DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 2/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Johnny/Lumis went a bit long, but was decent. Dug the the backstage segment later on. Candice's reaction to Indi thinking Lumis was hot was perfect.

Io/Stark was decent enough, but you could tell this was the first time the two ever really worked together with how off they were in the beginning. Nice to see them finally set a date for Io/Toni.

Xia/Kacy was fun for Xia trying to cripple Kacy. Hopefully she does the same to Kayden

GYV vs. Drake/Dain was good stuff. Kind of surprised they are already doing an injury angle with MSK. Hopefully they win the belts and we get a big rematch between them and GYV for the belts and the attack they did tonight. Wolfe looking down on Dain for teaming with Maverick was interesting. Feels liek a tease for Dain joining Imperium.

Escobar/Kross was about what I expected. I enjoyed the beatdown on Kross, but couldn't be bothered to give a damn about his winning outside of being annoyed. Kross doesn't need it and Escobar as more a upside in general.

The ending segment was too long considering where it was going. It was pretty much wat I expected with McAffee was once again being proven right about scumbag Adam Cole.

Roderick Strong: the last good guy in pro wrestling. Probably the longest B plot/background storytelling in NXT to date.

Stark didn't look like anything special in her previous pre-debut jobber matches, pleasant surprise to see just how good she in the recent matches.

15 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Cameron Grimes' hillbilly knock off of Ted Dibiase's shtick is amazing. Major improvement and my favorite part of NXT right now.

I would love for him to form a stable around this, like a bizarro version of The Million Dollar Corporation.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:28 AM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Cameron Grimes' hillbilly knock off of Ted Dibiase's shtick is amazing. Major improvement and my favorite part of NXT right now.

NXT midcard division has some good acts (Los Garganos have been my favorite thing in NXT since the heel turn, though Grimes may replace them), but I'm not at all into the main event scene,  I don't even dislike Cole or UE as much as most, but they don't interest me either,  I like Balor but not enough to want to watch programs with the Pat Pack, UE, Cole, Kross, Ciampa, etc.  Don't really think Thatcher or Grizzled Young Veterans of Thatcher have enough charisma to make it on the main roster either.

Women's division has been carrying the brand for me but it seems a bit aimless lately.  Toni Storm hasn't been doing much for me as the new top heel.  Io seems to have lost some momentum.

I'm hoping Grimes manages not to lose his all his money too soon.  The gimmick is money (I didn't realize that was a pun until after i typed it, so I'm leaving that as is) and Grimes makes a good dimwitted heel.

Am I the only person turned off by Lumis as a babyface?  I didn't care much for him as a heel.  As a babyface, he's giving the Fiend a run for the title of fastest channel changer.

Xia Li's new act is so awesome, very Lucha Underground like. She didn't interest me at all as a blue-chipper babyface, but she's got some fire as a super-powered heel. I hope there's more for the Kacy/Kayden team after Xia kills them, though. Maybe it's just the lime green attire, but they really remind me of a women's version of MSK.

Feel like Escobar/Kross match went too long. Full on babyface Kross doesn't work, but this match does bode well for Escobar's prospects beyond CW champ. He didn't look out of place hanging with Kross, even with all the interference.

I am disappointed with the direction they're going with the title picture. Looks like they're setting up a fatal 4-way, which usually aren't good to begin with, and the whole UE imploding angle is falling so flat. Like you can't do a super-emotional brotherhood break-up with a heel group. These guys have spent the last 3 years using every underhanded trick to get ahead and screw everyone else over. I mean Roddy himself is only in the group because he stabbed Pete Dunne in the back, so him crying about brotherhood seemed especially hollow. Bobby Fish, the guy with most emotional connection to KoR, is nowhere to be found. If these guys all turned on each other because they were all jealous and insecure like Cole, they might have something. As is, it's not working, then they're wasting the champ who's been on a mega-roll lately by just throwing him in the middle of it for no reason on top of it.