DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

27 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

'Tisn't so.

And people clearly use "wouldn't've" all the time when speaking. Would you prefer it be transcribed as "wouldn't of"? Because that's clearly gibberish.

False.

It's "wouldn't have". The phrase "wouldn't of" isn't actually a real phrase. Common mistake. Carry on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cwoy2j said:

One thing that really makes me not have time for Jim Cornette anymore is that he's got a pattern of saying stuff like this to people either he knows won't or can't retaliate physically. There's no way in hell he'd say all that stuff about Penelope Ford to her face with Miro or Kip around. It's one thing to talk down to or slap job scared trainees like he would in OVW or physically threaten out of shape Vince Russo and quite another to denigrate the girlfriend/friend of guys who could pick their teeth with you.

He's staked his claim that he doesn't have to leave his house anymore, which kinda tells me he knows he has burned all his bridges. I find that to be cowardly as fuck, but at the same time, he's made it to where he's too toxic to be backstage and work anywhere under any circumstances.

It reminds me of the rumor (I guess it's legit because I haven't heard anyone deny it) or story of when Watts went to go work in WWF in 95. First day Watts was backstage, Diesel went up to him and said, "Up here....I eat you."  

If Cornette wasn't satisfied with kinda just being some guy in creative or basically just being an on air talent, he's going to be relegated to hanging out in catering with all the folks he was around in his old, golden days if those folks are still around. He'd probably be fine with that, but that would be an extreme waste of him. If you're going ignore all the shit he has done, you might as well let him teach the other guys. Problem is if no one besides FTR or some of these wrestlers who see themselves as throwbacks to a bygone era want to listen to him, he serves absolutely no purpose being there. Like none whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

False.

It's "wouldn't have". The phrase "wouldn't of" isn't actually a real phrase. Common mistake. Carry on.

You just said he was false, and then agreed completely with what he said, dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Reports coming out of another large COVID outbreak at NXT/Performance Centre.

Meltz is confirming.  

I can't wait for tonight when Ricochet has to face both Retribution AND the Hurt Business in back to back gauntlet matches!  

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm actually expecting him and Kacy to get FE'd within the week.  It's not like those two idiots don't plaster themselves all over Instagram.

If not for AEW existing I can see that happening.  But even with the 90-day they'll likely sit him/them out instead.

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If not for AEW existing I can see that happening.  But even with the 90-day they'll likely sit him/them out instead.

I'd make a snide-ish comment about AEW not really keen on COVID deniers in the locker room, but then I remember Pillmancito works there and never mind.

You'd be more likely to see him show up as Helios than Puma.  I'm pretty sure those LU Trademarks still exist even if LU doesn't anymore.

Edited by Raziel

14 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You'd be more likely to see him show up as Helios than Puma.  I'm pretty sure those LU Trademarks still exist even if LU doesn't anymore.

Given the way Quack was protective of his gimmicks, I wouldn't be surprised if he/Chikara owns Helios, the Ants, etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Does Ricochet own his ring name?

If you used your name before WWE, then you own it through prior use. You basically sub-contract it out to WWE during the length of your contract, if they allow you to keep a prior name. So WWE has full rights to use / promote / exploit / profit off of it until your contract ends. Then all rights revert back to the performer. It gets weird with prior use and similarities. Christian can go by Christian Cage because that's one of the names he used on the indies before WWE. But he can't be just Christian, because WWE owns that trademark and he never had prior use as only Christian anywhere.

The only real exceptions to this are if another promotion created the name / character and WWE then buys the I.P. of that promotion. So while The Dudleys used that name before WWE, the I.P. was created by ECW and was transferred to WWE when they bought ECW. That's why they had to be Team 3D when they left.

Ricochet falls under the prior use category. When he's gone he owns his name again. He started way back in the early 2000s as Ricochet and it's his to do with as he pleases.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And it's not like anything positive came out of the whole Fallon Fox saga. All it did was make people think less of Joe Rogan, even less of Matt Mitrione, and MMA fans on a whole. It's not like CFA or wherever regional promotions Fallon Fox fought in was making money hand-over-fist. Instead of trying to have this positive, nuanced conversation that's never taken place in MMA (or boxing for that matter), it immediately went to a very ugly place fairly quickly.

I mean I never even heard what Val Venis said...do people think it would go any differently with Nyla Rose? And that's with trying to make her heel based on that.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but that's pretty much what will happen. Look at the comments section on practically any article about the anti-trans in sports bills being bandied about in 20+ states. (I mean... I don't actively recommend it. It gives me a migraine.)

A lot of people have a phenomenally low understanding of what trans people are, and an unwillingness to stray from a fourth-grade understanding of science to try and improve that understanding.

And maybe that sounds bitter, but I've also been having these conversations for a decade-plus, and I'm just... really tired, y'all.

This is being a little nit picky but- "COVID denier" has become a catch all term for folks who "don't think COVID is a big deal". (Kinda like "Truther" is labelled on everything)

So yes Jericho could have had the disease but he could also be lumped into that camp because of his general viewpoints on the matter 

• Like 5

Anyway this is what Dave posted on the WON site about 15 minutes ago

There was an outbreak of COVID-19 resulting in a number of positive tests in NXT coming from the Performance Center.

Full details are unavailable past it does affect this Wednesday's NXT episode. Obviously no names are being disclosed nor has WWE addressed it publicly.

What is known is that on Thursday they were building and moving rings at the building next door to the Performance Center and it was said workers were not wearing masks. One report is that there were people who tested positive that both were and weren't there at the time.

Fightful reported earlier today that it came from something Thursday where proper precautions weren't followed.

The word broke yesterday that there was an outbreak and there were substantial numbers who tested positive. Both people testing positive, and others who had been around them, are in quarantine and would be at least through this week.

It is believed no Raw or SmackDown talent was effected by this outbreak.

• Like 1

Tangentially, I was wondering if they were keeping raw and SD people separated partially to minimize risks. 

On the new day pod, they were talking about woods and Kofi getting new gear at Raw and being sad Big E wasn't there. Which made me wonder "couldn't E have jyst come to the show and hung out backstage with them?" He lives relatively near by. And I wondered if they keeping people on the different shows apart on purpose. 

(Are there people currently working both shows currently?)

Edited by odessasteps

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is being a little nit picky but- "COVID denier" has become a catch all term for folks who "don't think COVID is a big deal". (Kinda like "Truther" is labelled on everything)

That's kinda why you need to use the correct terms because people jump immediately on things with negative connotations. If someone tweeted that _______ was a Holocaust denier and someone else tweeted someone has thoughts about certain events regarding the Holocaust, which one do you think will draw the most ire or attention? It's kinda lazy to be like, "well, you get what they mean!".

I mean, this time at least Drake Younger has to be one of the infected.

Or is he just one of those types where they're a shithead that never gets what's coming to them?

• Like 4