Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

People may be forgetting that PROGRESS tried this with the tag shields and the infamous 'Nazi Staff':

Progress-Staff.jpeg

Progress-Chapter-twelve-700x700.jpg

 

I've never seen that before. That shield looks like the grand prize from "Legends of the Hidden Temple" or some shit...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Enlighten me on this: Do people think it's Nazi related or is the promotion itself saying it's Nazi related? Cause if it's the latter, then that's certainly problematic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 2:53 PM, MapRef41N93W said:

Regarding championships, I stand with Minoru Suzuki:

I never liked the idea of secondary titles that are secondary just because. Even as a kid, I would think "what exactly does the WWF European championship have to do with Europe?"

Also--and I realize this is easy for me to say when I've never had to book a wrestling promotion--I think it's a bad sign if you need to introduce new titles to have feuds that feel like they're going somewhere.

Great call.

I can't remember where (might have been Gulak?) but I recall reading one of the 205 live guys wanted the belt to be defended exclusively in 2/3 falls matches to help set it apart from other titles rather than just being "it's for the little guys". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 3:53 AM, MapRef41N93W said:

Regarding championships, I stand with Minoru Suzuki:

I never liked the idea of secondary titles that are secondary just because. Even as a kid, I would think "what exactly does the WWF European championship have to do with Europe?"

Also--and I realize this is easy for me to say when I've never had to book a wrestling promotion--I think it's a bad sign if you need to introduce new titles to have feuds that feel like they're going somewhere.

We all better if we value our collective health ;).

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the "championships that aren't belts" tip, I'm partial to the MidwestTerritory.Com championship, a gold rope with a faceplate on it, currently held by "The Beast King" Chase Holliday

chase.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 11:21 AM, RunningFromAmerica said:

People may be forgetting that PROGRESS tried this with the tag shields and the infamous 'Nazi Staff':

Progress-Staff.jpeg

 

 

I'm not a big Progress guy but didn't Jimmy Havok melt down their belt into the staff as some sort of heel power move?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@RunningFromAmerica So no followup on these Nazi thing? I mean I could see it being confused with the Reichsadler, but at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily assume Nazi when a bunch of places use an eagle on something. That's pretty heavy to lay on someone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When the staff was unveiled, the crowd immediately chanted 'Nazi Staff!'. Jim Smallman (now NXTUK obv) said 'It's not a Nazi Staff!'.

I think Progress saw it as more of an Ancient World thing than Nazis who were also trying to claim the mantle of the great Ancients. But they probably should have known better.

Presented without comment:

7195996._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was planning on having a chill Sunday night watching the show until my friend practically invited himself last night.  Considering him and a couple others coming up are either vaccinated or about to be soon I figure why the hell not.  So let's just say I'll be needing this come Monday.

huge-coffee-cups.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Implying a long night reminds me, is it going to be three or four hours long? Fingers crossed for three, I can't remember which PPV it was (I don't think it was their last but the one before), however it went nearly four hours and dragged terribly by the end. I'd rather be able to care about a goddamn Exploding Anything match by the time it rolls around. 

The street fight should be the opener, now that I think about it. There's a street fight, a ladder match, and a deathmatch on the same card and they're going to have to space them out or we will be burned out by the main event.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon the Jericho & MJF vs Young Bucks World Tag team Title match is going on first.    Tony K made the announcement on his AEW Unrestricted. Revolution PPV pseudo-hype show the other day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Implying a long night reminds me, is it going to be three or four hours long? Fingers crossed for three, I can't remember which PPV it was (I don't think it was their last but the one before), however it went nearly four hours and dragged terribly by the end. I'd rather be able to care about a goddamn Exploding Anything match by the time it rolls around. 

The street fight should be the opener, now that I think about it. There's a street fight, a ladder match, and a deathmatch on the same card and they're going to have to space them out or we will be burned out by the main event.

I'm worried about that as well.  I can see three, maybe 3 1/2 at the most but anything past that is asking for trouble.  If it does work that way then it won't affect my sleep schedule so fingers crossed on that one.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Barbed Wire match going on last, presumably it's going to take a while to change the ring up and fit the wire and bombs and that. So how are they filling the downtime there? Is that what the big legend announcement is going to be, a ring crew time filler?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an adult who can make his own choices, I'm totally looking forward to getting high, eating a large bowl of pasta or fancy mac and cheese, and watching Revolution.

Followed by dieting on Monday.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AxB said:

With the Barbed Wire match going on last, presumably it's going to take a while to change the ring up and fit the wire and bombs and that. So how are they filling the downtime there? Is that what the big legend announcement is going to be, a ring crew time filler?

Not sure they want the two biggest matches on the show back-to-back, but last I heard the street fight is still thought to be cinematic. If that's the case, that could give them an opening. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AxB said:

With the Barbed Wire match going on last, presumably it's going to take a while to change the ring up and fit the wire and bombs and that. So how are they filling the downtime there? Is that what the big legend announcement is going to be, a ring crew time filler?

I don't think it'll take very long to switch things out. At All out they were able to build / fill / install two giant pools of mimosas with connected platforms in the time it took for the hype video to play. I'm sure they had wheels and were just rolled into place. One of the benefits of the ringside being all workers that will move & help with setup.

They have never said this is a no rope barbed wire match. And if you saw the hype video on the Road To show that played after Dynamite, looks like they have a wooden fence like structure with the barbed wire the length of the ring already pre made. Just take a minute or two to get them in place and drilled together. The bombs could just be attached to plywood boards and already pre assembled too. Just have to slide them into place at ringside or whatever? I could be full of shit here lol. But the Road To had stock footage of the AEW ring in Jacksonville with the barbed wire already in place, likely from a test run. I don't think they would fabricate something just for the hype video and that not actually be the way they are doing it. So no one be surprised when the ropes are still connected and it takes less than 5 mins to set it all up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Tony Khans rundown of the card on the podcast it seemed like they were doing the actual order of the card. Just remember the beginning and end:

 

Spoiler

Bucks vs jericho/mjf

Tag team battle royal

...

Page vs Hardy

Moxley vs Omega

IIRC all of the ppvs have been 4 hours so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There definitely has to be a heat-killer before the main (if you have been reading Dolfan's Wrestlemania watches) and yeah... the Best Friends tag would work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...