DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

That would be interesting to figure out. @Matt Dwas doing that project on Dustin Rhodes where we looked at one of the earliest matches he ever had and it was really illuminating to see him so green.

Yeah, I flubbed that one. Only got midway through 1991. Maybe someday I'll go back to that.

BUT, you guys will be glad to know that I actually have the answer to the Finlay question! We found the earliest Finlay match on tape that we know of as part of the French collection.

It's a really entertaining match. He's basically a goon for Gilmour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I only set up my Peacock account I had through Comcast to watch Mania. Wife and I flipped through it, nothing tantalizing to us. 

Peacock has all of Bob Ross, and every murder show ever on Oxygen.

I didn't have to sell my wife on it at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Did any of these magic hippy pals shoot up a pizza parlor searching for Hilary's sex slaves or storm the capitol looking to kill some politicians?  You can't really just be like "peace to everybody, it's just different beliefs, man, we can still be friends" in this situation.  They also ran around with Confederate flags and were calling cops the N word.  Is that just a different point of view that should be respected?

I'm not going to argue with you because you're an admin and will just Cash me out if you feel like it, but this "both sides" stuff is ignorant considering all that's happened in the U.S.  the past couple of years. 

Absolutely don't be afraid to disagree with me because I have an Admin title. I suck at this. I can't say the same for the others so your mileage may vary. The rest of my response I sent via DM because I think we're beyond ready to move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, I flubbed that one. Only got midway through 1991. Maybe someday I'll go back to that.

BUT, you guys will be glad to know that I actually have the answer to the Finlay question! We found the earliest Finlay match on tape that we know of as part of the French collection.

Jesus. When he tags in and does the body slam and hops up on the ropes for that body splash.... the fluidity of it makes me hate him so much.

Green longsleeved shirts and yellow trunks is certainly a choice. A choice some tag team should be considering today.

• Like 2

For the old folks, Peacock has a few good old shows worth watching, including Alfred Hitchcock Presente, Columbo, the Rockford Files and Crime Story, to new a few. Nowhere the library of HBO Max but not bad. 

I wouldn't call Captain N "good," but yeah, get that and the Super Mario Bros. 3 and World cartoons, please. The latter are actually on Pluto's Toons channel, but it'd be nice to just stream them. 

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So anyway with the Network's impending demise and the move to Peacock who here is rushing their way through checking out all the old stuff they can?  I'll say for sure that I am as I'm only a couple months away from finishing what aired in '93 and would like to get that done before they move it over.  I'm also curious to see who's going to sign up for Peacock or drop it altogether.  I am still using my friend's login and he's not sure about Peacock.  So if he doesn't then I'll need to decide if it's worth subscribing again or just take a break until everything's back up by Summerslam.

I've been doing this.  Mostly I've been bouncing around stuff from before I became a fan in '88 or so and watching the early Raws, which were around the end of my childhood fandom.

• Like 1

Do we know what's going to be available on Peacock on Day 1? I've heard that the majority of the archives won't be available until August (I think) but what's going to be on there right at the beginning?

Going back to RAF's point about larger than life vs relatable.

I personally want larger than life characters who have relatable moments.  John Cena gym bro then turning around and lifting big big big weight before going out and lifting the big show? Yes please.  John Cena making stupid poop jokes that have no pay off before lifting the big show? No thanks.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Going back to RAF's point about larger than life vs relatable.

I personally want larger than life characters who have relatable moments.  John Cena gym bro then turning around and lifting big big big weight before going out and lifting the big show? Yes please.  John Cena making stupid poop jokes that have no pay off before lifting the big show? No thanks.  

I think you also should throw in a component of wanting to live vicariously through someone too. For instance, a guy like Brock Lesnar doesn't exactly have an overwhelming personality per se nor can many people actually relate to him unless they're some kind of hybrid Viking sasquatch hermit but who wouldn't want to be able to be as physically dominant and awesome as him?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

In the big Ringcircle Of Life, aren't we all just... goons for Gilmour?

Finlay's first matches were probably untaped in 1974 for his pop's promotion when Thee Fit One was 16, so there might still be more gold out there.

- crazy but deep,

RAF

There is an important component of rassling in the mythology aspect, The Golden Bough and Joseph Campbell and thee Hero's Journey and whatnot, that makes it universally relatable. Of course, we relate to, say, Stone Cold punching his wicked boss, because hey we have all been there. But living vicariously through another is both identifying with your hero and looking up to them. There is room for both, but I feel that the death of kay fabe (inevitable?) gave the audience/marks/non-workers/consumers/universe too much influence. I don't want to be part of the show - I paid for my ticket so entertain me with your talent, canvas monkeys.

- RAF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

For the old folks, Peacock has a few good old shows worth watching, including Alfred Hitchcock Presente, Columbo, the Rockford Files and Crime Story, to new a few. Nowhere the library of HBO Max but not bad. 

Where's Matlock? Everyone knows if you wanna appease old people you show them Matlock. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

They have old school Perry Mason, IIRC. Is that close enough?

Did WWE Network ever get up a bunch of WCW Worldwides? The '93 - '95 stuff on that show was my favorite just because of how much I loved it as a kid. If it ever makes it onto Peacock, I guess I might as well watch it since I'm paying for it anyway.

46 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

They have old school Perry Mason, IIRC. Is that close enough?

Did WWE Network ever get up a bunch of WCW Worldwides? The '93 - '95 stuff on that show was my favorite just because of how much I loved it as a kid. If it ever makes it onto Peacock, I guess I might as well watch it since I'm paying for it anyway.

They barely got like nine or ten months worth of WCW SNs from 92 to 93. I don't remember any Worldwide episodes being up there.

I'm assuming that the amount of syndicated TV between WWF and NWA/WCW was so overwhelming that they just decided it wasn't even worth it to continue on with the stuff they did upload. 

• Sad 1

Does anyone have any idea why the World Wide matches have so much appeal?

During the Monday Night Wars I was obsessed with watching World Wide. More so than Nitro/Raw/Smackdown/Thunder. I don't know if I can put it into words, but it just felt a little more pared down. A little simpler. Maybe there was less noise than the main shows in regard to over promotion and I could just enjoy the matches. I remember watching Chuck Palumbo and Johnny The Bull's debut match against each other and being like "Holy shit these guys are gonna be huge."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Random thought I had but considering Ali's challenging again for the US title if/when he wins it they should re-purpose "Real American" and do a video for him.  If it's done right it could be some pretty compelling stuff.

Now granted I was a few beers deep yesterday when this popped up so what do I know.  But considering I still admittedly like the song updating it for somebody like Ali would be quite something.

I really like this idea, but I worry it could turn into Muhammad Hassan 2.0. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Does anyone have any idea why the World Wide matches have so much appeal?

During the Monday Night Wars I was obsessed with watching World Wide. More so than Nitro/Raw/Smackdown/Thunder. I don't know if I can put it into words, but it just felt a little more pared down. A little simpler. Maybe there was less noise than the main shows in regard to over promotion and I could just enjoy the matches. I remember watching Chuck Palumbo and Johnny The Bull's debut match against each other and being like "Holy shit these guys are gonna be huge."

Hugger spelled backwards is "Regguh".

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1