DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-Evolution II - 3/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Moxley has been doing some media these pasts few days.  He really caught my ear when he went about how:

•He pitched violent stuff in WWE got shut down.  So he felt like he over promised in selling those matches.

•He says that doing an exploding death ka boom wasn’t his idea and don’t put him in a position where afterwards it’s all “he went too far”.  Because he will.  “Put the kids to bed.”

In a backhanded way Moxley is pretty much promising to “go too far”.  Omega will be down for whatever.  

So after the show... how much of a shitstorm can be we expect?

• Like 2

Re: Eddie
Kingston's role of a sorta gatekeeper is just fine.  So to Butcher and the Blade.  AEW has done a nice job establishing some positions in the hierarchy.  As you go down the line I think Chaos Project has really found a place as well.  As a testament to Eddie Kingston's powers I'm always happy to see him no matter how many times he drops the fall.  The characters's game plan seems to be to make money and hurt people.  

Re: More belts
AEW has also done a great job of establishing their belts and making them matter.  I've always found more than the essential titles to be a problem.  I see no reason for a Trios title as I don't see how that title would really benefit the holder more than it would just be another set of titles.  All this said, the FTW title has been one of their poorer decisions - tho, it's a total after thought and more of, truly, a prop.  

Re: Ladder Match.
I can't think of a single AEW Multi-man (not including tags) gimmick match that has worked.  The last Multi-man Ladder Match was a complete mess with incredibly stupid spots.  Not to mention Cage looking like a weenie debuting by tearing a gimmicked ladder in half.  And then being buried and sleeping for 10 minutes before re-emerging.  Just plain stoopid!  And the worst part is how close they've come to mindlessly injuring guys in these crap matches.  

Re: The PPV
Looking forward to this PPV  I would've rather seen Mox-Omega straight up wrestle, but I'm confident these two will put together a real barnburner. 

Since winning the titles, the Bucks have led everybody they've faced to an exciting contest.  Even though I have very little interest in the MJF-Jericho team/storyline I assume the Bucks will figure out how to make this work.  

And this is the most interested I've been for a cinematic match.  Not exactly sure why?  The road to has been mild hits (the promos from a couple weeks back) and a lot of misses (most all things Sting), but I think this might be good.  I expect something far less goofy than we've seen prior.  I'm hoping for more Besties-LAX with camera trickery than the goofy Stampede or anything Hardy.  Speaking of which, also excited to see if Page can carry Hardy to a good match and decisive victory.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
The
  • Like 2

i think the Lesnar match was the beginning of the end for Moxley in WWE.  it showed that WWE wasn't serious about doing anything interesting with his character and that the part timers will always call the shots.  

my one gripe with this card is the tag title match.  i get they are telling a story with Jericho and MJF.. fine.  There are several deserving teams though and this match will likely be very average.  

Happy birthday @The Natural!

• Like 2

I feel like Lesnar was uninterested around that time because he was a pending free agent or about to start a training camp for a fight iirc (he did fight Mark Hunt that summer). There was no way in hell he was taking dangerous bumps before that because he is first and foremost business oriented. That Mania was particularly horrendous and one of their last shows I watched.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i think the Lesnar match was the beginning of the end for Moxley in WWE.  it showed that WWE wasn't serious about doing anything interesting with his character and that the part timers will always call the shots.  

Happy birthday @The Natural

I’d say yes and no. It might have been the beginning of the end to Moxley but it’s obvious from his exit interviews how into his act Vince was. Obviously that was detrimental to the actual quality of Ambrose’s late heel run, but anyone who Vince cares that much about (probably 5% of wrestlers over the last two decades), is going to be heavily featured and highlighted.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I'm not really excited about the exploding barbed wire death match but would laugh my arse off if Mox appears kitted out like 90s Funk and Omega like Onita. 

I can't remember if it was on Talk Is Jericho or the Wade Keller interview, but Moxley went into pretty deep detail about the Lesnar match and what not. I only vaguely remember what he said now, but it was definitely one his major frustrations.

I'd be curious to hear what kind of stuff Mox was pitching to Vince.

