DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I'm okay with another championship or two in AEW, but can we not do belts? I'm dying for a promotion to try literally anything else as the horcrux for their champion. A ring, a medallion, a trophy, maybe a bejeweled crown or bracelet for the ladies. Shit, anything. I remember Col. Parker offering up a fishbowl full of silver dollars for a while for anyone who could beat Arn Anderson and thinking it was the dopest shit ever. I'd love to see the business as a whole get away from belts as the only champion indicator.

19 minutes ago, just drew said:

I'm dying for a promotion to try literally anything else as the horcrux for their champion. A ring, a medallion, a trophy, maybe a bejeweled crown or bracelet for the ladies.

AEW literally already has a ring (Dynamite Diamond Ring) that they do once a year for a battle royal that has on again and off again been defended by MJF who has won it both years so far / wears it every appearance, and medallions were the award for winning the Women's Tag Tournament. I don't think they've been defended, but Diamonte & Ivelese wear them every time they are on the show. I want to say they did a trophy already too, but I'm not 100% on that one. Give it time Coach TK's gonna see these posts and make it all happen, just for you lol.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

AEW literally already has a ring (Dynamite Diamond Ring) that they do once a year for a battle royal that has on again and off again been defended by MJF who has won it both years so far / wears it every appearance, and medallions were the award for winning the Women's Tag Tournament. I don't think they've been defended, but Diamonte & Ivelese wear them every time they are on the show. I want to say they did a trophy already too, but I'm not 100% on that one. Give it time Coach TK's gonna see these posts and make it all happen, just for you lol.

He fucking better.

• Haha 4

Regarding championships, I stand with Minoru Suzuki:

Suzuki: So what should we do with these titles? Why is the US title called that? Why Intercontinental? They’re distinctions, right? So distinguish. Let’s all understand where we’re at. The IWGP Heavyweight Championship is the number one belt for everyone. Intercontinental, that should only be between wrestlers from different continents. Japanese guy versus a European guy. America vs Australia. Whatever. US, only defend it in America. NEVER, just heavyweights versus juniors. That gives us some clear distinctions.

I never liked the idea of secondary titles that are secondary just because. Even as a kid, I would think "what exactly does the WWF European championship have to do with Europe?"

Also--and I realize this is easy for me to say when I've never had to book a wrestling promotion--I think it's a bad sign if you need to introduce new titles to have feuds that feel like they're going somewhere.

• Like 8

On 2/21/2021 at 12:46 PM, Matt D said:

I’d say yes and no. It might have been the beginning of the end to Moxley but it’s obvious from his exit interviews how into his act Vince was. Obviously that was detrimental to the actual quality of Ambrose’s late heel run, but anyone who Vince cares that much about (probably 5% of wrestlers over the last two decades), is going to be heavily featured and highlighted.

I had the same take away from his post-WWE podcasts: 1) Vince absolutely saw him as a top guy who could pull off the over the top comedy stuff like Austin attacking Vince in the hospital, the zamboni, the 3:16 gun, or any of the silly stuff the Rock did, or Angle with the milk truck, etc... and 2) Mox had absolutely zero interest in being that guy.

36 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Regarding championships, I stand with Minoru Suzuki:

I never liked the idea of secondary titles that are secondary just because. Even as a kid, I would think "what exactly does the WWF European championship have to do with Europe?"

You clearly weren't paying enough attention to D-Lo Brown's ring introductions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Also--and I realize this is easy for me to say when I've never had to book a wrestling promotion--I think it's a bad sign if you need to introduce new titles to have feuds that feel like they're going somewhere.

Personally I like the realism of guys going for titles, or prestige or money because of the realism of it. As a fan I prefer that to fighting over shampoo or what ever. I've always felt that mid-card titles are kinda like when a MMA fighter wins a belt in a smaller promotion before going to the UFC. it means your on the way up just in wrestling its in the same promotion 

• Like 1

Yes there's a reason why every professional sport rivalry in the world (from combatant sports through to team sports) is at its absolute zenith emotionally & commercially when fought over a belt/championship. I'm pretty aligned w/ zendragon on that one.

• Like 1

I hope everyone who dislikes how Marko and Riho work never watches any Progress. Because there's this guy called Paul Robinson they used all the time, who is 130 lbs and was always booked as a shoot tough brawler guy.

What is the problem with Riho's size?  Nobody complained when Orange Cassidy was beating Jericho and the weight difference was greater there than, say, Riho vs Baker or whatever.  Especially when they wrestled after Jericho got back from Sturgis and looked to be cosplaying 1976 Elvis.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Marko's a delight, he compliments his partners so well. That group would be my ideal first trios champs. I wish they did six-mans on Dynamite a little more often.

I hope he pins Tully. 

