DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Yeah, @Matt D, I'd say that I've seen a lot of what's out there since I started watching oh, over a decade ago when that stuff started to pop up on YouTube. I've watched in an undisciplined manner, but I wouldn't have guessed that this was the norm; I assumed that someone out there had sort of catalogued it and some folks here or at PWO had already talked about it ad nauseam. 

I'd love for one of those communities to do something like that; as you said, the common tropes to the WoS style specifically are pretty easy to grasp, but the changes in that style are much harder to chart (and of course, this doesn't account for the bits and bobs we get with those workers on the continent). 

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, @Matt D, I'd say that I've seen a lot of what's out there since I started watching oh, over a decade ago when that stuff started to pop up on YouTube. I've watched in an undisciplined manner, but I wouldn't have guessed that this was the norm; I assumed that someone out there had sort of catalogued it and some folks here or at PWO had already talked about it ad nauseam. 

I'd love for one of those communities to do something like that; as you said, the common tropes to the WoS style specifically are pretty easy to grasp, but the changes in that style are much harder to chart (and of course, this doesn't account for the bits and bobs we get with those workers on the continent). 

There could well be something on WrestlingHeritage or one of the other UK-originated sites, and there are definitely excellent resources on those sites including the A-Z of all the wrestlers.

For PWO though, there's this thread:

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/15983-the-beginners-guide-to-british-wrestling/

And this one which is more GWE oriented https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/29173-meet-the-wos-wrestlers/ (there's another one about ranking the European workers that's very good too).

both by @ohtani's jacketand they're excellent with a lot to see and a lot to learn, and we're far better off with them than without them, but they're the sort of things that give you enough info to do what I said before and sort of work out the norms and a general sense of things and figure out where to start.

EDIT: I think what I was going for is the notion that there's no canon to guide you. A lot of times, the canonical stuff is actually things that we don't have footage of, bafflingly enough, like Pallo vs McManus or what not.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Just all the WrestleManias and 2020 PPVs then the more recent original content (Broken Skull Sessions, Last Ride, WWE 24, Untold, & Icons), Total Bellas, and most recent replays of NXT/Raw/SD

Well that kinda sucks. That's going to kill my Thursday watchalong with my friend until they manage to get the old content up. Neither of us has much interest in the newer ppvs or watching WMs over and over again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Well that kinda sucks. That's going to kill my Thursday watchalong with my friend until they manage to get the old content up. Neither of us has much interest in the newer ppvs or watching WMs over and over again.

Can you make it work with Youtube? I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/user/4WrestlingFans/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIsxNS5vUU3eumFDpZusFQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAXv2VdFQ2vVS64YUA4uEYQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicWrestlingstuff/videos

The network isn't exactly the be all end all. Not even close. I found all that stuff in a minute and most of it is hours and hours of relevant content that's probably not on the network anyway because they're just giving people 6 episodes of WCW SN a month or something. I get if there's some technological watch along issue, but someone must have figured out some way to do that with youtube right?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

How ironic, that Vince spent all that time and money acquiring all those tape libraries of all those promotions, and soon nobody in America will be able watch any of them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

How ironic, that Vince spent all that time and money acquiring all those tape libraries of all those promotions, and soon nobody in America will be able watch any of them.

This was my fear when this whole thing was announced but they claim all the content will be moved over to Peacock so we'll see.

Maybe this is another old person thing, but I think people who grew up watching analog TV, with all its faults, are more forgiving for watching low quality video archives than youngsters who only know HD or even cable quality TV. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Reportedly WWE wrestlers were told to work again during commercial breaks.

It's possible that WWE sticks with Thunderdome with some fans allowed in post WM.

This was actually a thing? I figured after that funny shit last year where footage was aired in some markets of the girls just standing around during a tag match, they killed that idea.

--

While April 1st is their first game, April 9th is the Rays home opener. So, they are definitely not staying there.

Edited by PetrolCB

Why does someone need to see old wrestling in HD? Do you really want to see Sid's back acne that badly? The only thing I can think that would be heavily improved by it would be facial expressions of both parties in a submission or something.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

This was actually a thing? I figured after that funny shit last year where footage was aired in some markets of the girls just standing around during a tag match, they killed that idea.

--

While April 1st is their first game, April 9th is the Rays home opener. So, they are definitely not staying there.

Been doing that break during commercial for some time.

Thunderdome will just move again.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Why does someone need to see old wrestling in HD? Do you really want to see Sid's back acne that badly?

Well, I mean, that's why I watch '03/'04 Smackdowns, to see Eddie's.

(Calm down. We've all seen it. He was clean though, right?)

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

In all honesty, is there any classic content on the network that you cannot find on YouTube, Dailymotion or similar outlet? 

Some of it isn't up elsewhere, which I found when I went looking for some WCW stuff that used to be online for the last Secret Santo thread. 

The problem isn't so much stuff that's on the network and whether you can find it elsewhere. It's stuff that wasn't on the network, didn't ever make it on the network, and it's 50/50 at best you can find it online. 

The syndicated TV can go either way. You can find it divided in separate parts, whole episodes, in a different language, and/or not at all. It's a shame that a lot of big wrestling moments from WWF (or WCW for that matter) TV that happened on the syndicated TV shows are still extremely hard to find online in its entirety, mediocre or great quality. 

I don't think it's that much to ask to have a non-pirated version because at the rate people delete channels, videos, or get copyright strikes, it's super inconvenient and frustrating to go back to a link or your favorites/watch later and it's no longer there. If it's on the network, you at least know it's going to stay there and you don't need to manually download and clog up your hard drive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Could WWE relaunch the network down the line with just the old stuff, at a lower price? Kind of like Classics on Demand used to be? Or does the deal with Peacock prevent them from doing this?

I think what would prevent them is the lack of viewership for that type of content. I think because original programming and more importantly, live programming is what drives eyes to the network, everything else has fallen by the wayside. I think they decided long ago that having this content just be parked, sitting idle on the network is a waste of time especially if they're uploading new stuff all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe this is another old person thing, but I think people who grew up watching analog TV, with all its faults, are more forgiving for watching low quality video archives than youngsters who only know HD or even cable quality TV. 

This.  Not to mention comp tapes that had...questionable....video quality.  *cough*Bixelvision*cough*

• Like 1