DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Re: the 6th guy in the ladder match:

Its probably worth noting that Ethan Page wasn’t announced as part of the new NXT class.  We haven’t really heard a peep about him signing anywhere since he parted ways with Impact, but you’d have to consider him a possibility in that spot.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, EVA said:

Its probably worth noting that Ethan Page wasn’t announced as part of the new NXT class.  We haven’t really heard a peep about him signing anywhere since he parted ways with Impact, but you’d have to consider him a possibility in that spot.

Well I guess I'll be the first to say it:

KARATE MAN TO AEW CONFIRMED!!!!!!

Sorry to those confused by this if you haven't seen what he's been doing recently.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Super fun Dynamite!  

Ryan Nemeth is really finding his place as a good low card heel.  Nice effort by Mox in this opener.  And excellent promo.  Amongst his best.  The Omega-Mox history video package was also very good. 

Really dug the Team Taz-Blondes tag.  Both Garrison and Pillman look to be steadily improving week in and week out.  Starks is great.  Sloppy powerbomb by Cage on Pillman and he knew it.  I hope Junior's hip isn't too fucked up.  Also, kinda camera-sloppy of Cage to dip his head obviously talking to Pillman following the pin.  Just wait till you get to the back.  The post match was by far the best part of this Team Taz-Sting/Darby build.  Darby video tho a bit shoddy had some nice Twin Peaks vibes.  Hook, the body bag, Skee-vone's call, Stinger, the zip line, all made for a fun segment.

Kip-Penny-Miro shit is dying multiple deaths.  

Cutler-Hager really didn't have any reason to be on Dynamite, but it was an enjoyable squash.  'Cutty' is a very good job guy and Hager benefitted nicely here.

Stoked for the return of the great Tully Blanchard!  

Hangman, not unlike the Bucks, has been on a lengthy run of excellent matches and Kassidy was more than game here.  The PPs continue to prove themselves as better singles than as a team.  Tho, everybody is looking great in there with Page.

Baker-Nyla was very good.  Baker continues to impress.  I see some complaints on Nyla, but she looked pretty good to me.  I have no problem with Nyla going over Britt.  It just would have made more sense if Nyla had been seen or mentioned on Dynamite in the last, oh, however long.  I can't remember the last time she was of note?  Tho, I will admit to ffwding a lot of the Women's division segments.  

Archer-Fenix was fantastic.  Didn't need the piped in post production Tony shill 'this is a match of the year' nonsense.  Were the Tony post production bits not obvious?  I haven't read any mentions.  His Paul Wight comment seemed to be added after the fact too - no replies from either JR or Exclobberer.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten a chance to catch up on the show yet but the Riho thing is driving me up a wall.

Granted they could swerve me and not put her through to Shida so I may sound really dumb but I have a reasonable amount of certainty that the following is going to happen.

If Riho goes over Thunder Rosa, they would have put her over both of the best talent additions to the women's roster since Riho went away. This seems likely because (as people mentioned) why wouldn't you book Baker v Rosa in the semis if you going in that direction. Instead you've set up Riho vs. Rose III so presumably Riho can get her win back from losing the title. Because why else would you have Rose go that deep since they've put nothing behind her since she lost the strap to Shida. Also Britt actually got herself over the last few months and you shut that down for a monster heel act that hasn't been protected for ages. Then you have Riho versus the winner of the Japan bracket who will have zero television exposure other than quick recaps and if you've already put Riho over your whole television roster, why would you job her out to someone no one knows? Then you get Riho-Shida for the strap and that's at least even money to put the belt back on Riho and completely wipe away the last 8 months in a few weeks.

Also I thought Hulk Rihogan was pretty funny and I'm going to run with it.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It just comes off to me as super lame. They probably have the opinion that it's one of those old carny things that needs to go away. Either that or that it's not necessary for their style, which I would agree with, but still. 

And anyway I'm the guy who suggested we start up the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS thread so what did you expect? ?

To be fair, in this climate, getting color probably should reserved for certain important angles or matches. I like that better than the ECW way (especially the latter years) where everyone is out getting juice in every other match. It got to a point where you have guys (like a Steve Corino or a Justin Credible) out there bleeding like a stuck pig in the middle of the card, then three to five guys bleed when New Jack does his signature run-in, and absolutely no one gives a damn when the main event happens and someone does it.

If a team like the Bucks do it and it's just this random nothing thing, then it comes out as amateur hour. If they decide to do it when absolutely NO ONE expects them to in something that could really get heat, then it absolutely means something as opposed to a Moxley or Dustin Rhodes or Cody cause we know that's their thing.

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting anything like blood all over the card, jeez. It's just silly that they refuse to bleed at all. They're pro wrestlers, FFS. 

EDIT: What would be funny is this ending up being an actual blood feud with them and MJeriFcho (that's so stupid I have to coin it). Jericho and MJF actually bleed and the Bucks use the Smuckers (TM @EricR). 

Edited by Curt McGirt

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm not suggesting anything like blood all over the card, jeez.

Oh, I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that you should have wrestlers that aren't known to be out there getting juice because I think people come to expect that. Therefore, on the occasions someone who rarely does it decides to do it, it's extremely meaningful.

They're pro wrestlers, FFS

I don't have an issue with it because right now I'm kinda going through this JCP 1986 journey on What Happened When and Tully and Magnum look absolutely ridiculous every week with their jacked up foreheads (Tully's head has this weird purple alien shit going on cause I guess he kept going back to that side). I can see why just on cosmetic purposes alone why you would want to avoid that. Plus, it's no longer this badge of honor because we've seen ways it could go absolutely wrong.

I have an issue with people who do decide to do it and do a half ass job at it. 

