DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I'm very pro AEW and even I felt like tonight had more bad than good.

-Pre show match started the trend of matches that wen way too fucking long. A pre show match is supposed to be a warm up. Not 22 minutes long. Glad to see Itoh but someone teach her how to kick out properly. Raising your hand slightly aint it.

-Bucks vs Jericho / MJF was better than I expected, and one of Jericho's better matches lately. Didn't quite line up to the angle, but the work was very good.

-Tag battle royal was pretty much a waste, except for that fire final 4. Get Jungleboy out on his own. I want more Jungleboy vs Fenix.

-Women just did not click for me. The work was fine-ish just uninteresting. As was the post match just to be able to promote a 6man for wednesday.

-Miro looked good. Match was mostly a waste of time.

-Hardy vs Hangman was so long. And mostly boring. I love hangman. I think Matt is super creative and a major asset. But not as a straight up wrestler. The finish was very slick tho.

-Ladder match was one of the most boring ladder matches of all time. I like everyone in the match. But just did not feel any energy from anyone. Cody is legit hurt. I get it. But him hovering in the entrance way for 10 minutes was just not well done. Scorpio vs Darby should be good. Ethan Page is solid, but he did not get a very warm reception. I also think booking him in a ladder match like he's a spot guy (he's not) was not booking towards his positives.

-Weird that Christian has his TNA music. I know who it was the second his music kicked in. I was 2 for 2 with my guesses. I love Christian so I am good with this. Twitter fans hyped this up way too much and noting was going to live up to it. Although walking out, signing paper, showing your new merch was very anti climatic. But man if I get a Christian vs Fenix match all will be forgiven.

-I loved the cinematic match. It's my favorite one of them all, and my match of the night. Loved the style of it. Loved everything about it except the commentary over it. Would have played better without it.

-The main was very well done until the ending. And I mean the ending was well done, just such a letdown with that weak pyro. I have to imagine something more was planned. There's no way they tested that out and said yeah man that looks great the audience will love it. Why build 3 "triple hells" if you're only going to use one tho? The rope explosions looked good, and the match built well. But that PPV ending. Nooottttt very stronggg.....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nate said:

I hope this isn't "Fingerpoke of Doom" levels of bad for the company.

The fingerpoke was bad but WCW died because of an overwhelming amount of booking errors.  This wasn't even a booking error,  just an unfortunate malfunction.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Understatement. Switch bad with a better fitting word like dreadful or terrible. Bad doesn't do it justice.

Goddamn, the propaganda levels here are off the charts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

There’s definitley a way they can write themselves out of this and move forward, but they can never show any of the televised post-match EVER again.  Its going to be a meme forever, but fans can be forgiving if the new story is good.  But whatever they come up with will almost certainly not be as powerful as this ending with a proper big explosion could’ve been.

I’m really kinda fucking depressed about the ending.  I really liked the match and the idea of what the angle was supposed to be and what it could do for Eddie moving forward...

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe it needed to be a cinematic match to get the proper type of ending and make it look not like garbage. I dunno. That's why I don't like these extreme gimmick matches. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Guest Edwin

Kingston is still selling in the footage where Mox puts down Omega's bad explosives in the post match, so it only makes King look like more of a buffoon. Also, not sure what the fans were expecting? You aired clips of Onita's past matches and had him on. Best thing was not to do it if that's what you could come up with. Now it would just be better to move on and ignore it instead of mentioning it on TV and trying to cover up.

The icing on the cake is that the last explosions create enough smoke that, if one were so inclined, you could at least suspend belief and imagine that they they got torched...but, of course, there was a huge gap in the smoke precisely where they were laying, so you can’t even pretend that any of it touched them.

3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Kingston is still selling in the footage where Mox puts down Omega's bad explosives in the post match, so it only makes King look like more of a buffoon. Also, not sure what the fans were expecting? You aired clips of Onita's past matches and had him on. Best thing was not to do it if that's what you could come up with. Now it would just be better to move on and ignore it instead of mentioning it on TV and trying to cover up.

Kevin Kelly: "You see, my wife loves Katie Vick!"

Sad that the ending will be all that's really remembered from the show but I thought the rest of it was mostly good.

Loved the Maki Itoh surprise on the preshow, her entrance was the absolute best and it turned out to be a really good match with those four.

Thought Bucks v. Jericho/MJF was very good with some great spots. Liked the Codebreaker counter of Nick's springboard and the Bucks double Superkick to Jericho mid-Lionsault was wild.  Tag battle royal was kinda just there and predictable, by the end I was rooting for Jungle Boy to pull it off. Was there ever a reason stated as to why FTR were not included?

Thought Shida/Mizunami ended up very good. The ending wasn't in much doubt but they had a few good near falls anyways. Did find it a little odd that Britt and Nyla were suddenly friends in the post-match. Miro looked good. Hangman/Hardy ended up really good with a great finish. Ladder match was nothing special and I feel Scorpio Sky was the guy with the least momentum in there to win it. I was rooting for Cody or Lance but knew neither was winning so I figured Page would win based off past history with Darby but I guess they just did that last year with Cage as the surprise winning a ladder match.

