DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

WandaVision and Elizabeth Olsen love in:

Spoiler

Etc0yVWXYAIA7fq?format=jpg&name=medium

So well done. I popped when Wanda Maximoff broke the Westview barrier to threaten them. This show has really gotten over how powerful she is as did Avengers: Endgame when she held her own against Thanos:

Elizabeth Olsen nailed the delivery. Watching this back...Man, Chadwick Boseman is missed.

Edited by The Natural

Speaking of which, how they hell do Woo, Darcy, and Monica know who did what at the battle against Thanos? They referenced things WE saw, but I'm assuming they don't live in a world where there's a version of Endgame - or do they?! It'd be kinda fun to see a peak into Earth 616's fictional portrayals of their own living heroes. Shit, OUR world is already working on a movie about fucking GAMESTOP STOCK TRADING, let alone tragedies like 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombing... so I'd imagine some movie studio in THEIR world would wanna make dramatizations of Avengers adventures. Let's get a little meta, Feige!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Speaking of which, how they hell do Woo, Darcy, and Monica know who did what at the battle against Thanos? They referenced things WE saw, but I'm assuming they don't live in a world where there's a version of Endgame - or do they?! It'd be kinda fun to see a peak into Earth 616's fictional portrayals of their own living heroes. Shit, OUR world is already working on a movie about fucking GAMESTOP STOCK TRADING, let alone tragedies like 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombing... so I'd imagine some movie studio in THEIR world would wanna make dramatizations of Avengers adventures. Let's get a little meta, Feige!

Vanguard+1.png

;).

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, they all did debriefs about what happened. And all the armored folks probably have cameras built into their armor to record what's going on. 

This makes sense and all but it's not fun enough, damnit. I saw somebody else mulling about it and a person suggested Scott Lang told Luis and now all I want is Luis explaining the whole battle to people. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Okay - now

Really enjoyed the episode and my wife is now watching since they have... seemingly... permanently switched the formatting

However I am a little disappointed that is seems that more than one character has just vanished but that is probably the price to pay with more balls up in the air and the episodes not reaching a hour yet

Agree with those saying this is the best episode yet.

Spoiler

Using the Very Special Episode trope and incorporating the loss of the dog as a parallel with Wanda's struggle dealing with the loss of Vision and her brother is was a great way to structure an episode. It's about as on point thematically as anyone could expect for an episode of this show with this format. While more exciting MCU stuff is still to come, this might end up being the high-water mark for the sitcom stuff.

Wanda storming out of the Hex and the footage of her stealing Vision’s body were great choices. We’re at about the halfway mark, and they needed to start pulling back the curtain. Evil Wanda looks like she can be pretty menacing.

The exposition about Wanda's history was some strained hand-holding. I get why things like that happen in a series featuring a second-or-third-tier character from a film series with 20+ entries, but that was some really sweaty stuff. 

I know the humour in the show is pretty (intentionally?) unfunny. But the letter opener bit was such a groaner that it came all the way back around and got a pretty big laugh out of me. Gold star to whoever contributed something that foolish. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
No reason, it was a perfect post
  • Like 3

I kinda have mixed feelings about the Big Thing That Happened.

Spoiler

On one hand, it’s neat, Peters’ Quicksilver was a highlight of late-period Fox X-Men, and I am intrigued.

On the other hand, man, I’m dreading the thing everybody seems excited about.  I hope they’re just pulling over Peters and no one else from that universe*.  I’m ready for a new cast to get a shot at the X-Men.  The OG cast got absolutely perfect send-offs in DOFP and LOGAN.  Let Hugh Jackman enjoy his 50’s!  And the major players in the new cast, despite promising beginnings, clearly did not give a fuck by the end, and I don’t need to see anything else from them.  Fassbender, in particular, was just sleepwalking through those last couple of movies.

