DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Also to the vicarious (shout out to Tool) living. That plays a part too.  It's why Austin was the biggest mfing babyface.  He was larger than life. He was relatable. He was dealing with a shitty boss in ways people dream about.  

So yeah.  I think you really need at least two of those three facets to be a mega star.  Kenny Omega/ New Day are kinda like that with being larger than life but also massive nerds who happen to be good-great at the pro wrestling thing.  However they don't necessarily appeal to all generations of fans quite like Austin did because their relatable or vicarious moments aren't as universal as dealing with a shitty boss and enjoying a cold beverage for the working man.

11 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Also to the vicarious (shout out to Tool) living. That plays a part too.  It's why Austin was the biggest mfing babyface.  He was larger than life. He was relatable. He was dealing with a shitty boss in ways people dream about.  

So yeah.  I think you really need at least two of those three facets to be a mega star.  Kenny Omega/ New Day are kinda like that with being larger than life but also massive nerds who happen to be good-great at the pro wrestling thing.  However they don't necessarily appeal to all generations of fans quite like Austin did because their relatable or vicarious moments aren't as universal as dealing with a shitty boss and enjoying a cold beverage for the working man.

That's definitely where a good story can put people in a different stratosphere. Kofi Mania worked because for a lot of reasons, but I think everyone related to the idea of it being this guy's time and no one wanted to admit it. Same for Daniel Bryan. Same for Punk. That seems to be the theme for a lot of WWE's faces.

I'm not sure what the story is for Kenny Omega as a face. The most compelling was his reunion with Kota Ibushi. When they hugged I wanted to see them destroy everything with their beautiful manly love. But as a singular character, I don't know what that story is.

It's like that for a lot of guys and gals, not just Kenny. Lots of athleticism and some of them have great characters, but the journey that moves us to love or hate a character feels lost a lot the time. I think both most companies have been kind of failing to consistently tell stories that really inspire imagination. I want to think "What if..." every week when wrestling is on. Instead it's more like "Oh, what now?"

• Like 2

Speaking on Kenny specifically, i think the only way he can hit that mega babyface run like Kofi/Bryan and to a lesser extent hitting the mainstream appel of Austin would require a lot of set up to basically build to a proper Golden Lovers reunion and run. 

But I totally get what you are talking about Jae. 

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

hey this is my youtube video!

cool to see it posted here (i likely uploaded it to post it here in the first place). 

Sorry, dude. Should have tagged you but I did love the stuff you have on there. But yeah dude I was happy to to see you put it up and just had to share it. 

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The best thing about YouTube is posters, especially Tellumyort and his channel, putting out all this amazing stuff from '70s and '80s WoS/Germany/France that I would have never seen otherwise.

I take it you're also aware of Arthur Psycho's channel? Because he's got some stuff tellumyort doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sorry, dude. Should have tagged you but I did love the stuff you have on there. But yeah dude I was happy to to see you put it up and just had to share it. 

no, it's all good! not trying to take any credit since all i did was cut out a segment of Saturday Night.

i love that more people are seeing it and it was a cool moment realizing that it gets shared around.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Nah, NWA Power Hour

To be fair, going through some of the old events and matches from over the past several months, some of the matches would be re-aired and reused on other syndicated programming in the syndicated era. Some instances I see where a match would air on Power Hour or The Main Event and air like two weeks after that on another show. 

So if someone probably remembers something from those shows, it could the Mandela Effect or it could be just WCW being totally ass backwards and airing stuff that had been taped a month ago and already aired elsewhere.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I take it you're also aware of Arthur Psycho's channel? Because he's got some stuff tellumyort doesn't.

Oh yeah, I've watched through most of that channel's stuff as well at this point, but I'm glad you mention it because it's also a great channel. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

no, it's all good! not trying to take any credit since all i did was cut out a segment of Saturday Night.

i love that more people are seeing it and it was a cool moment realizing that it gets shared around.

Cheers, @twiztor!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, RIPPA said:

Now all that being said - unless it just because they want to maximize profit but minimizing production costs - I have a feeling that by May they are going to be taking the TV shows on the road to all the places that don't have restrictions in place.

Especially now because you know Vince doesn't wanna let Dana White get too much run as conquering hero

That means Mississippi might get a PPV for the first time since .... What one of the Uncensored events?

Do wonder where they will run. The biggest place in Jackson is a shithole. Might run Biloxi cause of the huge arena. Or maybe Tupelo.

