DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

When it comes to really long matches, they all tend to be singles. Are there any memorable or exceptionally good tag matches (by that I mean regular two on two matches as opposed to Survivor Series/Wargames type matches) that went 60+ minutes?

5 hours ago, AxB said:

What is R-Truth's finishing move? Is it still that sit out Gourdbuster?

Does he need a finisher?  I don't remember when I last saw Truth win a match with something besides some sort of fluke flash pin.  His tv winning percentage can't be good outside of the 24/7 nonsense.

I don't think he's used the gourdbuster as a finisher for many years.  He was winning house show matches with a leaping spinning elbow.  Before that, in the mid-2010's, he was using some sort of reverse sto drop.  I think I've seen him break out the gourdbuster mid-match a few times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I don't think he's used the gourdbuster as a finisher for many years.  He was winning house show matches with a leaping spinning elbow.  Before that, in the mid-2010's, he was using some sort of reverse sto drop.  I think I've seen him break out the gourdbuster mid-match a few times.

Correct, he won the US title in 2010 with the leaping spinning elbow (The Lie Detector), and later used the reverse STO move, originally called "The Whats Up" and later renamed "The Little Jimmy" 

• Like 1

This is not some weird contrarian thing, because I've always loved Truth, but I'll always feel like he's missed potential. Obviously, he has a great spot with WWE, probably good pay for the stuff he's doing, but no one will sway me from the opinion that a "serious" Truth run would have drawn big time, or at the very least been great TV. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

You know what peaked in 2011... Awesome Truth. Who has the 24/7 championship? Bad Bunny, who is feuding with Miz. Awesome Truth vs Bad Bunny/Damien Priest at Wrestlemania. 

And it gave us "crazy psycho homeless" Truth - 

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is not some weird contrarian thing, because I've always loved Truth, but I'll always feel like he's missed potential. Obviously, he has a great spot with WWE, probably good pay for the stuff he's doing, but no one will sway me from the opinion that a "serious" Truth run would have drawn big time, or at the very least been great TV. 

Since the Awesome Truth run in 2011 I've wanted Truth to be the 'Yin' to John Cena's 'Yang'.

Bring back the Dr of Thuganomics for a short 'fun' nostalgia run and then let Truth MURDER him on the mic, just once, and then go full Raven/Dreamer style with Cena never being able to beat him. They can both go off and do other things but any time we see Cena and Truth face off, Truth is winning. They would even be great in the 'Enemies have to team up to take down a bigger threat and why not win the tag titles along the way' story line that Vince loves to run.

I think it could have been perfect putting a lower/midcard guy over like that. That no matter how bad the rest of the roster kicks his ass, he still has it over the Ace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

He was solid in TNA, where they also misused him.

• Like 2

Truth seems to be a guy who lucked out from Vince’s stubbornness in first impressions. Just as there are some blokes he just didn’t get and can never seem to get behind (Aleister Black comes to mind), there are others that he is enamoured with and have a great relationship, like Truth. Good on him riding it out well into his 40s as he has done.

15 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

And it gave us "crazy psycho homeless" Truth - 

I enjoy that the crowd stopped with the WHATs because they found Truth's rant to be genuinely funny. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hagan said:

I took what Crews is doing as a knock off Black Panther/Killmonger sort of character. 

I watched Coming 2 America on Friday before SD came on and my first thought when he came down the ramp was “oh no, oh god no”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Since the Awesome Truth run in 2011 I've wanted Truth to be the 'Yin' to John Cena's 'Yang'.

Him turning on Morrison and on into his program with Cena was really good. He got to come across as a real threat on the flipside to that though, he  ended up being more of a comedy act when Vince decided he needed to be a lifelong babygace. I know he's over with Vince so he's probably more secure with his job than most.

If you think about it , He's just as synonymous with TNA as AJ Styles and he's probably just as synonymous with this current era of WWE

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I watched Coming 2 America on Friday before SD came on and my first thought when he came down the ramp was “oh no, oh god no”

Vince must've just seen the first one. It's been out long enough. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hagan said:

I took what Crews is doing as a knock off Black Panther/Killmonger sort of character. 

Same.  I assumed Vince tried to turn on Dynamite, got the time wrong, and caught Black Panther instead.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Same.  I assumed Vince tried to turn into Dynamite, got the time wrong, and caught Black Panther instead.

"We should get this T'Challa guy on Raw."

"...Uh Vince er...."

?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Remember when the WWE split up Heavy Machinery by turning Tucker Knight heel; then they did nothing at all with Tucker while they tried pushing Otis as a singles guy; only to realize that Otis kind of sucks as a single guy, so they ended up turning Otis heel... and putting him in a tag team...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

From the AEW Revolution 2020 thread:

---

There are match times which use the time assigned well while there are those which overstay their welcome. For examples of the former that come straight to mind: Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair at NWA Clash of the Champions VI Two out of Three Falls goes 56 minutes and is paced perfectly, the time flows by. Same goes for Ricky Steamboat's 30 Minute Iron Man Match vs. Rick Rude at WCW Beach Blast 1992. A match can overstay it's welcome by a few minutes or needed to go home a lot sooner. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels Hell in a Cell match at Bad Blood 2004 was 47 fucking minutes and went twice as long.

Yep - Beach Blast came to mind. That was such a great sprint conclusion.

Owen vs the Kid at KOTR 94. 

Lesnar vs Goldberg at Mania 2017

On the other hand:

Triple H vs Shawn - Bad Blood 2004

Triple H vs Shawn - Armageddon 2002

Triple H vs Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 25

Triple H vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 32

Triple H vs Scott Steiner - Rumble 2003

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Same.  I assumed Vince tried to turn on Dynamite, got the time wrong, and caught Black Panther instead.

That means we came close to Crews being The Equalizer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5