DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Shida in particular as she so often goes missing for stretches despite being champ.

I'll throw the clock up for anyone who's wondering: Hasn't wrestled since January 6th. Last match prior to that was December 17th. 

I would of course be generous and leave some room in there if COVID is a factor.

She also had to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Japan before producing those matches. I've mentioned that could explain why no big programs but they could have had her do some squashes and maybe a competitive one off like the Anna Jay match. That completely overdelivered, highlighting Shida's evolution as a character, Anna's rapid growth, and protected Anna Jay with the shenanigans. They're completely capable of doing effective stuff on TV with the division but it does seem like an afterthought most of the time. Sometimes it's down to poor execution but not deserving of this kind of negligence. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jiji said:

She also had to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Japan before producing those matches. I've mentioned that could explain why no big programs but they could have had her do some squashes and maybe a competitive one off like the Anna Jay match. That completely overdelivered, highlighting Shida's evolution as a character, Anna's rapid growth, and protected Anna Jay with the shenanigans. They're completely capable of doing effective stuff on TV with the division but it does seem like an afterthought most of the time. Sometimes it's down to poor execution but not deserving of this kind of negligence. 

I think the division would benefit from the addition of one hour show that is a couple steps up from Dark. Think a one hour syndicated show in the vain of Superstars/Challenge pre-Raw. You can do storyline advancement and focus on things you typically wouldn't focus on during Dynamite. As is, I think what's going to get sacrificed is the growth of the women's division and sort of the continuity/cohesion of midcard storylines. The roster is a bit too large for just a two hour show and Dark, and (on Dynamite) they only get to about four or five (if that) key programs before it gets jumbled up. If you're going to do gender reveals, skits, and miscellaneous wrestling garnish (vignettes, pull aparts, backstage attacks/kidnappings, etc.), you have to do another televised show. It's either that or just completely cut most of that stuff out. It's gotten to where the latter isn't even an option anymore so the former is pretty much vital. 

• Like 2

Riho is a fantastic wrestler, and you know who else is? Sasha Banks. Yes, I invoked her name. Both fantastic, but my only one negative would be that they both need to wrestle more like their weight class. Agility, technical wrestling, total David vs Goliath stuff. Basically wrestle like Rey. Because going strike for strike with some of the bigger ladies does not look realistic. 

But really this is nitpicking, they're both very good and I enjoyed Riho/Deeb a lot, definitely MOTN.

• Like 1

In a D&D Discord I'm in, some people wer etalking about Red Velvet cake, so I posted some gifs of the wrestler Red Velvet. And all the women in there were jealous of her good looks and co-ordination. Most of the lads were just horny.

Then I posted some pics of Jade Cargill and everyone was shocked that any human being could ever be in that good of a shape.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:50 AM, El Gran Gordi said:

I hate to be the one to break it to you, brother, but AEW is *not* Mixed Martial Arts. 

AEW is, if I understand correctly, a mix of weightlifting and basketball.

Oh you magnificent bastard.  Tremendous.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:53 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe Jade could use Riho as a makeshift dumbbell for her bicep curls. Would make for a hell of a visual.

Hey, don't steal Brian Cage's spots.

Whoever called out Riho's gear, I agree.  It looks like she's wearing bloomers.  And oversized bloomers, at that. 

They should have held off on the gender reveal until the match.  Jade and Velvet are fighting on the floor while Shaq is getting the better of Cody in the ring.  Suddenly, pink pyro so big the Perseverance rover can see it goes off.  Brandi drives into the arena in Cody's big dumb pickup truck, now painted pink.  In the flatbed is No Doubt, reuinting for a sweet payday.  They launch into a raucous rendition of "Just a Girl."  Shaq is distracted, staring at the spectacle and making his Mr. Ferley face again.  Cody schoolboys Shaq for the pin.  Bell rings.  Everyone hugs.  Cody announces Shaq will be the godfather to Aurora Rose Runnels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:47 AM, Jiji said:

I guess the question is why Shida had to go to Japan at all. If it's to sit ringside for the Eliminator Tournament, I think its fair to ask if the value preposition was worth it to lose your champion for a month.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've definitely come around on Riho - when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Happy to be wrong on this one, in fact.

I did something I barely ever do -- I went back and rewatched the Deeb match again, and I'm happy to dig into a slice of that crow pie along with Zakk here. At least for now anyway; we still need to see more matches with her and the rest of the roster. Or at least I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wrestling would be so much better in 2021 if more indie guys now in the big leagues idolized Bret instead of HBK. You can pretty much immediately tell which guy a wrestler grew up preferring (yes, I understand it's possible to enjoy both). 

