DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

43 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I believe I've mentioned this before, but that's pretty much what will happen. Look at the comments section on practically any article about the anti-trans in sports bills being bandied about in 20+ states. (I mean... I don't actively recommend it. It gives me a migraine.)

A lot of people have a phenomenally low understanding of what trans people are, and an unwillingness to stray from a fourth-grade understanding of science to try and improve that understanding.

And maybe that sounds bitter, but I've also been having these conversations for a decade-plus, and I'm just... really tired, y'all.

I understand that. I honestly didn't know anything about this until a trans person explained what transitioning is actually physically like. Then I was like, "Oh, what's even the issue regarding trans people participating in the sport of their gender, then?" 

I would guess that a lot of misunderstanding about this from cis people is just ignorance. I mean, a lot of it is that some people want to be ignorant, but trust me, I didn't know even half of the bodily changes that happen when a person transitions until someone talked about that aspect of it. 

Which is to say, you're doing at least a small service having these conversations, and if you do feel like you want to keep having them, you'll enlighten someone out there. Whether that's worth it to you is not for me to say, but I can thank you for trying. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

(Are there people currently working both shows currently?)

Nia and Shayna have been on all three shows in the past couple of weeks. Nia is at least Q-Anon adjacent and has said she didn't think she needs the vaccine as the body is designed to heal itself.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Charlotte will star as a Tuscon cop in a Walking Tall remake on USA. 

Is this the place to crack wise about who the producers really wanted before the company offered them Charlotte? Or do I need to take it down to the movie section?

Tucson seems like the most random setting for Walking Tall. Why not Sheboygan or Burlington, VT? The Hamptons?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I see where she's coming from. Perfectly understandable.

The body is tremendously efficient at healing itself if you have diabetes. Or hypertension. Cancer. Lupus. Sickle cell anemia. RA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is this the place to crack wise about who the producers really wanted before the company offered them Charlotte? Or do I need to take it down to the movie section?

Tucson is too much like Santa Fe to be good for a Walking Tall remake. It's artsy and chill, generally speaking. What's Charlotte gonna do, bust people for selling bootleg colorful Southwestern rugs at the Winter Market?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I hope they have back-up stunt people for when she injures the first batch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The body is tremendously efficient at healing itself if you have diabetes. Or hypertension. Cancer. Lupus. Sickle cell anemia. RA.

I hesitate on the diabetes just because a man just blamed his racism on his diabetes. So I believe his self healing system is broken.

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Tucson is too much like Santa Fe to be good for a Walking Tall remake. It's artsy and chill, generally speaking. What's Charlotte gonna do, bust people for selling bootleg colorful Southwestern rugs at the Winter Market?

When it comes to Arizona...the only things I think of are MLK Day not being a holiday, Warrior Academy and destrucity or however the fuck you spell it, Superstar Billy Graham, Raising Arizona, the 2001 Diamondbacks, Lute Olson, and the classic SNL sketch where Xena played Stevie Nicks selling shitty Tex-Mex in Sedona with her cocaine fueled gypsy yodeling. 

• Haha 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
45 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I understand that. I honestly didn't know anything about this until a trans person explained what transitioning is actually physically like. Then I was like, "Oh, what's even the issue regarding trans people participating in the sport of their gender, then?" 

I would guess that a lot of misunderstanding about this from cis people is just ignorance. I mean, a lot of it is that some people want to be ignorant, but trust me, I didn't know even half of the bodily changes that happen when a person transitions until someone talked about that aspect of it. 

Which is to say, you're doing at least a small service having these conversations, and if you do feel like you want to keep having them, you'll enlighten someone out there. Whether that's worth it to you is not for me to say, but I can thank you for trying. 

So I think that tiredness comes from a few factors:

1) I'm in a bit of a trans bubble. I mean, obviously.