To be honest, I think the company was right to reject Mox's pitches.  I dunno exactly what he was pitching, but Moxley obviously still wants to do deathmatches and seems willing to sacrifice himself to put over a beating or spot.  The dude doesn't seem to want to reign it in and WWE is very much not the right environment to do that sort of thing in.  I don't think you can do deathmatches - or even anything extremely graphic - when you have the sort of profile Vince does.  There's too much media attention, too many sponsors to think of, Moxley wrestling a deathmatch in a WWE ring or getting a 9.5 on the Muta (bloodletting) scale would attract a lot of attention that Vince doesn't want.

I do wish WWE would use blood once in a while to sell angles, but, by the same token, I suspect that if you gave Mox permission to bleed in a match, he'd go way out of bounds and do a Carrie impression.

I dunno how I feel about AEW veering into the direction of deathmatches and exploding barb wire piranha on a weed whacker matches or whatever Mox and Omega have planned for the PPV.  I'm not really in favor of it and have no desire to watch an honest-to-god deathmatch in an AEW ring.  On the other hand, I'd watch Moxley/Omega in any environment and am sort of intrigued that they're going to do a exploding barb wire match on US soil.  There's a sort of "forbidden door" aspect to seeing how far they take this and if Tony Khan is really going to let this happen or if it's a fake out.  Although i dunno that you can do a bait and switch now without angering the fanbase.

• Like 2

I certainly don't want AEW doing this kind of stuff regularly, but doing it as the (presumed) feud end for two guys that have been feuding off and on since literally the beginning of the promotion, and the keep getting more heat on each other... I think it's okay.

I'm more curious if they are just going to go pure freak show or if they are going to try to have a good match around the barbwire and explosions.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They've already told Dave it's going to be a '93 FMW style set-up, so expect a lot of that kind of psychology too. It's going to be great. A blast even, ugh.

Those guys are both explosive athletes. so as long as they don't get too blown up the match should be the bomb. I'm expecting to be blown away. 

If nothing else, it should blow up on Twitter.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It's going to be great. A blast even, ugh.

20 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Those guys are both explosive athletes. so as long as they don't get too blown up the match should be the bomb. I'm expecting to be blown away. 

If nothing else, it should blow up on Twitter.

Spoiler

UffBB01.gif?noredirect

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I'd be curious to hear what kind of stuff Mox was pitching to Vince.

Cutting the ring padding with a box cutter during his Rollins HIAC match, to expose the boards underneath. He said Vince told him the fans "wouldn't get it". Exactly one year later, Undertaker/Lesnar did it I'm pretty sure. I want to say Mox said that Triple H was in the room as well, and rolled his eyes when Vince said that.

• Like 1

Did you know that if you pick up a TV while it's switched on, and walk away from the wall so the socket comes out, it EXPLODES!?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, AxB said:

Did you know that if you pick up a TV while it's switched on, and walk away from the wall so the socket comes out, it EXPLODES!?!?

This was one of the times I was the maddest at a WWE finish and definitely one of the straws that broke the camel's back in terms of me ending it with them.

I am thrilled for Mox's creative mind, but genuinely kind of worried for both dudes in this one. It's kind of crazy this is happening in a promotion with this kind of reach. But on the other side, it's an EVP of the company vs. the unquestionable top star of the company under 50, so what can I really say?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I suspect that's untrue, but am unwilling to test in case you're right. So you win this round, AxB.

• Haha 3

if this was a couple midcarders i'd say nah but they have the perfect pairing with Moxley and Omega.  There's no two guys i'd rather have in this match than them. 

i think they will attempt to have a 'good match'  around the barbed wire.  Omega usually has a wrestling match to go along with a street fight. 

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

my one gripe with this card is the tag title match.  i get they are telling a story with Jericho and MJF.. fine.  There are several deserving teams though and this match will likely be very average.  

Happy birthday @The Natural!

Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT!

On 2/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, Jiji said:

I see it going Hangman -> MJF -> Jungle Boy. Jungle Boy finally beating MJF and it's for the gold is too good of a story to miss out and they can't hold off on MJF for too long and that'll probably take 2 years to get to. Kingston is 39. If I were to guess, it doesn't look great for the world title but I can definitely see the TNT belt on him.

I agree with this but I would have MJF loss to Sammy. Maybe MJF could be a Ric Flair type of champion where he loses to a sympathetic baby face Eddie Kingston, but wins the title back loses to Sammy wins it back ect