DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

STOP KICKING ME WHILE I'M DOWN. LIVERPOOL ARE SHIT AND THEY MASSACRED MY BOY TONIGHT. 

COME ON FULHAM

Coach T.K. (well, really Scott Parker) got the ship righted at Craven Cottage, but as soon as that happened, apparently AEW goes downhill. But look, if it means that Fulham avoids relegation, I'll take the trade-off. 

• Like 2

What is QT Marshall going to do as a heel?  Dude is 35 and looks older than Christian. 

Best case scenario, he creates his own gang of D-Level hangers on, a Legion of Doom to Nightmare Family's Superfriends, and they feud for years, keeping Cody out of the storylines I do care about.  He can be the Sinestro to Cody's Green Lantern, and we all know how much Cody loves superhero storylines.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Seeing a few "haven't ordered anything in a many years but sprung for this" posts in this thread, and they're generally positive responses. It makes me think of when I first discovered indy shit a couple of decades ago and saw what was really dumb as well done simply because it was something different. ECW Syndrome, if you will. I remember thinking Heat Wave 2000 was the best PPV I'd ever seen at the time simply because it was my first exposure to that presentation. Got a lot of flak on the 1wrestling.com messageboard about that and never understood why. Now I kinda get where those detractors had an origin.

Online response seems to be VERY polarized, with most shitting on it due to the farty pyro but a sizeable minority giving each match high marks. Very little in the middle. Sad thing is, that's where I am! This show had a LOT of good stuff going for it but it would end up overwhelmed by poor decisions which had greater consequences. The biggest demerits are 1) I shouldn't think of your show as one of two halves, and 2) I shouldn't think of one as dramatically better than the other. 

EDIT: Double post as I started it on another page.

EDIT II, THE QUICKENING: Yeah, I double posted but this page reminded me about QT Marshall. I'd like to think I pay a decent bit of attention to AEW. I don't know who individuals are a lot when reading about them and only last night figured out which Young Buck was which, but I had NO IDEA who QT was or what he looked like until last night. It was a name I'd hear on commentary a lot but within Nightmare Family group brawls, or saw the name online. I also believe he's been with that faction for longer than, say, the Gunn brood. How the fuck did I not really know anything about them before last night? A heel turn means nothing if there's nothing to make me care. Granted, I don't see Dynamite live every week but I make sure to watch YouTube highlights the next day which are posted. Still, I didn't know what this fucker looked like until last night. Piss poor. I'll watch your weeky TV show but I'm not about to slog through a bunch of tongue-in-cheek vlogs or ancilliary bullshit to understand when something major happens on your flagship programs.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun

It felt like every match went too long and too big and there was definitely way too much interference. Could be just from catching it pretty late at night after the fact and after a busy day, but after reading this thread I guess I'm far from  alone in feeling kinda let down.

It's weird how flat the PPV felt for me after weeks of enjoying the hell out of every episode of Dynamite and big fistfuls of Dark as well. 

It's like AEW makes really great ice cream but this time out they decided that to help us really enjoy it they'd serve it to us topped with whipped cream and chopped nuts and chocolate sprinkles and rainbow sprinkles and chocolate chips and little marshmallows and hot fudge and butterscotch and raspberry jam and honey and powdered sugar and crushed up smarties and a kit kat bar and some cookie crumbles and a wafer and some cherries and maybe some more sprinkles or something. I just wanted some ice cream, dudes. Your ice cream is pretty great.

There was stuff I liked a lot, like Jungle Boy vs Fenix and the Page/DO group hug and so on. I guess I can see why AEW might feel the need to go the extra mile for a PPV but I wish they'd take about 20 percent off, or so.

Speaking of which, I've finally figured out who Lance Archer's tough guy promo snarl reminds me of. I'm going to put it in spoilers because I don't think I can un-hear it now...

Spoiler

Stuart from Letterkenny when he's playing up his self-serious rage.

I felt really bad for Mox and Omega putting themselves through all of that when all anyone will remember is that damp fart of an ending visual. I feel bad for Kingston, too. That could have been a great moment for him. 

King can talk his way out of that embarrassment. 

I think AEW needs to apologize for it and move on, quickly. Trying to make lemonade out of it can only make matters worse, I fear.

• Like 4

I've seen parts of this show - didn't pay for it, in all truth - and really, I've sort of checked out of AEW anyway, but it seemed like a bad show? I think my dislike of AEW is really my fault and not the company's fault. I thought that I'd be getting a Southern-wrasslin' style 1985 JCP throwback, or I'd hoped for that, maybe mixed with the (then) modern storylines and pacing of a typical 1996 WCW Nitro. I did not get that. 

I think actually, that's the only thing that can get me back to modern wrestling in the U.S. (other than maybe a studio show with a really good roster like Powerrr was). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i can't listen to the criticisms on Christian when a month ago the internet was going crazy over his comeback for the Royal Rumble. Don't be that guy. 

I love me some Christian. Him being on the roster, assuming he's not completely fallen apart, should be a mammoth plus. Having him be the "announced surprise" is a booking mistake. Announced surprises lead to huge expectations for the audience and nothing short of a Punk, Cena or Lesnar would have met that expectation. When you let the crowd imagine the possibilities, they are going to think really big and these sort of surprises only work if they can pay that off. So like "who is the nWo third man?" worked because they couldn't have gone with a bigger name than Hogan. If they would have just had Christian come out and join the Inner Circle or something unannounced, it would have been a much more positive reaction. As it is, you've made this very positive roster move and you've made Christian a letdown because he's not the tippy top of draws.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

COME ON FULHAM

Coach T.K. (well, really Scott Parker) got the ship righted at Craven Cottage, but as soon as that happened, apparently AEW goes downhill. But look, if it means that Fulham avoids relegation, I'll take the trade-off. 