14 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

If you like Euro sports, it's worth having Peacock Plus. I watch European football and cycling, so just having access to the EPL + Tour de France + Vuelta a Espana is worth it for me. 

I don't think I've ever streamed a TV show via Peacock, and I have watched like two movies because my wife streamed them and I was in the room. At five bucks, it's worth it if you watch like one or two other shows + the Network or if you like European football/rugby/cycling.

It's worth the 5 bucks a month for me cause they have every episode of Code Monkeys and the Savage Dragon cartoon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Do we know what's going to be available on Peacock on Day 1? I've heard that the majority of the archives won't be available until August (I think) but what's going to be on there right at the beginning?

Just all the WrestleManias and 2020 PPVs then the more recent original content (Broken Skull Sessions, Last Ride, WWE 24, Untold, & Icons), Total Bellas, and most recent replays of NXT/Raw/SD

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Just all the WrestleManias and 2020 PPVs then the more recent original content (Broken Skull Sessions, Last Ride, WWE 24, Untold, & Icons), Total Bellas, and most recent replays of NXT/Raw/SD

Man, to think that I'm sighing from relief for not living in the States and the reason is just the WWE Network! I mean I'm really glad that the change won't affect me at this point, but I guess I should be even more glad that it's not about anything more serious this time around!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Based on a search of WrestleMania, there is an ECW PPV from 1998 for some weird reason.   Granted I have upgraded my subscription and it is still very early but this is going to suck for people used to the Network.  The biggest issue I see right now is that you have to literally search for things and I can't find an actual section except "Professional Wrestling" that near the bottom of Sports and doesn't have most things.

But the Network the first 3 or 4 days was terrible so we will see.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Man, to think that I'm sighing from relief for not living in the States and the reason is just the WWE Network! I mean I'm really glad that the change won't affect me at this point, but I guess I should be even more glad that it's not about anything more serious this time around!

I'm currently using a VPN in preparation for baseball season (stupid blackouts prevent me from seeing my home team unless I pretend I'm anywhere else in the country)  If I can make it work so the network thinks I'm in another country then I might have luck with this after all.  If not then from the little I've used of Peacock I think we're gonna be screwed for some time.

@Smelly McUglyIf you've basically seen all the pre-90s British stuff out there, that feels pretty impressive. I find it to be easy to learn but hard to master without a lot of the same milestones/timecodes/cheat sheets you get from other sorts of wrestling. The two things I could compare it to along those lines are the French Catch we're going through chronologically now where we're learning as we go, and the Houston wrestling dumps from NWA on Demand which 1) were of a shorter time frame and 2) we were able to contextualize as more and more was revealed of adjacent cards. It was almost like a picture puzzle where pieces were slowly revealed.

With the British stuff, you get the stylistic cues fairly quickly:

• No attacks after an opponent is down so a lot of it becomes the waiting for him to get up
  • Holds in early rounds building to either a moment of heel frustration and eventual blue-eyed comeback or slugfests later on
  • Acceleration/rope running leading to falls.
  • Matches ending in an injury after a mishap over the top.

That sort of thing, but it's hard to get the overall context. I haven't ever seen a good list of what's aired and what we have year after year. It's often put out there for its own sake so it's not like they're building to bigger shows and there aren't really angles, so a lot of the usual pro wrestling contextual cues just aren't there. And there's just so much of it. Usually what people end up doing is watching a bunch of matches with one wrestler (Jon Cortez or Steve Grey or whoever), but even then, it's hard to do that in any sort of chronological order to understand how the style grows and changes. And we have no arena footage at all basically so we have no idea what was going on around the country in any meaningful sense, just the TV. I'm sure someone like @JNListerhas it all sorted out in his head but I think it's deceptively impenetrable for most people (even calling it something simple like WoS or Joint Promotions is basically incorrect). I have solid working knowledge relative to the community and have opinions about a bunch of wrestlers, but I couldn't explain things to anyone with any sort of chronology.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Yeah, @Matt D, I'd say that I've seen a lot of what's out there since I started watching oh, over a decade ago when that stuff started to pop up on YouTube. I've watched in an undisciplined manner, but I wouldn't have guessed that this was the norm; I assumed that someone out there had sort of catalogued it and some folks here or at PWO had already talked about it ad nauseam. 

I'd love for one of those communities to do something like that; as you said, the common tropes to the WoS style specifically are pretty easy to grasp, but the changes in that style are much harder to chart (and of course, this doesn't account for the bits and bobs we get with those workers on the continent).