DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

From the WON that just came out (emphasis mine)

Wait, Dave TRULY believes problems of people with obvious leg slapping for every strike is some anti Young Bucks thing?! Is he trolling or has he really lost the plot? 

I hated that kind of leg slapping since 2004 and know the exact moment, I didn't hate the Young Bucks before they were in TNA! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

December show match was 2/3 falls and 34 mins

Previous month show was a 45 min draw 

They showed an extended clip on the 12/7/91 edition of World Championship Wrestling of the Thanksgiving Night 45 minute draw (TBS was on freeview that weekend and 13 year old me was in heaven lol)

That show also had a killer Liger/Benoit match from New Japan.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

They showed an extended clip on the 12/7/91 edition of World Championship Wrestling of the Thanksgiving Night 45 minute draw (TBS was on freeview that weekend and 13 year old me was in heaven lol)

That show also had a killer Liger/Benoit match from New Japan.

Man, I watched that show maybe two weeks ago. It's crazy to hear Jim Ross from 30 years ago be super interested in calling a New Japan match with Jushin Liger. Moreover, he knew the backstory of Liger and Benoit in NJPW.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, I watched that show maybe two weeks ago. It's crazy to hear Jim Ross from 30 years ago be super interested in calling a New Japan match with Jushin Liger. Moreover, he knew the backstory of Liger and Benoit in NJPW.

I've been saying for awhile that Excalibur is almost exactly who JR used to be.

Especially the days when WWF had the Vince/Ross/Lawler three man booth, Vince did ptp and Ross chimed in with move names, backgrounds, etc. Sometimes clearly annoying Vince. Just like Excalibur with Ross now (Tony and Lawler don't really line up to make this perfect though)

• Like 4

The only person allowed to do the thigh-slap in my book is Tajiri. Adams gets a pass (and he's dead). All other should buy that solenoid kick noisemaker that Tajiri was rumored to hide in his baggy shiny vines.

- RAF

p.s. - I liked Wrestling 2's backslap and thought it could be justified as part of thee effectiveness of the kneelift, as with Jake Roberts' (less consistent) DDT percussion.

p.p.s. - I was taught to punch with a stomp. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've been saying for awhile that Excalibur is almost exactly who JR used to be.

Especially the days when WWF had the Vince/Ross/Lawler three man booth, Vince did ptp and Ross chimed in with move names, backgrounds, etc. Sometimes clearly annoying Vince. Just like Excalibur with Ross now (Tony and Lawler don't really line up to make this perfect though)

I believe I said this exact same thing here not too long. That was Ross' job pretty much. When Vince and Lawler were done speaking, he got his shit in.

The obvious examples of the stuff you mentioned (backgrounds of the wrestlers specifically) were anything to do with Doug Furnas, Pillman, and Dr. Death, but my specific example for Jim in that role probably pissing off Vince is at Survivor Series 96 when Austin comes out and Ross mentions the first time he saw Austin was when he was a rookie seven years earlier in the Sportatorium. Now THAT probably pissed Vince off because you weren't suppose to be referencing stuff that happened outside WWF even then (Vince ignored it and moved on). That itself is funny. When they did the Pillman stuff where Austin reinjured Pillman's ankle on Superstars just a week or so earlier, Austin in storyline overtly references "carrying" Pillman when they were a tag team even though he never says the name, the Hollywood Blondes.

When Austin makes his entrance and just looks a goddamn bonafide star (the outrageous amount of authentic swagger he has coming out in the Garden....you can't teach that), Ross despite being right in the middle of the goofy fake Diesel/Razor stuff unconsciously declares this is THE guy just through the above random factoid he spewed. It's basically saying, "I knew he was a superstar when I first met him, WCW didn't know what to do with him for almost 4 1/2 years, and guess what? We do!". Man. What a time to be a fan. 

• Like 3

Leg slaps are perfectly fine when used for certain strikes, but when you do it so much that your thigh is beet red and covered in handprints by the end of the match? Yeah you're fucking up. It's not that the concept in itself is bad, but when it's a crutch for 90% of your moves, you end up looking ridiculous. 