Cinematic street fight was loads of fun, great stuff for it's style. Felt the main event was a really good old school style blood brawl for the majority of it. The one Triple Hell bump did look properly brutal. Liked the intention of the Kingston ending, very Onita/Funk without the blast. I almost wish they could be "just a television show" and play edited footage on Dynamite to make it seem like there was a massive explosion, if that was intended to write off Moxley.

Love to see the return of "The Instant Classic" Christian Cage. Great big time signing coming off his surprise Rumble performance and surprised he'd leave so soon after that. Popped hearing his old TNA theme. His run there is one of my all time favorites. After being retired for 7 years, I very much look forward to seeing him back in the ring with this roster.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 6

I was good with most of the show, though admit that the ladder match fell flat (AEW had an awesome one at first All Out with Lucha Brothers and Young Bucks, but no luck with them since). Definitely time for Cody to take a few months off to heal and do the parenting stuff, and then return as a heel as the crowd turned on him tonight. Loved the street fight, and unlike ladder matches, AEW has nailed all of these cinematic matches so far. Very happy with Christian signing, as I've always been a huge fan and think that he'll still be able to go. Do not mind some color when warranted, but otherwise not huge on the crazy death match front (though Coach Tony must have been a fan, as it's definitely featured in AEW, though not as much as the beginning of the company). The ending angle would have worked a lot better if Eddie Kingston had turned off the alarm for the ring exploding, as they had successfully sold the danger of it (though that would have disappointed some fans). Outside of Blood and Guts (which can tell great stories in its own right), good with non-crazy gimmick main events for a minute. 

• Like 1

Given the pyro from the turnbuckles I’m pretty sure that ending was intentional. As this is pro-wrestling I’m not surprised this was someone’s idea, what surprises me is that they somehow didn’t suspect every man and his dog shitting all over it. I mean seriously, how does that not drive punters away?

Hmmm, I am so sad right now. There was a lot of excellent stuff, some good stuff, some bad stuff, and a life altering dogshit ending. So sad.

Opener had some clunk but turned it on in the last 5 minutes or so to a really high level. Battle royal was really fun but it too had some hilarious moments like Uno running into the post after rushing that silly spot with Marko (can that fucker stop interfering in matches as a babyface. so bad). Uno's gotta be relieved that his silliness was soon forgotten. But the last 5 or 6 of the battle royal was tremendous and it felt like we were watching real stars to be shine and prove their greatness. Pac vs. Silver and Jungle Boy vs. Fenix. Give me both of those. Both of them!

Women's match was pretty standard big match Shida. She's talked about how nervous she gets and I think that plays into her forgetting spots. She looked lost multiple times throughout the match but once it turned into a Kensuke/Kawada bomb striking fest it got pretty damn good. Shida retaining is wrong. She's got strengths but her brain goes to jelly way too often in matches and it's time to move on. I don't think Britt is quite ready so Ryo being a transitional champ stretching it out for 3-5 months would've been nice but I guess not.

Miro looked phenomenal. That's pretty much it. I'm glad this match didn't try to get too epic as there was enough of that on the card. This is the Miro we all wanted to see. So snug. And speaking of, Hangman Adam is a fantastic wrestler. He just had Matt Hardy's best straight up singles match I can remember seeing. Smart, solid shit and they both busted their asses. Hardy moves like Warwick Davis, but even then he did more than just keep up. Miro vs. Hangman would be stiff and needs to happen.

Ladder match sucked and was a mess. Fucking bad and I don't want to see another one for a long time. Cody can suck it and they're going to belt Sky on Wednesday. He's good but good isn't enough in a company with as many talented people as this. Ugh. I hope I'm wrong again.

Street fight was very fun/neat but I guess I was expecting more of the glass breaking type of gnarly bumps. Sting hitting that Manami Roll of sorts was so great. He looked good bumping and moving in the bit he did.

Thought the main event and effort from both was on its way to making the match a classic but the landmines were dog shit. I had no problem with the ring ropes. The ring rope explosions were okay. Disappointing but I could've lived with it. The OWA "rope break" was fucking brilliant. But man, the ending I didn't like. Kingston making the save made up for it. But then that fart of a fucking explosion when Cody has 10x better pyro. Legitimately awful. This and the Matt Hardy concussion are just really hard pills to swallow and I'm definitely not an automatic PPV buyer moving forward. Just killed the whole damn thing. I was really happy with the show despite the two bad matches up until that. Fuck. Forever sad. If you can't deliver what we expect, don't fucking sell it to us on a PPV. Jesus fucking Christ that was pathetic. 

Christian will serve a purpose but it was always going to be a disappointment if not Brock or Punk (who wasn't going to happen). These overhype jobs are so bad. Stop doing that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Eh, there wasn't much flow to it. Felt really disjointed and there was a lot of mechanical issues of guys not being in place or struggling. Archer got over for sure but I thought that was about it. Caster's rap was the best part of the whole fucking thing. That Cuomo line was perfect. Cody being much too cute with a literal brass ring too. Fuck off.