DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Aleister was maybe the most over guy on the NXT PPV i went to.. his entrance was crazy...   i was dumb enough to say "even WWE can't fuck this up"  

WWE find that way alright. The ones that come straight to mind:

WWE vs. WCW/ECW Invasion, 2001.

Nexus, 2010. Even John Cena admitted to Edge and Chris Jericho  backstage after Team WWE vs. Nexus at SummerSlam that he got it wrong.

Summer of Punk, 2011.

Not doing The Undertaker vs. Sting at WrestleMania XXXI but Triple H vs. Sting instead. Stupid.

Adding Charlotte Flair to Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch at WrestleMania XXXV. Rousey vs. Lynch was THE match to do.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Just because it came up a LONG time ago.... follow up regarding fans at Mania

WWE is hoping to have 45,000 fans per night at this year's two-night WrestleMania in Tampa, Florida.

Originally shooting for 30,000 per night, city officials told hotel officials in a meeting last week that WWE would like to see Raymond James Stadium at 75% capacity for April 10th and 11th. Capacity would have been 60,000 pre-pandemic.

It's unknown whether that request has been approved. Florida governor Ron DeSantis lifted all COVID-19 restrictions last fall, so it would be up to the city (Tampa Sports Authority) to determine how many fans could be allowed in.

WWE has not announced any number publicly, instead saying a "limited" number of tickets will go on-sale this Tuesday with prices from $35 to $2500 per show.

In this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer speculated what the company's approach could be:

"A Tampa WrestleMania was not a given to be a sellout as opposed to New York or Dallas which did sell out. They also could test it out by putting a smaller number on sale this week and judge from the response and then add tickets and whatever they feel they can sell becomes capacity. But with tickets going on sale so late in the game, there isn’t much time to go out and maybe put 25,000 or 30,000 seats on sale, and then judging by the demand for those tickets, then put another 15,000 to 20,000 more on sale a week later."

For all his faults, Vince has largely made the right moves to grow the company.  I'm guessing he didn't suddenly decide to try to pack more people in for WM unless he has reason to think the city will approve it.  

• Like 2

Just because the city/state approves it, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Some of us still feel a little uneasy about AEW even having a little over a thousand fans in attendance. The vaccine for everyone won’t even be available by then - despite the fact that the SuperBowl wasn’t a super spreader event, that wasn’t a wise idea either.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just because the city/state approves it, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Some of us still feel a little uneasy about AEW even having a little over a thousand fans in attendance. The vaccine for everyone won’t even be available by then - despite the fact that the SuperBowl wasn’t a super spreader event, that wasn’t a wise idea either.

As usual. We’ll have to agree to disagree.  

• Like 1

We live in a world where people dismiss the real anger, frustration, and protest of others as "performative outrage," so I'm not typically a huge fan of that term, but I will apply it here: The worst part of the "performative outrage as product" era that we live in is Jim Cornette, a guy with a fabulous historical knowledge of the business and a bunch of genuinely interesting insights into the tropes and strategies behind booking a good show, finding that there's just more money in doing a Tucker Carlson impression, but for pro wrestling. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The good thing about them breaking up his shows into segments on youtube is that it allows someone to skip unwanted subjects (be it politics or AEW). 

Or all of it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Crowd side aside, this build has been awful this year. They have no marquee matches announced. Edge-Reigns is not exactly a dream match and I'm hoping Belair-Banks can main event, realistically night 1. If they do firefly funhouse with Orton like they did Cena last year, it might be funny but I don't see too many people excited for it. They are going to cobble it together the week of again but minus the whole beginning of a pandemic excuse. Why does Strowman-McMahon have a spot on this??

Edited by Spontaneous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

And then letting him fuck his wife afterward 

I assume most of Corny issues is that Penelope was once Joey Janela girlfriend.  

I listen to Cornette's/Last shows regularly and I never took it he had any real issues at all with Penelope Ford, the person.

I remember one instance where he used slutty in combination with her and the entire act she is involved in, but in the context it seemed more directed towards her TV personality. Then again I listen mostly while doing workouts in my home gym, so maybe I miss shit. 

Whether this is a resemblance of what her character comes across as I can't say, I watch very little AEW and everytime I try they make me regret it. 

However, listening to five-six hours of the Cornette shows a week, I don't really have the impression that he dedicates lots of time to this particular person. He has candidates he goes off on on tangents, but even then it doesn't seem to be that much in the grand scheme of the podcasts. 

Maybe I'm good at selective hearing, I mostly feel like it's valid criticism and interesting history stuff decorated with some more and some less funny/acceptable insults. His rants go overboard a lot, but a lot of his points are very valid regarding today's wrestling and the historic stuff is extremely interesting to somebody like me who only retrospectively saw territory wrestling and never lived in the States. 

With the Cornette BS, I feel like when you try to go after him, it's really just validating him in the eyes of his sycophants. It's that don't feed the trolls thing. By responding to his rants, you give him more attention and "heat" that he craves.

Edited by TheVileOne

I'm not saying Cornette, the guy who frequently called the Young Bucks "twinks", wouldn't call a woman wrestler a slut. But he's also a guy who makes really dated references and Penelope Pitstop was the main character on the popular 1968 cartoon Wacky Racers.

Everything ever said about Cornette is 100% true, all of it, including things that contradict each other and stuff not actually about him and things we know for a fact are false. That's how we're going to go with things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

I listen to Cornette's/Last shows regularly and I never took it he had any real issues at all with Penelope Ford, the person.

I remember one instance where he used slutty in combination with her and the entire act she is involved in, but in the context it seemed more directed towards her TV personality. Then again I listen mostly while doing workouts in my home gym, so maybe I miss shit. 

Whether this is a resemblance of what her character comes across as I can't say, I watch very little AEW and everytime I try they make me regret it. 

That’s the thing:  Penelope’s character isn’t “slut.”  She has been in a committed relationship with the same guy on TV since she debuted with the company almost two years ago and they just got storyline married. 

But she dresses sexy!  So she must be a slut, to Men of a Certain Age, like Cornette.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

That’s the thing:  Penelope’s character isn’t “slut.”  She has been in a committed relationship with the same guy on TV since she debuted with the company almost two years ago and they just got storyline married.

Not to play devils advocate here (and I don't agree with the character is a slut bit) but they have referenced on the show that Penelope was with Joey before, it was the crux behind Kip/Joey being each other's first feud in the company.

4 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Not to play devils advocate here (and I don't agree with the character is a slut bit) but they have referenced on the show that Penelope was with Joey before, it was the crux behind Kip/Joey being each other's first feud in the company.

Their prior relationship was acknowledged during that feud, but having a prior sexual relationship with another man does not make someone a slut.  Penelope and Joey were never paired together in AEW; she’s always been committed to Kip.

• Like 10