DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

I very much doubt The Old Buck actually did a blade job.

See, I was doubting that seriously, but when they went back to him a second time he looked worse. Either they decided that wasn't enough and decided to smear more fake blood on him or he actually bladed. You tell me.

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

See, I was doubting that seriously, but when they went back to him a second time he looked worse. Either they decided that wasn't enough and decided to smear more fake blood on him or he actually bladed. You tell me.

I'm thinking the former, he didn't blade.

Entertaining show but Dr. Britt Baker and Fenix should not be losing matches like this.  They are two of the company's hottest acts.   Fenix lost a very hard fought match to Lance Archer... that's not the issue.  The issue is Fenix always loses these 50-50 matches.  His record in AEW is 32-19.  Protect him more. 

Dr. Britt,  same deal.  She's is a top act in the women's division.  Get the belt on her or Thunder Rosa.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yeah, that’s incredibly baffling. AEW just can’t seem to get out of its own way with some of the booking decisions.

You belt has consistently been outshined by another promotions on your own show because none of you champions have had mass appeal. You have got a highly entertaining heel character and they’re doing a slow burn or just have no plans to put the title on her.

I don’t get it. 

Dr. Britt Baker doing the job is a head scratcher. Agree with all you say.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm thinking the former, he didn't blade.

It had to be a joke about The Bucks always refusing to blade. On BTE last year there was a series of gags with Nick doing fake blade jobs to get out of stuff.

I'm upset that Britt lost. I thought her vs. Rosa or Riho was a no brainer for a US Finals. It was a damn good match, but Britt needed that win.

• Like 2

I really feel like Britt can and will get her heat back soon enough. Again, she has unfinished business with Rosa. Maybe she's the next title challenger after Revolution. I'm not worried in the least for her and I think AEW, despite her losses, values her. She's already gotten so much TV time, even when injured (I forgot Statlander was on the roster when throwing names the division is going to build around btw) that she's established. This tournament should elevate somebody else. They need more high end names for the division that can be featured on Dynamite regularly. Yes, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy when you only have one women's match a week but this is a great chance to get some momentum on somebody that needs it more than Baker. She was the safe and obvious choice and when they've strayed from that, and they don't often, it's usually pretty good.

Anyway, this tournament has been a huge success in showing the growth of the women on the American side and building up some possible names to bring over from the Japan side. Riho/Rosa could be the best match yet. The division has been kickstarted by this damn thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I really feel like Britt can and will get her heat back soon enough. Again, she has unfinished business with Rosa. Maybe she's the next title challenger after Revolution. I'm not worried in the least for her and I think AEW, despite her losses, values her. She's already gotten so much TV time, even when injured (I forgot Statlander was on the roster when throwing names the division is going to build around btw) that she's established. This tournament should elevate somebody else. They need more high end names for the division that can be featured on Dynamite regularly. Yes, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy when you only have one women's match a week but this is a great chance to get some momentum on somebody that needs it more than Baker. She was the safe and obvious choice and when they've strayed from that, and they don't often, it's usually pretty good.

Anyway, this tournament has been a huge success in showing the growth of the women on the American side and building up some possible names to bring over from the Japan side. Riho/Rosa could be the best match yet. The division has been kickstarted by this damn thing. 

Whoever they bring over from Japan is going to be elevated.   My guess is Ryo wins, she'll get over (even if it's possible the AEW fans might not like her initially due to her beating Maki)

I think Tay, Britt could be built up easily. Tay is just unique (I really wish she'd switch her finisher to that hammerlock DDT,it's her best move and she can hit it on anyone unlike the TayKO), and Britt is just a great heel.

• Like 2

AEW runs a lot of tournaments/eliminators, and these things involve people doing jobs. Anyone who is expecting protection for up and coming acts will be disappointed.

Nyla is an important part of the division too and it makes sense for her to be able to be able to pull the win out here. I thought the match was great and Baker wasn't hurt at all in the defeat. It's obvious her time is coming.

• Like 7

Moxley is the best squash match worker on the roster, though there were a few good ones on this show. Another great promo too, even if it is obviously setting up him losing and going away on leave for a while

Team Taz vs Blondes was good fun and I thought the younguns in particular looked good. I've been critical of how long they've dragged this Sting/Darby fued out but I did really enjoy this segment and thought it was easily the best segment with Sting since his debut.

My favourite Fenix matches are him vs big men so I enjoyed the main event. Archer isn't half as good as Mesias or PARK and he fucked up a couple spots but Fenix looked good. Fenix has put in the work so far in 2021 and deserves more than just a random ladder spotfest for the PPV, but I am over Archer right now. I would have been happy to with him being a token title defence for Omega on TV and moving back down the card, but he's not a guy I want to see on TV every 1-2 weeks.

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

It had to be a joke about The Bucks always refusing to blade. On BTE last year there was a series of gags with Nick doing fake blade jobs to get out of stuff.

I'm upset that Britt lost. I thought her vs. Rosa or Riho was a no brainer for a US Finals. It was a damn good match, but Britt needed that win.

