DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

21 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I mean they had to test it before hand and know what it would look like. And considering the same shit happened in one of the most famous versions of this match ever (Foley/Funk) how could they believe fans wouldn’t shit on it? 

Honestly they could have just left it at the ropes. The ring didn’t need to blow up and the outside the ring boards looked bad too. Just the ropes would have been fine if they were insisting on doing this sort of match with a crowd. 

Yeah the exploding barbed wire ropes looked good unlike the birds with explosives around the ring and that final explosion.

I'm keeping that autocorrect in.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

For me, I'd guess it's the combination of not being a huge death match guy, and also not a fan of action movies and big explosions to begin with. Good news is that AEW is most likely done with both for a long awhile now.

They might be done with promoting actual deathmatch types, but I don't see them A) being done with the extreme style spots since Tony is clearly an ECW mark, and B) being done with the action movie/cinematic matches. For one, they've got an extremely limited Sting on the roster who still wants to work, and they've also been very consistent with the pre-tape matches unlike WWE.

2 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

They had 1,200 fans in attendance - if I'd have been there and had to watch the last 2 matches on a video screen - that would have sucked

So we are back to the singular glaring fact; don’t attempt things you can’t deliver on. It’s so painful to see them screw this up so badly. Your most hyped show in company history and confined to the history books as a punchline 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I really hope there's a moratorium on gimmick matches. They should just stick to straight wrestling matches with built up drama, and as somebody else said (apologies!), war games when fans are back in full force should be about it. They have an awesome roster and they don't need gimmicks to sell PPVs. Like how crazy talented is their roster? Guys that just popped out tonight and could easily work their way up to the main event scene in the matter of months:

• Pac
  • Jungle Boy
  • Fenix
  • Starks
  • Silver
  • Miro isn't young but he's so ready to go now that he's found his edge
  • MJF is pretty much there. Within touching distance. He's just insanely charismatic.
  • Darby is the face equivalent of MJF.

And there are a handful not featured heavily that can be added to that list.

In the other direction, I really enjoyed Dark talent and storylines getting featured and progressed respectively in the battle royal. A lot of these PPVs feature people who have real hopes of becoming champ/top guys. It's nice to have an undercard match where guys are just busting ass to be there and don't have the weight of expectations on their shoulders. Felt like a WCW type of deal and I was okay with that and then some. Why weren't Top Flight in this match? Anywho, another thing I dug was they've got some young guys that work an old school tag style with some modernized updates. Varsity Blondes, Gunn Club (yuck but whatever), and Acclaimed come to mind in particular. Good contrast to the Private Party indieriffic types.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, matwarz said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why they didn’t have a seperate ring set up in the stadium and do it there. There must have been limitations for placed on them and they must have been fully aware of them. In which case a straight no rope barbed wire would have done the job just fine.

In EverBank or what use to be EverBank? I don't see that getting approved just because then you bring the NFL into it. If something goes wrong, then it's a big publicity thing. 

Is this going to lead to Jon Moxley self-immolating himself like the RATM debut album cover? I feel that's type of guy Moxley is especially with no WWE people to stop him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Besides sporadic WWE network subs this was my first PPV purchase since WrestleMania 23. I don't regret my purchase but it did seem like every match was about 5 minutes too long. I thought I must have missed something during the explosion, what a shitty way to end the show. I was at Royal Rumble 2006 and the ending of the show pissed us all off, but it at least looked good on TV. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm just gonna go back and re-watch the pop that Maki Itoh got on the pre-show. That's very satisfying.

Why is she a heel? I get wanting to put her in there in the storyline but it doesn't work. People adore her and will not boo her. 

Edit: I mean, I guess she's not a heel heel but still. Why is she on the heel side? 

Edited by Jiji

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Why is she a heel? I get wanting to put her in there in the storyline but it doesn't work. People adore her and will not boo her. 

Edit: I mean, I guess she's not a heel heel but still. Why is she on the heel side? 

Maki did it to herself, when she said she'd get revenge on Shida for Britt Baker prior to that six woman tag last week.

That's for true, good point. Still gonna make for weird crowd reactions. How long you think she sticks around before having to quarantine for two weeks on her return? Honestly the best surprise of the three imo (Page is pretty good and Christian was great but it's Ito's time).

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Thinking back for bright spots, silver and jungle boy came out of that match great. They must’ve been stoked all evening. Can’t wait for bte tomorrow (please maki and silver - and whatever they have new to say about the finish). 

Just now, Jiji said:

That's for true, good point. Still gonna make for weird crowd reactions. How long you think she sticks around before having to quarantine for two weeks on her return? Honestly the best surprise of the three imo.

I believe she has a title match on the 27th in Japan, so... Wednesday is probably the last day.

No commentary in cinematic matches. Didn't make a lick of sense.

