DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 49th Anniversary Show/New Japan Cup 2021/Sakura Genesis 2021.

The Natural

Schedule:

EvOYPs0U4AAZLY4?format=jpg&name=900x900

Figured a thread for all three made sense taking place in March and how the winner of the New Japan Cup goes into Sakura Genesis challenging the champion of his choosing. Be nice to have a surprise winner. I'm rooting for Zack Sabre Jr.

At some point Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi has to happen again for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Tanahashi beat Ibushi in the G1 Climax 28 Finals in one of the best matches of all time. A ***** affair. I'd save that for Dominion as that's one of the big shows. What's the biggest show after the G1? It used to be King of Pro-Wrestling. I miss that one.

Copied and pasted from f4wonline.com:

Here is the full card for the March 4 event:

• Kota Ibushi vs. El Desperado in a special singles match
  • New Japan Cup first round: Tetsuya Natio vs. The Great-O-Khan
  • New Japan Cup first round: Satoshi Kojima vs. Jeff Cobb
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, David Finlay, Toa Henare, and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. EVIL, KENTA, Chase Owens, Jay White, and Taiji Ishimori
  • Master Wato, Gabriel Kidd, Tomoaki Honma and Hirooki Goto vs. Taichi, Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr., and DOUKI

Useless bugger couldn't spell Naito right.

Since this is for the first challenge at the new IWGP World Heavyweight championship I have to really think about who wins this. I don't want to see Ibushi-White again so soon but it would not shock me. The only two making any overtures were Okada and White, both logical choices.

There are always upsets though. Could see Shingo upset Okada and go the Finals. Okada went to the Finals the last two years. I could also see Khan upset Naito which could spare us the one thousandth rematch between them. Ospreay could make a deep run.

To just throw a pick out there, Shingo vs Jay White in the Finals. Jay wins.

Since it is a new title it'll be an accolade guys like Okada don't have. Should create some intriguing matches. 

I never expect anything from Sanada so I doubt it's going to be him. I know a lot of people are thinking it's going to be Okada since Okada has been out of the title picture for so long, but that feels too obvious.

Considering we're still in the COVID era, I wonder if Gedo is still going to try something different here. For me, that could be both good or bad. Bad in the sense that I could almost see Khan beating Naito in an upset. If that happens, Khan looks like he'll have a clear lane to the finals and I fucking hate Khan. On the good side, maybe this is finally the time where Ishii gets a run, but Ishii would likely have to go through Osprey and probably White to get there, so who knows.

Who am I kidding. It's going to be Osprey. I would be ok with that.

20 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I think it is about time Khan beats someone who is not a jobber and Ishii is probably going out in first round.

Sadly, you're probably right on both. Man, I really don't like Khan. He feels so un-NJPW to me.

• Like 1

I like Khan. He continues to develop his moveset nicely and improve in the ring. If he is in the G1 this year then I think more people will get behind him. I think he beats Naito. A win here does more for him and it's featured on the Anniversary Show.

Gedo always does a good job with making these tournaments so unpredictable. I doubt it's Okada but I could see Ospreay beat him in the Finals. 

• Like 2

NJPW will hold event at Yokohama Stadium on May 15, 29 years later since FMW used that place. Also another Tokyo Dome event this year on May 29.

pmLHjeSo?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 2