*The exception being Deadpool.  Of course, he’s such a meta character, you don’t even have to have an in-universe explanation for him suddenly being in the MCU.  They could do a gag about the Fox deal and Disney owning his ass now, and that would be enough.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

So I went and re-watch Age of Ultron to remind myself of the Wanda/Pietro/Vision background 

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that Wanda and Vision had their love built offscreen and I would slightly and mildly disagree that it starts in Civil War just going by the intuition and seeing AoU again before starting the series 

Wanda mentioned that she'd read Visions mind, the impression it leaves her with after, she's slowly getting cozy with him imo in the very brief scenes they have together but once he's activated you see her have a sort of connection or bond with him from having "read" his mind. 

not a whole lot to go on tbh but it does set the stage some because at the end of AoU cap and widow are getting ready to train the new recruits which had both Wanda and Vision show up for training. So it's not a big stretch that we see some seeds planted and set the stage for more in Civil War, but i will agree the heavy duty of their relationship is offscreen 

at the same time we're supposed to believe thor is moping around about Jane when he doesn't exactly know her for very long in the first flick(although I got shit memories here since I haven't seen the early thor movies for YEARS). 

Spoiler

Hot damn! The other Pietro pops up and I was completely let down he didn't use MCU Pietros trademark line "You didn't see that coming!" as Wanda greeted him. But still marked tfo to have him pop up anyway. 

Also loved how it took her a second to recognize him, when Vision hears the doorbell and Wanda says she's not behind it and Vision said he didn't trust or didn't believe it, her face kinda was ? like "New phone. Who Dis?" when she sees (x)Pietro 

Having just seen AoU i feel bummed about Quicksilver, he goes from cocky heel to supporting team player in a more believable arc than Gamora in the 1st GotG and then he's gone so fast too (yup that was punintentional). Realizing that Ultron wants to kill humanity and then deciding to help the Avengers save all those civilians was a real great face turn, then Shield shows up to offload the Sokovians and he's got this fanboy appreciation like "I really did pick the side of good" and he's proud of joining the Avengers seeing how fast shield shows up for the civilian population. Like his animosity is all gone and you get a genuine reaction from him in the redemption arc. 

• Like 3

I felt like the nerdiest motherfucker in America trying to explain to my wife Disney vs Fox and two different Pietros and mutants vs enhanced humans and how this character is from a different "universe," etc.  ? 

Can I be the first to claim that maybe Rambeau blames her mother's cancer on proximity to Captain Marvel like this is some Dr. Manhattan shit?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 3

Yeah - that is reaching a little to far

I mean this is the first week that even a dummy like me understood the reference in the commercial

Spoiler

Since Lagos - the name of the paper towel brand - was were Wanda had her incident at the beginning of Civil War. And the red was clearly symbolizing the spilled blood

I agree it's a reach I just thought it was an interesting take

Spoiler

I think it's more likely that the commercials are all signposts of traumatic events in her life: her family getting blown up by a Stark missile, getting indoctrinated by Hydra, getting experimented on by Strucker, and the explosion in Lagos.  I bet we get one referencing either Scotland or Wakanda in a future episode.

It does seem like there's something going on with the stones or their power since she's demonstrated the ability to manipulate minds, reality, time, space, and (arguably) souls and they mentioned this week about all of the power she must be using.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Hide contents

I think it's more likely that the commercials are all signposts of traumatic events in her life: her family getting blown up by a Stark missile, getting indoctrinated by Hydra, getting experimented on by Strucker, and the explosion in Lagos.  I bet we get one referencing either Scotland or Wakanda in a future episode.

It does seem like there's something going on with the stones or their power since she's demonstrated the ability to manipulate minds, reality, time, space, and (arguably) souls and they mentioned this week about all of the power she must be using.

Spoiler

Her powers come from the Mind stone. It's just her and Captain Marvel that get their abilities from the Infinity Stones in the MCU at this point, since our version of Quicksilver is dead, and so is Vision. I think you're trying too hard to connect all of the stones to stuff she's doing. She's basically a walking Infinity Stone, that's it.