I had come around to thinking the main event was 6/10 with the explosive bat finish. I didn't see it coming and it looked like it really would have fucked someone up with finality like Moxley when they've been built as indestructible and having a neverending blood supply. I despise the deathmatch stuff and was dreading this so that they'd gotten some positive feeling from me was good. 

The Women's Championship match was good in the middle when it resembled a hard-hitting hoss fight without the hosses but the beginning and ending thirds were rough.

I don't like this extremely reactive behavior AEW tends to have. What happened with the flat climax can sit overnight without trying to throw out a bunch of other narratives and posting extra videos on YouTube and so on. Give yourselves a night of sleep to figure out how to address the dissonance between what you saw happen and what everyone was selling from the ring to the commentary table. Poor Eddie more than anyone.

On the bright side, it was great fun in the chat for the first time. 

How in the wide world of sports are Edge and Christian the same fuckin' age?

I didn't completely hate a Bucks match because one of them sold being hit in the back with a baseball bat for like, four, five seconds! Progress!

The Best Friends/Miro n' Kip match did what it needed to do and was the right amount of time. Sadly, it was the only match that did this. Wait, I take that back, Page/Hardy was fine and I actually popped for the Dark Order. I've NEVER done that before. It always ends up in the details, like there being blood in the tag match on a night where you're selling a deathmatch as your main draw. During Page/Hardy, they do a lot of stuff fucking with Page's hand and the first time he uses it he's all "agh! That hurt!" and that was good but then he immediately tries to use it again and messes with his hair and stuff. 

And they did the friggin' order of matches that I was worried about. Alllllll the gimmicks and crazy shit got backloaded. Details!

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I believe she has a title match on the 27th in Japan, so... Wednesday is probably the last day.

I'd assume she sticks around for the Thursday taping as well.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I'd assume she sticks around for the Thursday taping as well.

That's cutting it even closer since you basically lose a day in the air, but yeah, you're right. I keep forgetting that they tape the next day after a live episode - I haven't been watching the live shows weekly due to work.

But, look, all this really means is that they can do what's really important: film a fuckton of BTE skits that 0.0003% of the board will watch (@Craig H @Jiji)

• Like 1

Yeah overall the show was a let down but they did at least manage to set a few new angles in motion. Miro breaking away from Sabian (he was getting pretty aggressive with them at the end there), Inner Circle booting Jericho out (that's GOTTA be where this is headed, right?) and Kingston turning face. Also I wholeheartedly agree with JR's request for as many Silver vs Pac matches as possible. I'm also excited to see what Christian can still do. I heard he looked pretty good in the Royal Rumble.  

Edited by BrianS81177

Silver vs Pac is a match I didn't know I needed to see but now want post-haste.

Moxley is clearly going to be out for a while now, or at least be done with Omega for the time being. Who is the next challenger then? Kingston going to get revenge for his friend?

53 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Yeah overall the show was a let down but they did at least manage to set a few new angles in motion. Miro breaking away from Sabian (he was getting pretty aggressive with them at the end there), Inner Circle booting Jericho out (that's GOTTA be where this is headed, right?) and Kingston turning face. Also I wholeheartedly agree with JR's request for as many Silver vs Pac matches as possible. I'm also excited to see what Christian can still do. I heard he looked pretty good in the Royal Rumble.  

Christian looked great in the Royal Rumble match. Amazing to see he hasn't missed a step. Glad we got one last Christian moment in WWE including Edge and Christian reuniting.

Man...I don't want to be this guy since I watch AEW infrequently at best, but am glad the promotion exists as an alternative to the rest of North American wrestling.

But - and I hate to admit it - it was wrestlecrap quite a ways before the "explosion" went off. You have the commentary team talking about how there are "no failsafes" at the end of the match before the explosions are set to blow, and that the explosions are still in play even though the match is over...?

Huh?

So...not to go too far in to Cornette territory, but what were we then supposed to believe would happen if the match would've ended on a flash OWA/Paradigm Shift at the, say, twelve minute mark? The ring would've still blown up after the fans had filed out of the building? Why on earth would there not be an "off" switch if the decision of the match has been rendered? 

If a wrestling ring blows up in Jacksonville and nobody was around to see it, did it really make a kaboom? Unless your story really is that Omega and Don Callis had a fun weekend playing around with explosives and were allowed to rig up...whatever that was with no safety features...it makes no sense from any angle.

My initial reaction was seriously that they were doing a parody of the "exploding ring" matches in Japan where the final pyro amounted to nothing. I am pretty much never the guy to get up in arms about "postmodern" pro-wrestling, but "underwhelming" doesn't cover half of it.

Wait...I think I solved their problem. Kenny and Callis cut a promo about how the ring explosion was intentionally bad to make a mockery of the "fact" that Moxley's entire career as a "hardcore wrestler" is a joke, and he had no business being in the same promotion as a wrestler the caliber of Omega. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2