DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

To me it's way more barbaric to make a human being take full force elbows to the skull to produce blood (Brock vs Orton, Summer Slam 2016). And way more dangerous too. Didn't Orton get a pretty bad concussion out of that whole debacle? Far worse that making a painless little 2 inch cut into your own head.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Steve Austin bleeding a gusher at WrestleMania when there hadn't been a significantly bloody match in the company in something like 14 months? Huge.

Austin still would have become the number one guys. But man. Talk about being shot out of a cannon. That blood made him way more than the 3:16 promo. Does that match mean as much without the blood? Nope. Still gets him over. Still gets him on the path to number one. But certainly it's a little steeper climb. Like starting at the bottom of a mountain vs a helicopter dropping you of 300 yards from the peak lol. And to think, that was Bret & Austin going against the office. That was during the no blood ban. But they knew what every smart wrestler knows, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

• Like 3

Missed the first part of this so I'll give it a watch. 

Dolph Ziggler's Brother made me go "he looks more punchable than his brother" and then I thought "no that's not true". He kinda looks like Mr. Kennedy with a spraytan though which is really really punchable. I guess nepotism doesn't count as much for some people because here he is in AEW getting squashed by an almost too-giving Moxley. Just cut the kid off and destroy him, please and thank you. Good promo but yeah, he's losing isn't he? 

Man I am all in for the Varsity Blondes being a new generation Fantastics or RnRs or what have you. Ricky Starks gets to work a match on Dynamite too, hot damn. This was Pillman's show though. Sweet Ryder kick, fluid work, great selling, and took rude bumps like going ass first on the outside and part of the ring steps. Griff gets a super hot tag with a killer dive and awesome dropkick + powerbomb that should end a match but Team Taz cut them off definitively. This was a great little match right here. Meanwhile, Cage took the Scorpion Deathdrop nicely, it looked like it could keep him down to me. The organ in Sting's theme is cool.

Rusev deserves better but I guess somebody's gotta fill out the middle of the card. 

• Like 1

I'm okay with the concept of Miro not being immediately shoved into a main event program (especially as we need to write off Moxley for a bit). I don't mind *debuts* during main event-level angles for people who are known and jumping ship like that, but not *feuds* to start with said main eventers. Given the flux of bringing in Miro and the loss of Brodie, they've been forced into patience with Miro and the whole wedding thing ended up being a blessing in my eyes. Miro's getting to lay low until after Revolution for the most part and it'll only be a benefit.

It's been covered already, but i finally caught up this morning and damn was that Page/Kassidy match a pleasant surprise, to the point that it's prolly my 2nd or 3rd fav AEW match of the year so far. Page really laying in those punches and lariats at the beginning really sets the tone, and while Kassidy working over an arm for the whole match, wouldn't seem like his wheelhouse, you can't really complain about anything he does here (and Excalibur even works in how it isn't in his wheelhouse during one of the holds, the cross armbreaker maybe?).