DVDVR Message Board

WANDAVISION (Massive Spoiler Thread)

JonnyLaw

Yeah. Next week is a two episode premiere, though. 30 minutes each. Some reviewers have hinted that as we get deeper into the season, the episodes get longer (transitioning from sitcom like episodes in the first six then into the MCU fare we're used to in the back half).

• Like 1

At least based on the EW feature article on it a month ago - the first two episodes are 30 minutes and the rest are 60 minutes

This is based on the article referring to it as a 7 episode, six hour series so it seems like they just split one episode into two for... reasons

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

I read a WandaVision preview in a film magazine I get and...

Reveal hidden contents

Wanda Maximoff will be called the Scarlet Witch for the first time.

I wonder, with the Strange multiverse movie coming out if they're leading up to

Spoiler

a cameo by either McKellen or Faddbender as Magneto to the version of herself that is his daugher.

I would mark the fuck out for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JLSigman said:

I wonder, with the Strange multiverse movie coming out if they're leading up to

Reveal hidden contents

a cameo by either McKellen or Faddbender as Magneto to the version of herself that is his daugher.

I would mark the fuck out for that.

Spoiler

That's a great fucking shout. Nice one, @JLSigman xxx.

• Like 1

I think WandaVision is going to be 30 minutes or less (starting out, I still think the back half will be longer) because they're spoofing sitcoms like the Brady Bunch or Office or Rosanne. FWIW, he said Moon Knight is 6 episodes long and going to be 40-50 minutes like Falcon & Winter Solider and Loki.

On 1/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, Casey said:

I think WandaVision is going to be 30 minutes or less (starting out, I still think the back half will be longer) because they're spoofing sitcoms like the Brady Bunch or Office or Rosanne.

I heard similar speculation.

S1E1/S1E2 of WandaVision thoughts and spoilers. I think my only complaint is that the ending credits are the same length as you'd have in the movies (around 7-8 minutes). They're highly stylized, but whatever.

• Spoiler

• The first episode is just straight up a 22 minute black & white sitcom. It's weird how note perfect that was as spoof of something like I Love Lucy.
    • The commercial in this episode is a Stark Industries... toaster? Something like that. The sound it makes is the same sound that Iron Man's repulsors make.
    • Not really much else to talk about, besides the ending sequence. Somehow a SWORD (!) agent is able to watch all of this on a television, with credits and everything.
    • And before anyone comes in here asking why SWORD would be monitoring stuff on Earth... In the MCU, it stands for Sentient Weapon Observation Response Division.

• Second episode is Bewitched style, complete with opening credits.
    • Already getting meta, when Vision says "Wanda, are you not worried that the audience might see through this little charade?" while talking about a magic trick they're practicing for a talent show.
    • Another SWORD reference, with a toy helicopter that's in color (and they appear to be Iron Man colors?).
    • "The Devil is in the details, and that's not the only place he is". HMMMM.
    • Strucker Swiss made watch with the Hydra logo as the commercial this time. Same two actors as the previous episode's commercial, too. Revisiting the trauma that shaped Wanda? First one could be seen as symbolizing the bombs in Sokovia when she was a child.
    • Second time "For The Children" has been mentioned, third if you count that it's the name of the talent show.
    • And now she's pregnant. It's happening.
    • That sounds like Agent Jimmy Woo saying "Wanda? Who is doing this to you?", it's clear as day at the end of the episode.
    • Who is the SWORD Beekeeper? Is it Woo?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what they're planning on doing. Which is going to be real tough to handle when you consider the fact that, so far, these episodes are only hitting a max of 25 minutes (after taking out the end credits, and presumably from now on a recap of the previous episode).

I still think they'll get longer, though. Because...

Spoiler

We've already blasted through two decades (50s and 60s), that leaves four (maybe five) left (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s). Presumably the last two of the season will be non-sitcom spoofs, unless they mash-up some of those decades into a single episode.

• Thanks 1

I liked Wandavision. It's good it's moving brisky because there are a lot of tricks they can only get away with once. Casey undersells the weirdness in the first episode.

All I can add is that there's such a feeling of dread underpinning all of this. When the bottom drops out, it's going to drop hard.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Curious how kids who’ve never heard of Dick Van Dyke or Bewitched respond to this first batch of episodes. 

Like the new Marvel fanfare featuring plenty of Endgame. 

My daughter had no idea what was happening. I kept telling her this is what old tv shows were like and she was just utterly confused and said, "it feels really old and cheap."

I'm not going to lie, I'm not feeling the throwbacky-ness.

It's not my favorite thing ever, the retro style episodes, but again, I'm willing to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt because they've earned it.

I don't think I undersold the weirdness of the first episode, because there wasn't really much underlying dread except for... maybe two or three spots that felt really uncomfortable. Unless the weirdness mentioned is the fact that Wanda & Vision are "living" in the 1950s, which, I mean, yeah, that explains itself though.