DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

5 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I also hate shitty sitout moves and shitty pin attempts were wrestlers lean on opponents with their back adding a leg hook and it doesn't look like there is any pressure / leverage on the opponent.

My main issue with those pins is they’re almost always used close to the ropes and completely telegraph the foot on the rope spot. I don’t know why more guys don’t make the opponent grab the rope instead to make themselves look like less of an idiot.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

So apparently there are "stories" that the WWE is going to fine wrestlers for slapping their legs on kick.   In other news 65% of the NXT roster will be on Dynamite in the next month

It's fun sometimes when WWE/Vince comes up with these petty mandates out the  blue. Wrestling is always diverse as far as how different wrestlers execution certain things like certain wrestlers throw punches certain ways of kick a certain way or run the ropes a certain way. Slapping the thigh was become a pet peeve to alot of people only because it's become a way to shit on alot of the modern indie inspired wrestlers. Some people know how to do it in a way where it doesn't seem to obvious, unless you are looking for it. 

54 minutes ago, Log said:

Really, shouldn’t every wrestling company just have a mandate that wrestlers don’t do shit they can’t pull off well?

if only.

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Wrestling is always diverse as far as how different wrestlers execution certain things like certain wrestlers throw punches certain ways of kick a certain way or run the ropes a certain way.

the way Lance Storm kicks/stomps a downed opponent used to really bother me. He's got this sort of flutter kick that looks awkward. Once i saw him do it, i noticed it from a few other guys (notably the British Bulldogs) and grew to accept it. Hell, i even kinda like how it stands out now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

Really, shouldn’t every wrestling company just have a mandate that wrestlers don’t do shit they can’t pull off well?

It's funny you say that - when I was reading the thread last night before bed, I thought about Trish Stratus giving someone advice on Tough Enough back in the day for blowing a kip up - "If you can't do it, don't do it." 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D.Z said:

I remember the AJPW sound effects match from the 90's.

Now I want a match with piped-in sound effects for submissions, like the ones in Fire Pro Wrestling where it’s a winching sound and the ref just asking “Give up? Give up? Give up?” on a loop.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Wait, Dave TRULY believes problems of people with obvious leg slapping for every strike is some anti Young Bucks thing?! Is he trolling or has he really lost the plot? 

I hated that kind of leg slapping since 2004 and know the exact moment, I didn't hate the Young Bucks before they were in TNA! 

1) Dave is lucky if the only instance he’s seen of someone doing a poorly timed thigh kick is Nikki Bella doing a dropkick.

2) It seems like a very Dave thing to point out someone like Nikki Bella doing it poorly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, I watched that show maybe two weeks ago. It's crazy to hear Jim Ross from 30 years ago be super interested in calling a New Japan match with Jushin Liger. Moreover, he knew the backstory of Liger and Benoit in NJPW.

That show also had one of my favorite squashes of all time, Big Josh manhandling HOF worthy wimpy "Gentleman" Jim Clontz. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's funny you say that - when I was reading the thread last night before bed, I thought about Trish Stratus giving someone advice on Tough Enough back in the day for blowing a kip up - "If you can't do it, don't do it." 

No wonder she turned heel on Jericho. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Now I want a match with piped-in sound effects for submissions, like the ones in Fire Pro Wrestling where it’s a winching sound and the ref just asking “Give up? Give up? Give up?” on a loop.

That would be great only make it Stan Hansen yelling "ASK HIM!" 

16 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The only person I've ever caught doing that super obviously is Ricochet

@thee Reverend Axl FutureI remember reading the kickpad rumor in '99 but I never got confirmation, and it's bothered me for years!

15 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I first heard it from a(n indy) worker. I don't know if they got it from a newsstand magazine or what, but then when I scoffed another young indy worker chimed in with the idea that it was Tajiri's special pants that made that sound. I guess you can work a worker, and everyone is not as carny or canny as they think they are. I gladly spread these rumors as it amused me (fake rassling news?), sort of a meta-kayfabe. How droll I am.