I don't want to spite people on here since I get why some don't like him.  But I would love to see Marko pin Tully just to see how much Cornette goes off the rails.  He might lose it so much that he ends up cancelling himself from the show.  Oh, a man can dream.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 2/24/2021 at 1:20 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't want to spite people on here since I get why some don't like him.  But I would love to see Marko pin Tully just to see how much Cornette goes off the rails.  He might lose it so much that he ends up cancelling himself from the show.  Oh, a man can dream.

I believe he said if Tully bumps for Marko he'll erase every good memory and lose all respect for a guy he's known for almost 40 years. Because Jim is an emotionally healthy adult?

God if he would just talk about old wrestling forever, his podcast would be the greatest thing. Him telling Butch Reed stories a couple weeks ago was so much fun.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, zendragon said:

Personally I like the realism of guys going for titles, or prestige or money because of the realism of it. As a fan I prefer that to fighting over shampoo or what ever.

I agree. Right there you mentioned two things other than titles for wrestlers to be motivated by or feud over--money and prestige. For me the ideal is one title for each division being everyone's ultimate goal, with non-title feuds/rivalries over some combination of personal beefs and the prospect of advancement up the ladder toward the championsip.

If a promotion finds itself in need of a midcard title, that tells me that they're not doing a good enough job conveying to the audience what the competitive hierarchy is and how individual matches and rivalries fit into it.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I believe he said if Tully bumps for Marko he'll erase every good memory and lose all respect for a guy he's known for almost 40 years. Because Jim is an emotionally healthy adult?

God if he would just take about old wrestling forever, his podcast would be the greatest thing. Him taking Butch Reed stories a couple weeks ago was so much fun.

I watched Night of Legends last Saturday. Jim had an almost brain dead Terry Gordy who had to re learn how to walk, talk, etc. (and that's Jim's words in the Wrestling Gold commentary he did w/ Meltzer) go in and have a ten minute, 50/50 wrestling match with Dirty White Boy for his promotion's heavyweight title. 

And it's funny cause one of the last things I remember hearing from him was going through that show with Last. Now that shit was intriguing because it's weird for him to watch his OWN product and just about everything he watches he wishes he could have made changes to. I think a small part of Cornette watching either NXT or AEW makes him kinda realize his own shortcomings as a promoter (he doesn't want them to make the same mistakes he did, I dunno). He realizes that Night of Legends was his magnum opus, but it's not as respected as some of these "play wrestling" events. That fucking burns him to the core.

• Like 1

But it's sadly not a no rope version, right? Kenny said the barbed wire would be wrapped around the ropes, correct? 

And if it's not no ropes, they'd be unable to do the traditional double hell deal with two sides having no ropes and no barbed wire. I'm interested to see what they go with. 

Edited by Jiji

I thought that maybe Kenny was reconstructing the barbed wire bed/web.

Oh shit. What if he's rebuilding that, but as a bomb too.

Man, I cannot wait for this match.

Anyway, Dynamite was fucking great. I was moving furniture from floor to another and then another floor to the basement and other bullshit to make way for new furniture, so I didn't watch this until later on. Maybe it was because I was totally drained from moving furniture and I just needed to chill watching anything, but Dynamite sure hit the spot. So I'm trying to think of what stood out...

I was bummed Britt lost, but I also get it at the same time. Not really a bad booking decision. Some people have to lose.

Hangman looked fucking awesome. You know who else looked awesome? Isaiah. Those guys tore it up and had me thinking that Isaiah might actually beat Page. Page ending it with the Dead Eye was a nice touch.

Speaking of dudes looking great, Brandon Cutler looked pretty fucking good and had a fun little squash-ish match with Hager. Props to both of those guys. I remember not liking the Hager signing at first, but he has never not brought it in the ring or acting a big, dumb, goof on promos. I may not like his politics, but he's pretty good.

I both thought the Bucks angle was ridiculous and great. Papa Buck, while being a piece of shit for reasons we don't need to go into further here, looked so silly with what looked like ketchup smeared across his head. At the same time, he took some decent bumps.

That main event. Holy shit. I don't know why you guys are hating on the Spanish Fly spot. That was fucking incredible. What a fucking match.

• Like 2

I really don't care to find out but I guess I'm glad I don't know the full story for why Papa Buck is a piece of shit.  I have my assumptions though.  At least with the Bucks if any of that rubbed off on them they hide it well enough considering I don't follow their Twitter.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 2:52 AM, just drew said:

I'm okay with another championship or two in AEW, but can we not do belts? I'm dying for a promotion to try literally anything else as the horcrux for their champion. A ring, a medallion, a trophy, maybe a bejeweled crown or bracelet for the ladies. Shit, anything. I remember Col. Parker offering up a fishbowl full of silver dollars for a while for anyone who could beat Arn Anderson and thinking it was the dopest shit ever. I'd love to see the business as a whole get away from belts as the only champion indicator.

People may be forgetting that PROGRESS tried this with the tag shields and the infamous 'Nazi Staff':

Progress-Staff.jpeg

Progress-Chapter-twelve-700x700.jpg

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1