DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

I think WandaVision did a good job appealing to the hardcores, the casual fans, and those people who just checked it out because it was getting hype/the sitcom homages.  

For example, the showrunner said in a recent interview that she didn’t know they were going to reveal that Monica had been cast and had expected that to be revealed on the show.  That reveal still works for the casuals and such, but the hardcores get an extra layer of “why is Monica pretending to be Geraldine?” Same for Fietro. The let you know he’s not her brother, but it has extra layers for the hardcores, re: the X-Men.

I think I lean more towards Rippa’s view that there are a whole lot more casual fans out there that watch this stuff because it’s the big pop culture thing. My wife has seen almost of all the marvel movies and couldn’t tell you much detail about any of them.  Even among the hardcores, there are presumably people who are into all the movie stuff who haven’t actually read most of the comics stuff they’re based on.

• Like 3

@Craig H knowing you're a fan of Kathryn Hahn.

The music was such a key part to WandaVision's appeal. Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez did a great job. I didn't know till today both have won the Academy Award for Best Original Song twice: Let it Go (Frozen, 2013) and Remember Me (Coco, 2017).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I’d forgotten during the initial chat that Emma Canfield was in this. 

I just finished this a few nights ago (after watching it weekly until about ep. 7 then getting busy and abandoning it) and I had no idea who she played.  Had to google her to figure out she played Dottie.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:47 PM, Eoae said:

I just finished this a few nights ago (after watching it weekly until about ep. 7 then getting busy and abandoning it) and I had no idea who she played.  Had to google her to figure out she played Dottie.

When I was watching, I knew she looked familiar, but didn't know who it was until the credits. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reportedly there have been some subtle changes made to the post credit scene of the last episode.

I haven't been able to find a shareable version yet but it apparently now shows a "shadowy figure" in the mountains while the camera pans to the log cabin. (They also supposedly changed the scenery and updated the credits).

Some folks are thinking it is just a fan edit but others are saying that you can see it in the version that is currently on Disney+

EDIT - https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/marvel-studios-wandavision-now-playing-an-alternate-post-credit-scene/

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Matt D said:

Whole bunch of Emmy nominations for WandaVision.

WandaVision deserves those Emmy nominations. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier with very little. Hope Loki follows WandaVision.

Edited by The Natural

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally finished watching this show. Good stuff. My two main reactions:

Using "Agatha Harkness" as that character's name was an odd choice. Surely Marvel has had an evil witch or two over the decades that they could have taken a name from?

Second, more climactic superhero battles should be resolved through discussion of famous philosophical conundra.

Who’s been the talk of telly fans ever since her scene-stealing performance in WandaVision? Why, it was Kathryn Hahn all along, of course! One of the standout elements of the time-hopping, sitcom-simulating Disney+ series was Hahn as Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision’s (Paul Bettany), nosy neighbour Agnes. Later revealed to be Agatha Harkness, a powerful witch looking to steal Wanda’s abilities, the character was such a hit that Disney+ has now confirmed she has her own show on the way.

Aside from Hahn’s impeccable facial expressions and delightful fourth-wall breaking, it was the reveal of Harkness’s villainy through the medium of brilliantly bouncy song ‘Agatha All Along’ that shot the character to superhero superstardom. Speaking to Empire for our new The Book Of Boba Fett issue, Hahn talks about when she first heard the tune – and how she simply had to do the vocals herself. “I put headphones on, listened to it and stared slack-jawed at Matt [Shakman], who was looking at me with such a grin,” she recalls. “It was going to be called, I think, ‘That’s So Agatha’, but then they settled on ‘Agatha All Along’, which was, of course, so perfect. I got asked about singing it and I said they’d have to pry it out of my hands – there’s no way anybody else was singing it!”

The rug-pulling melody appeared at the very end of the show’s seventh episode, delivered via clips exposing Agatha’s mischievous deeds throughout the various decades Wanda had generated as part of her televised illusion. Even before ‘Agatha All Along’ was finalised, Hahn and director Matt Shakman were conscious of capturing the perfect footage for it. “At the end of each decade [shoot], Matt would say, ‘Okay, the theme song',” Hahn explains. “And then we would spend 45 minutes shooting my little sections for what would ultimately be the reveal. Just me clowning around staring at the camera, and that was before we had recorded the song.”

---

I read Empire today and thought straight of my friend, @Craig H.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

i binged WandaVision today. hadn't seen it or read reviews or even spoilers, but was vaguely aware of some story moments. alternately, i have read quite a few comics so knew some potentialities. 

quite enjoyed it. don't think i would have liked watching it weekly, especially the first couple episodes.

the finale left too many plots untapped for ne, tho:

1. Wanda gets away scot-free? not even a vague threat from any authorities? she kidnapped, imprisoned, and brainwashed an entire town for WEEKS. if anyone didn't die, it would be a miracle (after all, they weren't allowed to sleep!)

2. where did white Vision go? i a tually assumed they would merge, but then he just....flew away?

3. what happened to the SWORD agent/beekeeper? he gets pulled into town and is never referenced or shown again. i'm worried for him.

4. Monica seemed insanely calm when she got shot. like, she didn't notice that her body changed to literally stop bullets? how was she not freaking out, even a little?

i loved changing the sitcom style by the decade. so good. loved the storyline and the cracks in the facade. loved the bit with X-Men Quicksilver. people were expecting mutants and Mephisto? i mean, i can understand a mutant reference or something, but come on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twiztor said:

i binged WandaVision today. hadn't seen it or read reviews or even spoilers, but was vaguely aware of some story moments. alternately, i have read quite a few comics so knew some potentialities. 

quite enjoyed it. don't think i would have liked watching it weekly, especially the first couple episodes.

1. Wanda gets away scot-free? not even a vague threat from any authorities? she kidnapped, imprisoned, and brainwashed an entire town for WEEKS. if anyone didn't die, it would be a miracle (after all, they weren't allowed to sleep!)

2. where did white Vision go? i a tually assumed they would merge, but then he just....flew away?

3. what happened to the SWORD agent/beekeeper? he gets pulled into town and is never referenced or shown again. i'm worried for him.

4. Monica seemed insanely calm when she got shot. like, she didn't notice that her body changed to literally stop bullets? how was she not freaking out, even a little?

i loved changing the sitcom style by the decade. so good. loved the storyline and the cracks in the facade. loved the bit with X-Men Quicksilver. people were expecting mutants and Mephisto? i mean, i can understand a mutant reference or something, but come on.

Yeah, the finale was my least favourite episode regrettably. #1 in particular. Only Loki has stuck the landing.

On 2/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, twiztor said:

1. I mean it wasn't all her fault. She was treated like trash by SWORD after she was revived, and Agatha was mentally brainwashing and manipulating her. Plus, the SWORD director was not on the up and up.

2. Now that VISION 2.0 has gained some level of self-awareness, it's like he's been reborn. I imagine he left to ruminate and explore his newfound sense of identity. 

3. I would presume the agent was able to recover after Wanda's spell was lifted and she left Westview.

4. Seemed like she was acting on instinct and she cared more about protecting the kids. 

5. The show was made post-Fox merger I suppose and people set their expectations unrealistically high. Some people thought Reed Richards was going to show up as an engineer. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

5. The show was made post-Fox merger I suppose and people set their expectations unrealistically high. Some people thought Reed Richards was going to show up as an engineer. 

There was sooooo much speculation as to all of these new characters that were going to show up on that show.  I stopped paying attention to all of that chatter on subsequent Disney+ Marvel series, and I think it helped me enjoy them all a lot more.

• Like 1