- RAF

10 hours ago, Leonidas said:

First time I'm hearing this, bloody hilarious! Please do continue to spread this rumour.

I read that on 1wrestling's questions from fans section back in probably 2001.  Whoever wrote the article said he saw Tajiri warming up before the show, throwing kicks at the air and making noise, and speculated Tajiri had a noisemaker in his pants.  So just like me and some other people here, the writer probably just didn't pay attention to notice thigh slaps.

10 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Random question inspired by a dream last night - other than David Otunga, are/were there any other lawyer/wrestlers out there?

Veda Scott?  Wikipedia says she graduated from Drexel's law school, but nothing about passing the bar, so I don't know.  EDIT: beaten to it by @AxB

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Random question inspired by a dream last night - other than David Otunga, are/were there any other lawyer/wrestlers out there?

Let's see...

Baron Von Raschke, Blue Blazer, Daniel Bryan come to mind. They all had capes, so, I assume they were lawyers as well.

I am missing some.

--

Edit: How could I forget Hurricane?

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Based on the conversation earlier this week:

On the Drive Thru, JC is doing practice Cameos and said he wished he had an iPhone when he was filming SMW and it could have saved them having a TV truck. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Good call. Wikipedia says yes, you’re right.

And according to Bruce (Prichard), Clarence would advise the wrestlers on what they should do. I'm guessing Bruce is insinuating he was advising them on contractual matters since he also stated that's what got him (Clarence Mason) into trouble.

So yeah, that part of WWE has never changed. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Based on the conversation earlier this week:

On the Drive Thru, JC is doing practice Cameos and said he wished he had an iPhone when he was filming SMW and it could have saved them having a TV truck. 

Dude, if he was going to jail over destroying folks cars due to cameras he gave to people and whatnot, how the hell will he manage having an iPhone just for TV production? I would hazard a guess and say the iPhone would be more expensive than the equipment he was actually using.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

You just know it would be a borrowed iPhone from somebody coming in to work the territory as an extra payday, and the video quality would switch whenever they left to go work a better spot. 

Cornette strikes me as a guy who would lose his phone, think someone stole it, flip out and go after whoever he personally suspects stole it, eventually find it in between his washer and dryer, and then refuse to apologize afterwards. Get his balls sued off in court. Just a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

There's an attorney in Florida who bills himself as a professional wrestler.  Frank Santini,  Anyone heard of him?  I know nothing about him, so I googled him and didn't turn up a whole lot.  He has a website for his law firm that touts past cases and past work history, so the lawyer part at least looks legit.  He apparently promoted some shows under the name "Legends of Wrestling" and it looks like Jimmy Hart and Brian Knobbs were involved.  Google didn't turn up anything to verify he wrestled except a photo on the Legends website of him with a belt slung over one shoulder.  Neither of his websites say anything more specific about his wrestling career than that he trained under Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair (?).  If he wrestled, it probably wasn't under the name "Frank Santini".

I'm guessing he's mostly legit, but who knows.  It struck me as odd that he was promoting his law practice by vaguely bragging about being a wrestler.  if anyone knows more, I'm curious.

Edited by Eoae

11 minutes ago, Eoae said:

There's an attorney in Florida who bills himself as a professional wrestler.  Frank Santini,  Anyone heard of him?  I know nothing about him, so I googled him and didn't turn up a whole lot.  He has a website for his law firm that touts past cases and past work history, so the lawyer part at least looks legit.  He apparently promoted some shows under the name "Legends of Wrestling" and it looks like Jimmy Hart and Brian Knobbs were involved.  Google didn't turn up anything to verify he wrestled except a photo on the Legends website of him with a belt slung over one shoulder.  Neither of his websites say anything more specific about his wrestling career than that he trained under Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair (?).  If he wrestled, it probably wasn't under the name "Frank Santini".

Well that part about Hogan and Flair certainly sounds legit and not at all like he just picked the two most famous names from the 80s to bolster a bullshit claim.