DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Jado & Gedo had two really good 30-45 minutes matches against Kanemoto & Inoue in 05. Actually looking through the jr. tag titles history I'm kind of shocked no one has tried to match or best those time wise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Remember when the WWE split up Heavy Machinery by turning Tucker Knight heel; then they did nothing at all with Tucker while they tried pushing Otis as a singles guy; only to realize that Otis kind of sucks as a single guy, so they ended up turning Otis heel... and putting him in a tag team...

12 hours ago, username said:

Silver lining is Gable is a lot better than Tucker?

Talk about a bunch of missed opportunities all around. Gable is part of one of the best tag teams NXT has had and upon going to the main roster, American Alpha proceed to have great matches and get over once again. Then Jordan gets taken out for that boneheaded storyline as Angle's son and subsequently has to retire due to injury. Gable gets Shelton Benjamin as a new partner and pretty much picks up where he and Jordan left off, only for that team to be split up for pretty much no reason leaving Benjamin to spin his wheels until The Hurt Business comes along. Then he gets put with Bobby Roode and they slowly but surely start to gel, only for that team to get broken up as well. After that he gets stuck with a series of increasingly stupid storylines and gimmicks that he somehow manages to run with which are picked up and dropped with little notice. Now he's in team number four with Otis. The guy is ridiculously good in the ring, can talk, and has shown he can get just about anything over yet is constantly given shit to work with.

Heavy Machinery weren't shooting to the top of the card, but they were two big guys with legit amateur backgrounds and plenty of personality. I would have expected Tucker to be the breakout singles star as he had a better look and was surprisingly agile for a guy his size. Yet they turn Otis into David Sullivan and split the team up for no reason, then as mattdangerously pointed out have him turn heel after Tucker turned heel on him.

Put the three of them (and maybe Drew Gulak, who is another horribly underused guy) in a stable of amateur dudes who stretch people.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Log said:

Guys, R-Truth just likes to have fun!

(forced laugh)

Oh, just look at him dance! 

Can you imagine if Ox Baker (alive and the same gimmick) was on The Price Is Right today? One month later, Dancin' Ox Baker debuts on Raw. HE JUST LIKES MURDERING SPORTS ENTERTAINERS AND HAVING FUN!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Have we ever talked about how men in WWE lose their first name and the women lose (or never have) their last names? 

Did Bayley, Lana, or Naomi, for example, ever even have a "last name"?

Bayley was "It's Bayley" , but other than that, I don't believe so!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, The Natural said:

From the AEW Revolution 2020 thread:

---

There are match times which use the time assigned well while there are those which overstay their welcome. For examples of the former that come straight to mind: Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair at NWA Clash of the Champions VI Two out of Three Falls goes 56 minutes and is paced perfectly, the time flows by. Same goes for Ricky Steamboat's 30 Minute Iron Man Match vs. Rick Rude at WCW Beach Blast 1992. A match can overstay it's welcome by a few minutes or needed to go home a lot sooner. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels Hell in a Cell match at Bad Blood 2004 was 47 fucking minutes and went twice as long.

10 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Yep - Beach Blast came to mind. That was such a great sprint conclusion.

Owen vs the Kid at KOTR 94. 

Lesnar vs Goldberg at Mania 2017

On the other hand:

Triple H vs Shawn - Bad Blood 2004

Triple H vs Shawn - Armageddon 2002

Triple H vs Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 25

Triple H vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 32

Triple H vs Scott Steiner - Rumble 2003

Cheers, mate. I'm going to rewatch Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude from WCW Beach Blast 1992 again. The best Iron Man match and one of the best wrestling matches ever.

I agree with all your picks. So many Trips matches going too long.

---

Matches with time used perfectly:

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WWF WrestleMania 13.

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, WWF WrestleMania X.

Kenta Kobashi/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue, AJPW, 9th June 1995.

Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, AJPW, 31st October 1998.

John Cena vs. CM Punk, WWE Money in the Bank 2011.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 and Dominion 2018.

John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan, WWE SummerSlam 2013.

Went too long:

Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole, WWE WrestleMania XXVII.

Edge vs. Randy Orton, WWE WrestleMania XXXVI.

Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole's WWE NXT 2019 series.

The Undertaker vs. Shane McMahon, WrestleMania XXXII.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Have we ever talked about how men in WWE lose their first name and the women lose (or never have) their last names? 

Did Bayley, Lana, or Naomi, for example, ever even have a "last name"?

Naomi was Naomi Knight. Bayley and Lana never had last names.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So Andrade has requested his release.   Can't say I blame him based on the last 2 years.   By the way this has to be one of the few cases where the other person in the relationship hasn't been impacted once by this.

Just before anyone asks for "source???"

• Thanks 1

That sucks for BBoy, I've enjoyed his work since seeing him against Super Dragon in the early aughts. I hope he's able to get another tryout with AEW once he gets better. It sounds like the company as a whole really took care of him.

I didn't realize Andrade hasn't wrestled regularly since September. It sucks they never did more with him, but he's skilled and well regarded enough to find work pretty much anywhere.

14 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

That Almas-Black NXT title match should have lead to big things for both. Now it seems both will be out of the company barely 3 years later. Total mismanagement. 

Once we're (hopefully) out the other side of this past year, I would love to see this as a G1 Climax semi-final.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Damn, B-Boy ruptured his achilles at an AEW taping

I feel terrible for him.

Damn, that's terrible. I didn't know B-Boy was still around. I enjoyed his work back in the day in CZW. Hope he has a good recovery and has some good ones with the AEW crew.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Whoa, big implications there. Also, just saw on Twitter that NWA signed Chris Masters, he's now going by Chris Adonis

Is he still doing work with the Lakers? I still maintain the idea that he should've been brought back when he uprooted a tree to save his mom from a house fire.

That is some legit heroic shit.

• Like 4