Scott Parker has done a great job. I think Fulham will stay up. Sheffield United (second season syndrome) and West Bromwich Albion are fucked. It's seeing who winds up in the last relegation spot. Hoping for Newcastle United with Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Seeing a few "haven't ordered anything in a many years but sprung for this" posts in this thread, and they're generally positive responses. It makes me think of when I first discovered indy shit a couple of decades ago and saw what was really dumb as well done simply because it was something different. ECW Syndrome, if you will. I remember thinking Heat Wave 2000 was the best PPV I'd ever seen at the time simply because it was my first exposure to that presentation. Got a lot of flak on the 1wrestling.com messageboard about that and never understood why. Now I kinda get where those detractors had an origin.

Online response seems to be VERY polarized, with most shitting on it due to the farty pyro but a sizeable minority giving each match high marks. Very little in the middle. Sad thing is, that's where I am! This show had a LOT of good stuff going for it but it would end up overwhelmed by poor decisions which had greater consequences. The biggest demerits are 1) I shouldn't think of your show as one of two halves, and 2) I shouldn't think of one as dramatically better than the other. 

Note - I said I paid for it but I watch literally more wrestling than is healthily recommended. First time I've paid 50 dollars for an event since years before the Network.  I liked this show more than a lot of WWE PPVs recently (with the exception of the Rumble.) It wasn't as good as the last Takeover for sure. Think I enjoyed it more than a lot of recent NJPW even if the work didn't peak as high. But NJPW has had an awful atmosphere and a lot of overbooking.  

I dunno. The gimmick match sold the show and overall I liked the match even with the disappointing ending.

Was this a BAD show? I mean, it wasn't Wrestle Kingdom but believe me this won't be the worse PPV of the month.  

Edited by Hagan

4 minutes ago, Goodear said:

nothing short of a Punk, Cena or Lesnar would have met that expectation.

That's crazy to me.  Not at you..  just that people were expecting any of those guys.  that's such an unrealistic expectation to have.  All i remember is them saying "hall of fame worthy"  and Christian is HOF worthy...   

it's not like they debuted Chris Harris. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's crazy to me.  Not at you..  just that people were expecting any of those guys.  that's such an unrealistic expectation to have.  All i remember is them saying "hall of fame worthy"  and Christian is HOF worthy...   

it's not like they debuted Chris Harris. 

TAFKA Braden Walker:

• Like 2

You can't hype someone as a game-changer and then trot out Christian, and I love Christian. 

What's crazy is their "overhype this thing" strategy. This isn't the only thing they've overhyped, IMO. 

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Bringing in Ethan Page but not Josh Alexander?  I love Ethan, one of the nicest guys in the biz but would have really loved to see them as a package.

So would we all. But Josh is still under contract till next year. Ethan on his own is still worth a spot.

Edit: Forgot about the talent exchange. Maybe that can open up some possibilities. But who knows.

Edited by John from Cincinnati

7 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

You can't hype someone as a game-changer and then trot out Christian, and I love Christian. 

What's crazy is their "overhype this thing" strategy. This isn't the only thing they've overhyped, IMO. 

... it's a Wrestling Promotion.

• Like 1

The true irony is that I enjoyed watching the show even if I disliked a majority of it, but ascribe that to being in a chatroom as it aired and having at least a virtual group atmosphere. Watching chicken shit with others will almost always give you the emotional chicken salad response.  I couldn't even count how many times a shit PPV was still enjoyable because it was at a sports bar with other fans who I regularly saw. 

Had I been isolated without the online aspect, or had swung the expensive (at least on SeatGeek) ticket price to see it in person? I'd be way less forgiving. The event as a whole gets a C+ as I watched it with others. It's a little better than average, but not by much. I would have said that before the farty pyro ending too. Even if the ending had gone as imagined I wouldn't have put it above a B-. 

My issues lie in the match order and lack of cohesion where shit happens in matches early in the show that should be something later. I cited a couple already but another was one of the Bucks doing an overhand strike/chop flurry to get the crowd hyped in the opener. THAT'S WHAT STING IS DOING LATER DON'T DO IT NOW

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1

"We have a surprise but it will mostly underwhelm you" isn't how you promote things. I mean, maybe Khan went a little overboard but you can't say the dude isn't into it. And, honestly, why WOULDN'T you treat every signing as a big deal? The Nets got the desiccated husk of Blake Griffin over the weekend and they're not like "he's a washed up, broken down vet who won't mean anything." They're treating him like he's the final piece of the puzzle that will do great things. 

If they just left it at what Wight said on the TV it would have been fine but, as I said, Khan got a little hype with it. Not a huge deal, though. 

OK first of all I loved Bryce Remsburg in the bombsuit. I also rewatched the Funk vs Onita match recently and glad to see they mimicked the absurd referee costume. I enjoyed the match mostly, it gave you what you wanted from this - suspense, drama, bloody, grotesque violence. But good grief these Bullet Club finishes are the absolute dogshit worst. This was your big main event title picture career-ending blow-off match and THAT's the finish? Imagine HHH vs Foley ending with Road Dogg and Mr Ass doing a run-in. I liked Kingston going babyface and cosplaying the Onita/Funk finish, but those childrens fireworks going off was pretty embarrassing

• Like 1

It's the under promise and over deliver maxim, except they didn't technically over promise anything. They let the audience hype itself up and couldn't live up to that level of expectation. They'd have been better off not announcing anything and just having Christian show up on the show as a blind surprise like Lex Luger on the opening night of WCW Nitro.

EDIT: Or they could have lowered the level of hype to something other than Hall of Fame level. As much as I don't like the direction they've gone with Miro, he exceeded expectations as the 'Best Man' for Kip Sabian and got momentum from the lowered expectations.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1