• Like 1

So I'm watching Hangman Page vs Isiah Kassidy and the announcers are acting all surprised when Kassidy kicks out of a move that is not the buckshot lariat and I'm just rolling my eyes. Then I start thinking that maybe this is one complaint I'd make about AEW (and also, definitely, recent NJPW) which falls into the kind of "Pro Wrestling should be more like what I enjoyed when I was young" thinking that I generally tend to disparage: Wrestlers need to have secondary and tertiary finishers that we know sometimes win matches for them, otherwise how are we supposed to get excited for near-falls? And Kassidy kicks out of a Death Valley driver and a vertical brain buster, because of course he does those moves are not the buckshot lariat. And I'm mentally composing a complaint post, trying to decide which thread it belongs in... and then we get that finish... and it just makes me so happy to have been wrong. Plus, as @Jiji pointed out, the limb work in the match actually meant something. Nicely done Adam, Isiah, and the agent(s) and/or booker(s). Sincere appreciation from me here. I really popped for that and I will now be way more likely to bite on late match near-falls in the future.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's really a thing? 

Fuck those guys. I like them even less now. 

You like the Bucks even less because they refuse to take a razorblade to their foreheads? Uh, okay. That's one of the more weird reasons I've seen, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

So I'm watching Hangman Page vs Isiah Kassidy and the announcers are acting all surprised when Kassidy kicks out of a move that is not the buckshot lariat and I'm just rolling my eyes. Then I start thinking that maybe this is one complaint I'd make about AEW (and also, definitely, recent NJPW) which falls into the kind of "Pro Wrestling should be more like what I enjoyed when I was young" thinking that I generally tend to disparage: Wrestlers need to have secondary and tertiary finishers that we know sometimes win matches for them, otherwise how are we supposed to get excited for near-falls? And Kassidy kicks out of a Death Valley driver and a vertical brain buster, because of course he does those moves are not the buckshot lariat. And I'm mentally composing a complaint post, trying to decide which thread it belongs in... and then we get that finish... and it just makes me so happy to have been wrong. Plus, as @Jiji pointed out, the limb work in the match actually meant something. Nicely done Adam, Isiah, and the agent(s) and/or booker(s). Sincere appreciation from me here. I really popped for that and I will now be way more likely to bite on late match near-falls in the future.

While escalation can be a problem that arises from the following, allowing wrestlers to mature and survive moves that previously put them away is something AJPW did so well before it got completely out of hand. Have three moves that can put people away: one for young lions and jabronis, one for midcarders and one for top guys. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Seeing Sting with the Stinger Splash and Scorpion Deathdrop made me smile.

And Cage sold the combo like he'd been hit in the crotch with a club made of Kryptonite.  I was pleased.

• Like 3

RE: Baker. Curious if she may have been originally booked to lose to Anna Jay in the first round of the women's tournament. Looking at the original brackets, I thought it was too soon to try Jay-Conti, but both Baker and Rose could survive a first round upset and come out of it generally unscathed.

Both Conti and Jay are projects, but AEW seemed more likely to give Jay a boost in this tourney, upsetting Baker then taking Rose to the brink. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

You like the Bucks even less because they refuse to take a razorblade to their foreheads? Uh, okay. That's one of the more weird reasons I've seen, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

It just comes off to me as super lame. They probably have the opinion that it's one of those old carny things that needs to go away. Either that or that it's not necessary for their style, which I would agree with, but still. 

And anyway I'm the guy who suggested we start up the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS thread so what did you expect? ?

*Not everyone is going to agree with my next statement and that's okay.* Nyla Rose is the drizzling shits. Nia Jax is green as hell and very unsafe. But Nyla is 10x worse. Now maybe I'm basing this on in ring stuff that a worker can see vs the average fan that doesn't know the ins and outs of in ring stuff. But dude. This is the second time I've seen that she nearly killed someone with a sloppy badly timed Superplex where she starts too soon. Her footwork is bad. Her strikes are bad. Seriously there was one stomp while Britt was on the mat that looked worse than kids playing fighting throwing fake kicks that purposely don't land. I am totally perplexed at what anyone in AEW management sees in her. She's constantly one step away from injuring someone. She blows up every match and gets even sloppier for finishing stretches. I can only assume that she's just a very likable person in real life that everyone loves being around, and that love for the person is clouding their judgement of the performer. But man. I'm just so confused by her constant push over better acts.

And just so I don't end this post with total negativity, that was the best Sting segment yet. I really enjoyed everything about it, especially the wacky video that played before their entrance. Darby zip-lining down was cool. Sting being 100% medically cleared and hitting his stuff clean was awesome. Good stuff.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
typo
  • Like 8

@NoFistsJustFlips in total agreement on Nyla Rose, don't dig her work at all and always feels lacking control.

Favourite match tonight was Hangman - Kassidy. Where's Marc Quen? Kassidy definitely growing these past few weeks. Hangman tending to Five with John and Alex gave me feels. Love to see TH2 getting some more airtime too, think Angelico has some untapped potential, the dude is just cool as fuck. Give him a scenester gimmick now, where he just rips on everyone else's taste in music. 

The blood on both Bucks on the truck was a great visual. 

JR money count for the night: 15

As Archer won, JR mentioned something along the lines of him being "the biggest man in the ladder match, presumably". You don't think they'd throw Paul Wight in it would they? 4 announced so far, qualifier next week in the go home show makes 5,so who's the 6th?