DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

She has little patience for the long game. She was interested in Star Wars and Darth Vader, so we tried starting with Phantom Menace but she wanted to jump right to the little kid becoming Darth Vader. 

In other words, I’ve lost all control of my household.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I figure y’all will get a kick out of this.  My 6 yr old tricked my wife into letting her watch the first several episodes of WandaVision, so I was trying to give her (very high level) background info on what happened in Infinity War/Endgame with the snap and such. When I explained that the people who disappeared came back five years later in the same place they were when they disappeared, she immediately asked, “But what would happen if they built a city or something where the person was?!?” 

I know Craig touched on this a couple months ago but I would love to see the dark side of everybody coming back 5 years later.  Don't think they would do it but there's so many questions about the unintended side effects. 

As for the episode if we're getting high-quality stuff from this show imagine how well done the rest of the shows will be. We're in for a super fun year, folks. I really am withholding temptation to use the Orson Welles clapping gif but damn was that worthy of it. 

And yeah Vision's line about grief was top notch. Whoever wrote that deserves a raise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m curious why you think it would be the worst bullshit.  I don’t necessarily disagree that it could feel like a cop out, depending on how it’s handled/explained, but I also think they’ve laid enough groundwork that it could work.  Wanda’s powers were augmented/affected by the mind gem; Vision is Vision because of the mind gem. White Vision is Vision’s actual body, and while we don’t know exactly how Wanda-Vision was created, based on the orange/yellow color of the magic when he was formed, as opposed to the red magic affecting the rest of the town, it’s likely he was formed, to some extent, with the mind gem’s power.  They’ve laid as much groundwork as possible, I think. I don’t think that’s the direction they’re going in, especially given what this is supposed to lead into, but the reason people seem to think that’s where it is going is because they’ve actually laid sufficient groundwork.

You’re talking about plot, which is fine, but I’m talking about bullshit in terms of character arc.  The end of the story HAS to be about her coming to terms with reality and letting him go.  That’s the whole point of the story:  She couldn’t let him go and, as a result, made a terrible emotional decision that hurt a lot of people!  The truly heroic thing for Wanda here isn’t beating Agatha or FrankenVision—it’s realizing that she has to move on and letting Vision go.  That’s the type of fundamental, A to B character growth that stories are supposed to deliver.  

But if it all culminates in a big “Oops, my bad about Westview, but at least I got my man back!”...That would just be incredibly wrongheaded.  In that ending, the core issue—the inciting incident of the whole story—is left unresolved; she hasn’t dealt with her grief, she’s just figured out a way to make the security blanket she conjured up permanent.  Her A to B character growth is from “Living in the Hex with the fake Vision she created to deal with her grief” to “Living in the real world with the fake Vision she created to deal with her grief.”  Not exactly powerful stuff.

Unless the plan really is to slow burn a Wanda heel turn (and I don’t think it is), there really isn’t a worse outcome for her character than getting to “keep” her Vision.  I’d like to think Marvel is smart enough to not bungle a pretty basic storytelling beat like that, but they have been known to try to have their cake and eat it, too, with this sort of stuff.  Used to do that shit with Tony Stark, like, every other movie.

• Like 2

I'm 100% positive Westview Vision doesn't make it out of the battle with the SWORD Vision. He's obviously going to sacrifice himself to save the residents of Westview and Wanda and their kids. I can already picture a scene where she's going to lose him for basically the third or forth time, and has to accept the fact that "her" Vision is about to die but it's under his terms this time. If Wanda can rip out the heart of Ultron, create vibranium from thin air, get more licks in on Past Thanos in Endgame than anyone else not named Captain America, etc. than she shouldn't have a problem with SWORD Vision - so I imagine she'll be off with her kids fighting Agatha, while her Vision is handling... err, himself. 

Two people created inside of the Hex surviving it is one thing, but three might be a little too much. Someone has to die, and it's not going to be the kids. Not with all of the Young Avengers they've got running around in these upcoming shows, and even in the next Dr. Strange movie.