• Like 1

There are ways to not end up looking like those guys; for one only blade horizontally, and for two do like Flair and Neosporin the shit out of yourself. 

You know what's funny is that I found out about the first trick from a Tully shoot so I guess maybe that doesn't work so well haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There are ways to not end up looking like those guys; for one only blade horizontally, and for two do like Flair and Neosporin the shit out of yourself. 

I wanna say this is like circa 89 (hell, it might have been earlier as in 86 or 87), but Flair had this noticeable rectangular pink patch on the left side of his forehead which I guess was like a mass of scar tissue. I don't think it ever went away or at the very least, it didn't go away until WCW started instituting a no blood policy so he couldn't make it worse.

I think with some of those guys because they were working virtually everyday and many times worked a matinee and night show that they basically did it almost everyday or at least every other day. At some point, that adds up no matter if you know how to clean it or not. I could see a wrestler who is invested in their looks and knows that this is very much a business based on looks just saying no to that even working a fourth of that schedule.

5 hours ago, A_K said:

Let it be said that for someone who is half a decade older than Undertaker & Foley, Sting is an absolute fucking physical colossus. 

I get it, we're all having fun here. It's a nice nostalgia run to (hopefully, though it isn't good) get Darby Allin over as a mainstay top guy.

However, there's a reason he's always in his long sleeve shirt during these physical angles. Maybe it's a credit to the people around him selling to make you think that but good grief.

2 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I get it, we're all having fun here. It's a nice nostalgia run to (hopefully, though it isn't good) get Darby Allin over as a mainstay top guy.

However, there's a reason he's always in his long sleeve shirt during these physical angles. Maybe it's a credit to the people around him selling to make you think that but good grief.

Sorry, name another 61 year old doing running splashes into the corner and executing beat-downs to a reasonably proficient manner. What exactly are you expecting physically from a dude who is 61?

Edited by A_K

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It just comes off to me as super lame. They probably have the opinion that it's one of those old carny things that needs to go away. Either that or that it's not necessary for their style, which I would agree with, but still. 

In the Bucks' defense - blading really is one of those old carny things that need to go away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm almost through this episode of Dynamite on my DVR, and I gotta say I really liked the Britt Baker vs. Nyla match. Some of it could have been a little smoother, but they worked their asses off. Heel vs. heel can be a little awkward, but I like how they at least did the arm thing throughout the majority of the match.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

So I'm watching Hangman Page vs Isiah Kassidy and the announcers are acting all surprised when Kassidy kicks out of a move that is not the buckshot lariat and I'm just rolling my eyes. Then I start thinking that maybe this is one complaint I'd make about AEW (and also, definitely, recent NJPW) which falls into the kind of "Pro Wrestling should be more like what I enjoyed when I was young" thinking that I generally tend to disparage: Wrestlers need to have secondary and tertiary finishers that we know sometimes win matches for them, otherwise how are we supposed to get excited for near-falls? And Kassidy kicks out of a Death Valley driver and a vertical brain buster, because of course he does those moves are not the buckshot lariat. And I'm mentally composing a complaint post, trying to decide which thread it belongs in... and then we get that finish... and it just makes me so happy to have been wrong. Plus, as @Jiji pointed out, the limb work in the match actually meant something. Nicely done Adam, Isiah, and the agent(s) and/or booker(s). Sincere appreciation from me here. I really popped for that and I will now be way more likely to bite on late match near-falls in the future.

I’m sure Hangman has also won one or two matches with a pop up powerbomb and maybe just a regular running Lariat.

After last night I’m convinced both Private Part guys are MUCH better on their own than when teaming. The two times they’ve been allowed to shine as singles (vs. Cody and vs. Hangman) both have really delivered IMO.

Am I the only one that thinks Griff Garrison has tons of potential too? He really lays his stuff in a la Hangman and even tho not everything he does looks pretty it also doesn’t look awkward, he goes all out intense and I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a star in AEW or maybe even Japan when he’s more seasoned.

Edited by eikerir

I think both the Blondes have a lot of potential. I know I already said this, but in a perfect world they could get in the ring 4-5 nights a week with FTR for a few months on tour, and really speed up the development.

16 hours ago, tbarrie said:

In the Bucks' defense - blading really is one of those old carny things that need to go away.

I have zero issue with anyone objecting to blading, be it a fans or wrestlers. It's pretty unreasonable to demand a human being take a razor blade to their own body to produce legitimate blood.

I also have zero issue with dudes that are cool with blading. I myself have bladed a handful of times when it was warranted. It's hard to explain to someone who's never done it. But when you're mid flow in a match with that reaction & adrenaline it's painless. You don't feel it at all. I'd rather blade than get an accidental paper cut lol. The nails on chalkboard sound of the blade scraping against your own skull bone is more off putting than any resulting pain. But I don't think it needs to go away. As long as people are being tested and keeping it safe from a health perspective I don't find it carny or dangerous at all.

That 'do it in a straight line, neosporin it' advice is garbage tho lol. It's still gonna scar up if you do it a bunch. How many people have a weird scar on their body from a single cut you've had in your life? I know I do. Yes neosporin will reduce the risk but it's not a miracle cure. I'd bet money Flair's forehead only looks so good in comparison to Dusty's because of a little plastic surgery.

• Like 4

I absolutely agree no wrestler should ever be pressured into blading, but I'm okay if someone wants to do it, as long as the promotion doesn't go overboard.

Remember right after WWE made the big PG move and banned the blade again, and for like three weeks there were 5+ guys bleeding on Impact every show? Pointless, that blood meant absolutely nothing.

Steve Austin bleeding a gusher at WrestleMania when there hadn't been a significantly bloody match in the company in something like 14 months? Huge.

• Like 2