DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

Kids don’t even know a/out Nick at Nite these days. ?

it’s amazing how it is already so tempting to try and fantasy book the show, given all the Easter eggs already. 

master pandemonium? Bova? Wonder Man? 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I liked Wandavision. It's good it's moving brisky because there are a lot of tricks they can only get away with once. Casey undersells the weirdness in the first episode.

All I can add is that there's such a feeling of dread underpinning all of this. When the bottom drops out, it's going to drop hard.

That last bit does a better job explaining why I loved the first two episodes then I could have on my own.  So far, the show is an homage to these old shows rather than a spoof or parody of them, but that sense of dread that is just below the surface makes me wish they had released all the episodes at once.  During the show I kept thinking, “This is like a sitcom version of Lost.” It also feels spiritually like House of M, with Wanda seemingly being in control while (presumably) being manipulated.

• Like 2

I'm cool with the throwback style of the episodes while accepting there's an upper-limit to people's tolerance for this style of storytelling.

It was clear from the trailer and remains clear now that this show is centered around Wanda processing or not processing her trauma from the end of Infinity War. And eventually we'll pivot to whatever the real MCU stakes of that are and they'll make clear what she's doing herself or what an outside entity is taking advantage of. But for now, it's interesting to watch trauma and loss processed (or not; especially not when the beekeeper pops up and Wanda wants fuck all to do with him) through the comfort of old television. Which makes for an interesting point for Marvel to be pivoting to their Disney+ TV era.

I don't know shit about House of M or SWORD, but I'm super into people processing trauma through the filter of old TV. I can personally say it's easy to find comfort in old TV favourites than confront some hard truths. And I hope this series gets to dig deeper into that before it has to make its eventual turn back to standard Marvel stuff. 

Also, even as a casual I know there's a long history of our heroes getting trapped in the type of fantasy For The Man Who Has Everything. If this plays out even half as well as that, I'd consider this a moderate success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If nothing else, the show is a showcase for how fantastic an actor Paul Bettany is. Not to diminish Elisabeth O, who’s also great, but man... seeing the MCU really give Paul B great material to work with is awesome. Dude is killing it. 

• Like 6

Dug the first two episodes of Wandavision. The parody/tributes of old tv were neat along with the hints of something darker clearly at work. Will be interesting to see if what is happening is something Wanda did to herself or someone's work. It is good seeing both Bettany & Olsen get a lot more to do on screen. 

• Like 2

I grew up watching all kinds of Nick at Nite, The Munsters, Addams Family, Bewitched, Leave It to Beaver, Batman, Brady Bunch, etc., so I loved the crap out of the first two episodes. 

It especially helps that you can tell Bettany and Olson are having an absolute blast. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Not enough can be made of how hard those two are slaying in this format. I almost dread the inevitable kick back to Marvel proper. 

I highly suspect this is going to radically alter the MCU, so there’ll be some surprising revelations in there.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:24 PM, odessasteps said:

Kids don’t even know a/out Nick at Nite these days. ?

it’s amazing how it is already so tempting to try and fantasy book the show, given all the Easter eggs already. 

master pandemonium? Bova? Wonder Man? 

Lots of “devil” references by Agness. 

Spoiler

Mephisto?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

Will be interesting to see if what is happening is something Wanda did to herself or someone's work. It is good seeing both Bettany & Olsen get a lot more to do on screen. 

I'm speculating Wanda's behind it.  The producers said at some point that the show would explain how Wanda's powers work.  And Wanda using her powers to try to give her and Vision some sort of perfect life would riff off a couple stories from the comics, at least thematically.  

Spoiler

I'm thinking of House of M (where Wanda suffered a mental breakdown and used her powers to alter reality) and Tom King's Vision series, which didn't involve Wanda but revolved around Vision building an android wife and kids and moving to the suburbs to live a normal life.  The stress of trying to hold that together drove his android wife more than a bit crazy.

Really liked the first two eps, though I'm more looking forward to the show doing longer eps and getting away from straight parodies.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The influences are pretty obvious. I just have trouble seeing them have it as a breakdown Wanda came to on her own.

True, that might be more of a downer than they want to go for.

I pointed out the influences more for people who don't read comics.  I imagine a lot of people are watching the show without having read much Marvel.  Actually, I tend to dive in and out of Marvel and DC rather than being a regular at a LCS, so there are plenty of well-known stories and events I'm not familiar with.  I have a decent idea of what happened in House of M, but have never read it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eoae said:

True, that might be more of a downer than they want to go for.

I pointed out the influences more for people who don't read comics.  I imagine a lot of people are watching the show without having read much Marvel.  Actually, I tend to dive in and out of Marvel and DC rather than being a regular at a LCS, so there are plenty of well-known stories and events I'm not familiar with.  I have a decent idea of what happened in House of M, but have never read it.

I've only been reading the last 10 years or so I missed House of M and never bothered to check it out aside from reading up on what happened. Did read Vision. Don't have the same love for it others do, but it was a good choice to pull from. It and House of M were smart choices to pull from for the Wandavision. They work well together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I’m leaning more towards Nightmare than Mephisto at this point but who knows. 

FWIW, Nightmare is supposedly the villain of Multiverse of Madness, so.... You might be onto something.

There was an easter egg for Grim Reaper in the second episode, too.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

FWIW, Nightmare is supposedly the villain of Multiverse of Madness, so.... You might be onto something.

There was an easter egg for Grim Reaper in the second episode, too.

Spoiler

WandaVision-Grim-Reaper-Helmet.jpg?q=50&

Am I misremembering, or didn’t they cast someone as Grim Reaper for this?  I tried to find it, but mostly found clickbaity articles like “WandaVision teases Grim Reaper and Swarm!!!!”

• Like 2

Watched the second episode with my daughter and wife. My wife immediately thought it was something Hydra was doing because of the Strucker watch commercial with the Hydra logo on the watch. I said I doubt it and it's probably more to do with SWORD, which she knows nothing about.

I did like the second episode more because it just had some more weird and creepy vibes. And while you guys are rightly praising Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn has been downright killing it, but she's also amazing in just about everything.

I say cast Kathryn Hahn in everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Watched the second episode with my daughter and wife. My wife immediately thought it was something Hydra was doing because of the Strucker watch commercial with the Hydra logo on the watch. I said I doubt it and it's probably more to do with SWORD, which she knows nothing about.

I did like the second episode more because it just had some more weird and creepy vibes. And while you guys are rightly praising Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn has been downright killing it, but she's also amazing in just about everything.

I say cast Kathryn Hahn in everything.

Hahn’s delivery is impeccable, Agnes constantly trolling Wanda by all but saying she knows what’s going on then undercutting it by joking about how much she hates her husband yet at the same referring a key data from the Salem Witch trials is some good shit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

That's been my concern with this and the Loki series having the Time something cops involved. These need to be introduced well, because unless you've been reading comics for many years, you have no idea about any of those groups.

• Like 1