I think some of you keep making some big assumptions in that the kids are staying or that Vision will stay with Wanda if he manages to survive. After what she did here and realizing what he is I have trouble seeing him want to stay with her any time soon if he survives. Lets make something clear, in reality he is not her Vision. He is her semi-idolized version of Vision and seems to be his own person despite that. Its going to be hard for him to reconcile everything and be with her without some time between them. Beyond that Wanda is almost certainly going to be taken in by Strange at the end so she can learn what she is. There also isn't a realistic way the kids should make it out alive if Vision can't leave  the Hex without being torn apart. People keep assuming they survive because of Young Avengers, but they are too young right now with no reason to believe they will be aged up again before this is over. The lineup also doesn't necessarily need them or is even focused on the originals. They also could just seemingly die and be revived in another form like they were in the comics. Whatever the case I don't see Wanda walking away with a happy ending after everything that has gone down.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Yeah, if Wanda ends up getting the real Vision back without showing the ability to accept her grief and move on and everything ends happily, then I’d agree with EVA.  Luckily, I don’t think a single thing in the show or anywhere else has pointed to that sort of a happy ending. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Unless the plan really is to slow burn a Wanda heel turn (and I don’t think it is), there really isn’t a worse outcome for her character than getting to “keep” her Vision.

She’s either the villain or the MacGuffin in Doctor Strange 2, so the tower you are building here seems a bit quizzical at best.

• Like 2

Billy & Tommy are surviving the finale, I don’t know how people can’t see that. The Young Avengers team doesn’t need them? Who else do they have in the immediate pipeline? I can think of just four, all females, and some of them aren’t even in the team in the comics.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Billy & Tommy are surviving the finale, I don’t know how people can’t see that. The Young Avengers team doesn’t need them? Who else do they have in the immediate pipeline? I can think of just four, all females, and some of them aren’t even in the team in the comics.

To me, the most likely scenario is that she starts to get that closure on Vision, to make this more of a character arc for her, but decides she still needs the kids, only to have them taken away from her at the end, which drives her antagonist turn for Dr. Strange 2. At the end of that movie, they'll be back and maybe with America Chavez.

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

She’s either the villain or the MacGuffin in Doctor Strange 2, so the tower you are building here seems a bit quizzical at best.

I don’t think she’s going to be either of those things, and it would kinda suck if she was.  I think it speaks to the sexism inherent in our pop culture, in general, and how deeply ingrained the “Women can’t handle power” trope is in genre stories, to be specific, that this is the conclusion that people jump to.  She can’t just be an equal partner in the adventuring!  No, she’s got be another hysterical woman to be defeated or saved from herself*. 

*Granted, WANDAVISION is already playing with this particular bit of fire, but its her story, so it has the benefit of Wanda (probably/likely/hopefully) getting be her own hero in the end.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don’t think she’s going to be either of those things, and it would kinda suck if she was.  I think it speaks to the sexism inherent in our pop culture, in general, and how deeply ingrained the “Women can’t handle power” trope is in genre stories, to be specific, that this is the conclusion that people jump to.  She can’t just be an equal partner in the adventuring!  No, she’s got be another hysterical woman to be defeated or saved from herself*. 

*Granted, WANDAVISION is already playing with this particular bit of fire, but its her story, so it has the benefit of Wanda (probably/likely/hopefully) getting be her own hero in the end.

I appreciate your bold strictly textual approach to all of this in 2021, but it does make conversing a little tricky.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The rumors on the internet are that Episode 9 is 50 minutes in length

I might be getting up early on Friday (before work) to watch it just to avoid having anything spoiled. 

• Like 1

We have the same constraints we always have. With the kids, there's really no way to watch before 9 PM EST. I'll be a little more careful to avoid cbr and social media, and will put the board on compressed again. I should be ok.

Unfortunately the hardest place is Youtube as usually within 6 hours of the episode dropping places like IGN and Nerdist already have their EASTER EGG~! videos up and depending on what they put for the screen cap... grr...

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Everyone just needs to get overnight jobs, so you're up when it debuts. Or be in Europe, where it starts at 0800/0900. 

A few times during the early episodes I watched it around 2:15am since that's when I take my lunch at work. But ever since it's gotten more MCU plot heavy instead of just sitcom satire, I've switched to just watching it at 6am when I get home and I'm eating breakfast.

And yes, @RIPPAis right about the episode length. It's (more likely than not) an hour with credits, according to some leakers on Reddit.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I wish I had the energy of the people upset that Wanda's apartment wasn't exactly the same as in Civil War

If being an admin here has taught me anything, is never underestimate the power of pedantry. ?

Oh, before I forget, this is just a one-off limited series right?  There's no Season 2 coming?  

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If being an admin here has taught me anything, is never underestimate the power of pedantry. ?

Oh, before I forget, this is just a one-off limited series right?  There's no Season 2 coming?  

Feige seemed to indicate that some of the Disney+ shows could have second seasons, but that WandaVision was really meant to lead into Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3. He didn't say it was completely off the table given its success though.