For instance, I was watching a ChocoPro show and Baliyan Akki was reffing and he had to count his Best Bro partner, Mei, down for the 3. He did the HBK SummerSlam '97 reluctant count, lol. Dude grew up in India, that was supposed to be Bret country!

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I really really liked the Deeb-Riho match. I'm much more of a Bret than a Shawn guy as someone whos more into storytelling and psychology that MOVEZ and spots. Having said that its all ways going to be a bit of an uphill battle making Riho's offence believable because she's so small. but I don't this she's so small that she can't be believable against the other women. (I really like that Riho - Nyla match because of the story it told. Sports team gets up to a big lead, takes its foot off the gas and blows it)

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Shawn has a tonne of matches that I really like/love but if it was a choice between them to watch a newly unearthed match I'd pick Bret every time. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

I should say I like some of Shawn's stuff but I LOVE Bret Hart. IMHO Bret was in the two best matches in WWE history: 

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania 13. *****.

2. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. WrestleMania X. *****.

Such a shame the concussion from Goldberg and the stroke stopped Bret having a true return to the ring. Bret Hart vs. Daniel Bryan is my biggest dream match ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 12:04 AM, Casey said:

I guess I have no idea about what makes wrestling wrestling, or whatever, because I don't see really anything all that great in Riho. She's a really good wrestler, yeah, but if you have a problem with Marko Stunt going up against people bigger or whatever the issue people has with Marko, then you should have the same problem when Riho faces Nyla Rose or (god forbid) an eventual Riho vs Jade Cargill match. It doesn't bother me personally - I think she's a perfectly fine wrestler, and I don't mind it if she gets in heavy offense against someone bigger, because this is all fake anyway at the end of the day, but the Marko/Riho thing seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Shida/Riho will be a good match, but I'm going to be real disappointed if this mess of a tournament is all done just to either A) give Riho another title reign or B) have Shida retain, again. It's long past time to give Britt Baker the title, IMO. And unless Riho is moving to America like Shida did, and she'll be there every week, having an absent champion during a global pandemic isn't the right choice, especially with quarantine rules being what they are in various countries.

And I say mess of a tournament because it went from being fairly straight forward (US side on Dynamite, Japan side on YouTube) to now being the semifinal matches are on Bleacher Report's website, some of the quarter final US matches are lumped in with the Japan YouTube show, and they have two weeks to do all of this.

(If Riho wins, I hope Kris Statlander returns the next week and immediately beats her and sends her back to Stardom or wherever the fuck and we replace her with Ryo Mizunami)

There's a huge different between Riho's size difference and build, and Marco's.

Riho is more like the Rey Mysterio size wise of women.  Marco is outright a mini who should be martineted by Vampiro.  Riho also is a lot better wrestler.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, The Natural said:

Note, no Anna Jay. Jay hasn't forgiven the Hangman yet.

That or depending when Anna Jay's injury was. It was announced yesterday she's dislocated her shoulder requiring surgery and will be out for 6-12 months. Gutted for 99 wrecking it as bad as she has. Get well soon xxx.

Look Lee Johson needed Cody in that tag match to get his first win against Avalon and Caesar to make the ending a forgone conclusion and reduce the possible drama in the match to zero.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Add to the "this angle is a ridiculous, snakebit trainwreck," Cody is apparently injured and will be working this mixed tag with a bum shoulder.  At this rate, maybe they should just play H-O-R-S-E or something.  Perhaps a trivia contest or game of Scrabble.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater style!

Rock, paper, scissors is my other suggestion. Just keep Sid away.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Cody possibly having a partially torn rotator cuff sounds...really bad.

I like Cody a lot, but...hey...dude...have you learned nothing from others who tried putting too much muscle on a frame not designed for that much muscle? Anyway, my prediction for Cody was wrong. With how much muscle he's been trying to put on, I figured he'd wind up with a torn bicep or tricep.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Cody possibly having a partially torn rotator cuff sounds...really bad.

I like Cody a lot, but...hey...dude...have you learned nothing from others who tried putting too much muscle on a frame not designed for that much muscle? Anyway, my prediction for Cody was wrong. With how much muscle he's been trying to put on, I figured he'd wind up with a torn bicep or tricep.

I just don't get it.  He's one of the EVPs of the company, there's nobody pressuring him to get jacked.  What's the deal?  Makes no sense.  Maybe he's trying to get all fucking swoll to make Vince notice him and get jealous, like when divorced dad casually runs into the ex while he's with his new gf?