DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/24/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I didn't expect much from Britt/Nyla but thought it was actually really great. Absolutely shocked by the result as I had Baker winning the whole thing. Excellent near falls throughout with the exposed buckle, Rebel interfering and some real solid selling. Loved Nyla hitting the Beast Bomb but being unable to capitalize the first time due to her hurt arm and the struggles built around the Lockjaw were very well done... great stuff.  I'm always rooting for Riho so I'm down for Riho/Nyla 3, but I still think Thunder pulls it off and that's an intriguing match as well. Very much looking forward to Riho/Rosa on Sunday.

Enjoyed the main event a lot as well. Thought Fenix would win but very glad to see Archer get it and I look forward to him being in the ladder match. Finish here looked good. 

Sting getting fired up was awesome, loved seeing the splash and the Deathdrop. Darby's arrival was memorable as well. Best segment yet in this feud. Team Taz/Varsity Blondes was pretty good while it lasted. Enjoying the Hangman/Matt feud. Thought the Papa Buck beating was actually solid heat building and added a real more personal grudge feel to that match which it needed.

I love the continued stacked lineups... even a show like tonight that on paper might not have seemed super stacked but definitely delivered. And now we have Sunday then Crossroads then Revolution. Love it.

• Like 5

I'm glad Lance Archer got the win, although I would have preferred if both he and Fenix were in the ladder match. I loved the match between these two aside from the Spanish Fly spot. Things could have gone really bad if Fenix didn't clear Jake. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Seemed like Nyla vs. Britt told you who will win Thunder Rosa vs. Riho. If Britt wins then Thunder wins to get the rematch if Nyla wins then Riho wins to get another match in their series. 

I personally would be very interested in a Nyla/Rosa match and while less so a rematch with Riho.  That and the other potential matchups very much have my attention. Plus I think both feuds have more in the tank so no need to rush it. 

Damn fine show. 

At this point, I'd be incredibly shocked if next week's match doesn't end with a Shaq/Show face-off. The timing is too suspect.

Vintage Sting was a treat and even though I'm tired of the angle as a whole, tonight's segment was great. Loved Hook in the body bag. 

Nyla/Britt was great - I was speculating on when we'd get Nyla/Riho again, maybe this is it (though really, I hope they don't wait too long on Britt and they strike while the iron is hot)

I for one actually liked the papa buck beat down, I thought the blood on their faces was a really nice touch 

Editing to say that the main event also really brought it. I'm never going to get tired of Lance talking shit into the camera, and Fenix is just unreal

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I personally would be very interested in a Nyla/Rosa match and while less so a rematch with Riho.  That and the other potential matchups very much have my attention. Plus I think both feuds have more in the tank so no need to rush it. 

After watching Ryo Mizunami have a genuinely entertaining match vs 2021 Aja Kong, I am pretty interested in seeing what she might be able to get out of Nyla Rose.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, EVA said:

Nyla beating Britt was...something.  Not really sure where this tournament is going now.

Man, I would've put money on Baker. I love not knowing and it still making sense. Great match too. Britt and Kassidy had their best matches to date on tonight's episode. Hangman is working like Stone Cold (those early match punches and mud hole stomps) with power highspots and athleticism. He's becoming a god tier worker really quickly. Pillman looked like a breakout star for the first time and Garrison is a great hot tag. So many potential-loaded tag teams. I can't wait for Hook to start working because you can tell that dude is A Worker. I marked out so hard for the Darby/Sting vid and then the actual angle was so money. Sting looked very mobile and I can't wait for that match. What a fantastic show this has been lately. 

I'm happy with the Britt swerve because she can totally still play out her story with Thunder Rosa and win the title later down the road without the tournament win. The tourney is a better used for somebody else to get a big shine. Tbh, while she has improved quite a bit in the ring she's still probably not where you want your champ but I will change my mind real quick if she keeps this up. They played up the turnbuckle spot from recent matches, teased the lockjaw very well, and kept the arm work going until the end. Impressed with that here and in the Hangmin match (he won with the deadeye because of da arm work). Simple effective storytelling. Bret would be proud with those two matches and last week's Deeb performance. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't pay much attention tonight but when I did I mostly saw silly stuff, like the Bucks' daddy doing a blade job, Baker wimpily tossing around trash cans, Fenix doing a Spanish Fly on a 300 lb. man... seriously dude, when you have a move called Rolling Thunder that looks dumber than Rob Van Dam's then you need to cut it out. 

I very much doubt The Old Buck actually did a blade job.