something. I get if there's some technological watch along issue, but someone must have figured out some way to do that with youtube right?

We could probably make it work. The Network just made it easy for us though. I have a 3 year old and his wife is about 7 months preggers so our time for searching out stuff is a little limited. Just being able to fire up The Network at the same time made things go faster rather than searching for stuff on youtube or Daily Motion. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Tangentially to that, we keep a spreadsheet of all of the matches we've watched and compare our star ratings to Meltzer's. I created a Tableau dashboard based off of it and once I clean it up a bit, I'll share it here. My buddy is more of a casual fan than me and loves Rick Steiner so basically anything Rick Steiner is involved in gets at least 4 stars. The Buff Bagwell/Rick vs. Scott Steiner/Giant trainwreck from HH98 would've gotten 8 stars from him if I'd let him be like Meltzer and go over 5 stars. To be fair, I love that match too. I mean, how can you not love a match that features Buff Bagwell in a Bill Clinton mask, Scott Steiner using 5 lowblows prompting Tony S to go, "the WCW rules committee needs to look at that maneuver!" and has a top rope missile dropkick from The Giant?

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3