Also next week's commercial is fuckin' dope.

I already figured I would be, but yeah, I'm all in on The Falcon & Winter Soldier.

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Hide contents

I don't think its a big reach at all.

Spoiler

There is clearly something up with her powers with them even acknowledging in the show she is showing more power than ever before. There is no way what you posted about the commercials is an accident. Even if it turns out to be a red herring it was clearly done on purpose to make people think of the stones.

Episode 5 was much better..  we got back into the sitcoms this time the 80s!  and Elizabeth Olsen continues to act her ass off every week.  Some intense scenes and then obviously the reveal at the end..   

Spoiler

Hey, I'm in the camp that says FOX had a pretty good track record. I know some out there don't want to hear that but there were at least 4-5 great movies and some well developed characters. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Episode 5 was much better..  we got back into the sitcoms this time the 80s!  and Elizabeth Olsen continues to act her ass off every week.  Some intense scenes and then obviously the reveal at the end..   

Hide contents

Hey, I'm in the camp that says FOX had a pretty good track record. I know some out there don't want to hear that but there were at least 4-5 great movies and some well developed characters. 

Spoiler

Fox X-Men track record was very hit and miss. I'd say the following were great:

1. X2 (2003). One of the best comic book movies ever made.

2. Deadpool (2016).

3. Logan (2017).

4. X-Men: First Class (2011).

5. X-Men (2000).

6. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014). Had some issues with it. Very good level more than great.I

The misses:

9. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

10. Dark Phoenix (2019)

11. X-Men: Apocalypse (2016).

12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009).

Haven't seen New Mutants (2020). I was let down by Deadpool 2 (2018). That won't be a popular take here.

Edited by The Natural

On 2/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, RIPPA said:

Okay - now

Really enjoyed the episode and my wife is now watching since they have... seemingly... permanently switched the formatting

Interestingly enough, I didn't notice on first viewing on the PC, but when my wife watched it on the TV, they're still fiddling with the formatting.  The "TV Show" seems to be in 16:9, but the "real world" is actually in 2.35:1.  It's just a little switch, but noticible that the TV show uses the TV format while the "real world" uses the Cinematic format.

WandaVision Ep6 spoilers.

Spoiler

EuA3MWxUcAEoMAB?format=jpg&name=small

EuA35FXVkAATUtC?format=jpg&name=medium

I thought this was a slight step down from the previous couple. Cool seeing Scarlet Witch, Vision in comic accurate costumes. We knew that was happening so you figured Quicksilver would join them and he does. Creepy portion of Westview citizens doing the same action over and over unlike the rest of the town who are actively living. Three big developments:

• Vision waking Agnes up and thinks she's dead as Vision is.
  • Vision is dying as he tried to break the Westview barrier telling SWORD the people there need help.
  • Another big display of Wanda's power levels as she extends the barrier perimeter saving Vision, causing sections of SWORD to be sucked in and turn amnesiac characters in Wanda's Westview including Darcy. Only Woo, Monica and Hayward escape. Quite the cliffhanger to end on.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

"kick ass??" got a big laugh from me. 

Seems to be suggesting it's not X universe Pietro since Wanda saw him with the bullet holes from AOU. 

Interesting to see the kids discover their powers. 

Wonder who Rambeau's friend with a way in is? 

Episode 6 discussion within 

Edited by Fighting a man with a perm
Added context to spoiler box
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:
  Hide contents

"kick ass??" got a big laugh from me. 

Seems to be suggesting it's not X universe Pietro since Wanda saw him with the bullet holes from AOU. 

Interesting to see the kids discover their powers. 

Wonder who Rambeau's friend with a way in is? 

Episode 6 discussion within 

Spoiler

Can you imagine if it's someone like Reed Richards? Magneto? Professor Xavier? Riri Williams? The first three names will bring the biggest holy shit.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1