DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

I’m probably wrong, but I’m still not all in on Heyward being a big bad. He seems more like an asshole who thinks he’s doing the right thing and going about it horribly. West Coast Vision probably goes evil robot ala Ultron, leading to Wanda having to kill Vision yet again.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m probably wrong, but I’m still not all in on Heyward being a big bad. He seems more like an asshole who thinks he’s doing the right thing and going about it horribly. West Coast Vision probably goes evil robot ala Ultron, leading to Wanda having to kill Vision yet again.

Vision's the new Kenny.

You killed Vision! You bastard!

• Haha 3

BTW- Wanda's driving establishment shots are at least 4 years old, and make no logistic sense (as Westview is supposed to be in Northern NJ and SWORD's HQ is way south (given the delta looks of the surrounding shots), unless Wanda was avoiding Tolls...

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This was awesome. Feels like we're getting the culmination of an origin story for Wanda that started with AoU.

Thinking about it like that makes this journey really fucking cool. 

I really like that way of thinking about it! 

Yeah, dug the pace of this and tying it in to sitcom tropes to set the table for the finale. 

Liked the switcheroo at the start where it originally felt like Agnes was facing a witch trial, well done. 

"what is grief but perseverance of love" was a really beautiful piece of writing! 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, JonnyLaw said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think the “show” is supposed to be funny, I think it’s supposed to be comforting and familiar, as a way for Wanda to escape. There’s a meta-ness to it, as the sitcom homage is something we’re watching at the same time SWORD is watching, but that homage is happening in-universe.  If it’s a construct of Wanda’s powers, it wouldn’t necessarily be “funny,” as she’s not a comedian.

That’s why my lingering question is about why Wanda is seeming retreating to a sitcom homage that rapidly progresses through the decades.  Presumably there’s an in-universe explanation for that.  I have a hunch, but it seems a little cliche and unsatisfying: 

Hide contents

Hydra taught Wanda and Pietro English via old tv shows, so that’s a happy memory of spending time with her brother that she’s trying to recreate.

Called it pretty close, but what we got with the family was much better than what I feared. Having it be her last memory of her parents and also likely her first use of powers (I’ve been skeptical that she would revealed to be a mutant, but her powers activating in a moment of stress fits here) was a nice touch.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:16 AM, Casey said:

I don't think I'd like it if the episodes were actually funny. To me, they actually feel like the sitcoms they're spoofing, because I never found those funny anyway. I can't say I ever laughed watching Bewitched or anything when I was a kid.

C'mon, Paul Lynde prancing around as "Uncle Arthur" was hysterical.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

So... if Vision can't exist outside of the Hex, does that give off the horrible vibes that the kids won't be able to as well?

That's assuming Agatha doesn't off the kids herself.

We don’t know, I guess. If Wanda is the Scarlet Witch and has the power of spontaneous creation, there’s nothing to say what would happen if/when the Hex ends. I could also see a comic booky explanation that since Westview Vision was created at basically the same time as the Hex, his fate is tied to the Hex (until he merges with Heyward’s Vision of course), but since the twins were created independently of the Hex, they can survive outside of it.

Also interesting they Fietro wasn’t created by Agatha but was mind-controlled by her once he arrived.  We’ve said this every week, but next week’s episode has got to be longer as we’ve got to resolve Heyward’s Vision coming to wreck shit, Monica and Fietro snooping’, Westview Vision and Darcy arriving, and Wanda vs Agatha, plus however this thing ends to lead into Dr. Strange 2.

Edited by JonnyLaw

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

So... if Vision can't exist outside of the Hex, does that give off the horrible vibes that the kids won't be able to as well?

That's assuming Agatha doesn't off the kids herself.

What if the hex expanded across the entire world?

The MCU Willy Lumpkin? 

Maybe some sort of positive spirit? I don’t know.

I also don't think this means she's a mutant. It's magic. Magic is established as something else in the MCU and she could have been born magic sensitive. Agatha didn't seem surprised at the thought of it. Agatha was probably born magic sensitive.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

My original guess was Dick Van Dyke, but yeah, I'm now thinking both Teyana and Paul were being cheeky when they said the things they did about the show (engineer and the actor Paul admired). Because of course we, as MCU fans, are going to overanalyze everything.

It'd be extremely out of place for Dick Van Dyke to show up during the season/series finale, where everything is set-up for at least two big battles. The current rumor is that the last episode is an hour (with credits), so I mean, I guess there's time for it, but I'm going to assume that isn't happening and it's just going to be pay off after pay off of a lot of things that's happened over the course of the last eight episodes, instead of shoehorning in a cameo from an old dude who would have been better suited for one of the earlier episodes.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

My original guess was Dick Van Dyke, but yeah, I'm now thinking both Teyana and Paul were being cheeky when they said the things they did about the show (engineer and the actor Paul admired). Because of course we, as MCU fans, are going to overanalyze everything.

It'd be extremely out of place for Dick Van Dyke to show up during the season/series finale, where everything is set-up for at least two big battles. The current rumor is that the last episode is an hour (with credits), so I mean, I guess there's time for it, but I'm going to assume that isn't happening and it's just going to be pay off after pay off of a lot of things that's happened over the course of the last eight episodes, instead of shoehorning in a cameo from an old dude who would have been better suited for one of the earlier episodes.

Debra Jo Rupp cameoed in three episodes at least.