Personally, I like the ol' foot stomp for added sound, and then maybe a BIG important strike gets a loud thigh SLAP!!! and everybody goes OOHHHHHH yeah, yeah that shit connects. Thigh slaps ten times in a row for basic kicks, elbows, a headbutt, and a dropkick? Takes the magic away. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

To cover the obvious thigh slapping, they should start doing those Batman POW! etc. graphics instead.

Or they can do the Lucha Underground thing where they played a canned version of a leg slap and the wrestlers themselves really didn't do it as much

7 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Leg slaps are perfectly fine when used for certain strikes, but when you do it so much that your thigh is beet red and covered in handprints by the end of the match? Yeah you're fucking up. It's not that the concept in itself is bad, but when it's a crutch for 90% of your moves, you end up looking ridiculous. 

Personally, I like the ol' foot stomp for added sound, and then maybe a BIG important strike gets a loud thigh SLAP!!! and everybody goes OOHHHHHH yeah, yeah that shit connects. Thigh slaps ten times in a row for basic kicks, elbows, a headbutt, and a dropkick? Takes the magic away. 

Asuka/Veny among others is really good at thigh slapping for her huge slap to the face. Perfectly timed, subtle, and I'm so busy watching her wind up that I barely notice her thigh slap. 

• Like 2

It's when you spot someone doing thigh slaps on a chop to the chest, that you really question what the point is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, username said:

People doing thigh slaps on things like headbutts are what drive me nuts, it's like these people have never actually seen (or more importantly heard) an actual headbutt in their lives.

Kento Miyahara gets a nice thud when he hits his heel on the Korakuen floor when doing a headbutt.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@thee Reverend Axl FutureI remember reading the kickpad rumor in '99 but I never got confirmation, and it's bothered me for years!

I first heard it from a(n indy) worker. I don't know if they got it from a newsstand magazine or what, but then when I scoffed another young indy worker chimed in with the idea that it was Tajiri's special pants that made that sound. I guess you can work a worker, and everyone is not as carny or canny as they think they are. I gladly spread these rumors as it amused me (fake rassling news?), sort of a meta-kayfabe. How droll I am.

- RAF

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I remember the AJPW sound effects match from the 90's.

Oh God, Hansen vs Akiyama is the one I remember. Mainly because a friend of mine always brings it up. 

I think it's perfectly fine to hate both, leg slapping and crappy submissions. Submissions are more stationary and easier to spot. I also hate shitty sitout moves and shitty pin attempts were wrestlers lean on opponents with their back adding a leg hook and it doesn't look like there is any pressure / leverage on the opponent.

Maybe it's time to get a house with lawn so I can yell at the young people to get off it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

The only person allowed to do the thigh-slap in my book is Tajiri. Adams gets a pass (and he's dead). All other should buy that solenoid kick noisemaker that Tajiri was rumored to hide in his baggy shiny vines.

- RAF

p.s. - I liked Wrestling 2's backslap and thought it could be justified as part of thee effectiveness of the kneelift, as with Jake Roberts' (less consistent) DDT percussion.

p.p.s. - I was taught to punch with a stomp. 

Adams was the best. I never caught it when I was watching WCCW as a teen or when I rewatched WCCW for my old World Cast podcast. Slaps are fine, just learn from Chris Adams and figure it out. 
Now, don't learn ANYTHING ELSE from Chris Adams. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am dragging through a monstrous stack of Observers from the past year (gifted from my pal) at toiletside, and WOW a lot of luchadors have been dying, cayendo como moscas if you will, mostly from the COVIDs. Did Meltzer get a informant for South of the Border obituaries or is this some tragic statistical anomaly? Granted, many of them I have never heard of, but that makes me more curious about the source of DM's... um... source. Maybe from the CMLL union?

descansa en paz,

RAF

8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

All other should buy that solenoid kick noisemaker that Tajiri was rumored to hide in his baggy shiny vines.

First time I'm hearing this, bloody hilarious! Please do continue to spread this rumour.