2) The conversation rarely, if ever changes, outside of when you hit upon a troll who just wants to argue with you and starts shifting the goalposts about why you're not allowed to be yourself. Because first it's hormone levels, then it's surgical procedures, then it's bone density, then it's chromosomes, then it's "WELL IT'S JUST HOW YOU WERE BORN AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT NO MATTER WHAT!" and by that point I wonder if time machine technology has been invented yet so I can get the last 30 minutes of my life back. (Not to mention the rather unhealthy doses of accusations of sexual assault if the TERFs start piling on.)

3) A lot of those conversations get into deep, personal aspects of my life and my body that are like peeling away my skin. And I often wonder why I need to be the one to get so deeply personal about why I should be treated humanely and allowed to participate in regular society, because frankly a lot of scientific research on folks like me have been squelched and silenced for decades, and this can't honestly be the best possible way for people to understand us, can it?

And sadly... yes. Yes it is, in a lot of respects.

So I usually have to accept my exhaustion and try to understand that I will probably be forever tired, but maybe the next generation of trans folks won't be. Which gives me some solace, at least.

As far as wrestling goes... I don't even know why people talk about Nyla like this when ASUKA/Veny is the better trans wrestler anyway.

14 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's probably better than the previous remake being set in Washington State. I just watched it for the first time, actually both Walking Talls, for the first time last year. There's something so wrong about moving the setting out of the South; it just doesn't fit at all. Also, I love The Rock but he's too likable for the role. Joe Don Baker was perfect for the bad-ass sheriff who is simultaneously cleaning up his town/turning it into a police state.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When it comes to Arizona...the only things I think of are MLK Day not being a holiday, Warrior Academy and destrucity or however the fuck you spell it, Superstar Billy Graham, Raising Arizona, the 2001 Diamondbacks, Lute Olson, and the classic SNL sketch where Xena played Stevie Nicks selling shitty Tex-Mex in Sedona with her cocaine fueled gypsy yodeling. 

I mean, that's really all you need to know about the place. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, caley said:

It's probably better than the previous remake being set in Washington State. I just watched it for the first time, actually both Walking Talls, for the first time last year. There's something so wrong about moving the setting out of the South; it just doesn't fit at all. Also, I love The Rock but he's too likable for the role. Joe Don Baker was perfect for the bad-ass sheriff who is simultaneously cleaning up his town/turning it into a police state.

I agree in theory, but having been to Spokane, I must say that it's basically a Pacific Northwest stand-in for [insert corrupt Southern town of your choosing]. 

People don't know that a lot of the PNW is just the South, but with more pine trees. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, @Technico Support on Jim Cornette. Cornette's fucking rubbish for his homophobic, sexist, racist out of date warped POV. Corny also used the derogatory spasticness which I find offensive with Cerebral Palsy and even it wasn't a part of me, I'd still feel that way. Fuck Jim Cornette.

Further reading If anybody wants:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic

The charity for Cerebral Palsy, Scope was once called The Spastics Society but changed its name because people would use the s-word as an insult. This will be the last time I'll say the s-word in full.

Reading that Wikipedia entry, I forgot Mario Party 8 was recalled and rereleased for using the word.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I agree in theory, but having been to Spokane, I must say that it's basically a Pacific Northwest stand-in for [insert corrupt Southern town of your choosing]. 

People don't know that a lot of the PNW is just the South, but with more pine trees. 

I feel like it made a great setting for First Blood. Then again, both First Blood and the Walking Tall remake were actually shot in British Columbia.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like it made a great setting for First Blood. Then again, both First Blood and the Walking Tall remake were actually shot in British Columbia.

In a town called Hope! How do you not rework the screenplay when a story about a disillusioned veteran happens to be filmed in a town called Hope!?

When I was younger, I wanted to move there, just so I could make puns based off the name.  Anyways, they've very proud of their Rambo heritage

hd-mediaitemid76065-7223.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, completely off topic, and I don't know if anyone has answered this already, but...

Baseball is starting soon.  Where are Raw/Smackdown going to be taping in a few weeks?   The Lightning's arena?