DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Just to pile on JR a little more...

At the end of the show, Mox headbutts Kenny and draws blood, and JR is blabbing about Omega’s boots. 

I thought this show was really solid in-ring. Orange/Luther was nothing, but they kept it short. 

Hangman and Dark Order is my absolute favourite storyline in AEW. Love that he referenced his friends who told him to always have a spare stack of papers in his jacket. I squealed with delight when Silver and Reynolds came out, and grinned ear to ear when - 1 ran out calling out the rest of the Dark Order. Just real joy making stuff for me! Looking forward to Hangman laying Matt out, but have to say Isaiah looked good (and properly heelish) in attacking Page. 

On the Page-Hardy match, we may get to see JR's vinegar strokes face during it since it is a "Big Money match". "MONEY! MONEY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! OH YEAH, THAT'S IT! ALMOST THERE NOW! HOLD IT TOGETHER JR! BAH GAWD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!!" 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The ending pin sequences in Riho/Serena was pretty great. This might be a show I need to watch this weekend, usually I just watch clips on Reddit/YouTube since I'm working every Wednesday now. Serena's powerbomb into a stretch muffler was sick, too.

• Like 1

Really good show!  No bad matches but the Hardy & Hangman vs TH2 bout was a little wonky in parts.

Did Excalibur drop a Method Man/Mary J. Blige reference when discussing the Hardy compound?  I swear I head him say that, on the compound, they could make war or make babies.

LOL these Jade and Shaq training videos are something else.  I have no doubt they can beat Cody and Red Velvet in this upcoming weightlifting competition and basketball game.  Oh, it's going to be a (checks papers)...wrestling match?  Hm.  Okay.

Exploding barbed wire deathmatch!  My god for one second I thought he was going to propose a buried alive match.

As mentioned, TH2 were pretty sloppy.  Good on the announcers for covering for them.  I liked Hangman's quick Brodie Lee reference, aying a smart guy he knew always told him to carry around extra papers in his jacket.  Kind of dumb to have him accept the stip when he had all the power, though.  This does point to something AEW doesn't do well.  They spring stips on us without adequate build.

Hey, Cody was good on commentary!  The gender reveal was pretty self indulgent but at least it didn't start a wildfire or anything.

Riho/Deeb was very good!  This is how you do 50/50 without asinine bullshit.  Two wrestlers portrayed as equals, and one gets the pin today. 

Bucks/PnP was amazing except for the finish, unless they're going somewhere with PnP fucking up on a mental lapse.  Maybe they decide to leave the Inner Circle as well since it's such a distraction?

Nakazawa continues his feud with the Sydals, apparently, as Mike skips off the ropes on a move.

I love AEW's Mortal Kombat style match graphics.

That six man main was great, as AEW continues to stay in its wheelhouse of consistently pumping out insane multiman matches.

So the "Face of AEW" match or whatever it's called is like Money in the Bank except for a TNT title shot?

Butcher's new gear sucks.  He looks like a cook on a pirate ship.  He looks like Mr. Pearson from RDR2.

So this is the second time Ross has mentioned how The BY GAWD COWBOY Bill Watts told him an athletic big man is someone you can build a promotion around.  One, this kind of kayfabe breaking commentary is so stupid.  Two, maybe don't be putting over the business acumen of a racist staunch advocate of a business' right to deny service to black people on TV in 2021.

The only issue I have with FTR working their Tully and Arn tribute act is that, in the 80s, Tully and Arn were considered small, so their cunning weasel act worked because they needed double teams and cheap stuff to beat their bigger opponents.  In 2021, FTR is usually bigger than their opponents, so it's just weird.

Glad Moxley actually got to say where his match with KENTA will be taking place unlike last week.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

Matt was so late breaking up the pinfall after the Street Sweeper, you could hear the crowd grumbling about it a little.  That was neat. You don’t hear many genuine reactions like that in the pandemic era.  Usually it’s just canned heat, wrestlers supporting each other, and fans who are just so happy to be there that they won’t turn on anything.

Nature is healing.

• Like 2

TH2 and Butcher & Blade both just seem constantly lost on tv.  I've seen both have good matches in other promotions, so maybe it's a live nationwide tv thing?  Both teams are just constantly hesitant and out of place.

On the other side of that, Santana and Ortiz are the exact opposite.  Those dudes are fucking pros.  They are exactly where they need to be and they hit even the most complicated stuff so clean.  I had no opinion on them when Dynamite started, but they've become two of my favorites.

• Like 5

I know there was a lot of enthusiasm for PNP winning the titles here, but unless the plan was for them to transition the belts to Jericho and MJF at the PPV (and I don’t think they’re getting belts), that didn’t really make a whole lot of sense.  PNP are terrific, but they are completely spent as a heel force.  Literally every babyface team of consequence has run through them, at this point.  A heel PNP run with the belts is going nowhere.

However, they’re very likely going to come out of the Inner Circle split as babyfaces, at which point you definitley can push them to the belts because there will be all kinds of fresh matchups for them on the other side.  And the match last night definitley seemed calibrated to remind the audience that they’re a really fun team that maybe you could cheer for, if they  weren’t such jerks all the time.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

Loving the Dark Order courting Hangman Adam Page, his reluctance to accept with what happened to him in the Elite and when he does joim the Dark Order fully, it's going to be so satisfying!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Really good show!  No bad matches but the Hardy & Hangman vs TH2 bout was a little wonky in parts.

Did Excalibur drop a Method Man/Mary J. Blige reference when discussing the Hardy compound?  I swear I head him say that, on the compound, they could make war or make babies.

LOL these Jade and Shaq training videos are something else.  I have no doubt they can beat Cody and Red Velvet in this upcoming weightlifting competition and basketball game.  Oh, it's going to be a (checks papers)...wrestling match?  Hm.  Okay.

Exploding barbed wire deathmatch!  My god for one second I thought he was going to propose a buried alive match.

As mentioned, TH2 were pretty sloppy.  Good on the announcers for covering for them.  I liked Hangman's quick Brodie Lee reference, aying a smart guy he knew always told him to carry around extra papers in his jacket.  Kind of dumb to have him accept the stip when he had all the power, though.  This does point to something AEW doesn't do well.  They spring stips on us without adequate build.

Hey, Cody was good on commentary!  The gender reveal was pretty self indulgent but at least it didn't start a wildfire or anything.

Riho/Deeb was very good!  This is how you do 50/50 without asinine bullshit.  Two wrestlers portrayed as equals, and one gets the pin today. 

Bucks/PnP was amazing except for the finish, unless they're going somewhere with PnP fucking up on a mental lapse.  Maybe they decide to leave the Inner Circle as well since it's such a distraction?

Nakazawa continues his feud with the Sydals, apparently, as Mike skips off the ropes on a move.

I love AEW's Mortal Kombat style match graphics.

That six man main was great, as AEW continues to stay in its wheelhouse of consistently pumping out insane multiman matches.

So the "Face of AEW" match or whatever it's called is like Money in the Bank except for a TNT title shot?

Butcher's new gear sucks.  He looks like a cook on a pirate ship.  He looks like Mr. Pearson from RDR2.

So this is the second time Ross has mentioned how The BY GAWD COWBOY Bill Watts told him an athletic big man is someone you can build a promotion around.  One, this kind of kayfabe breaking commentary is so stupid.  Two, maybe don't be putting over the business acumen of a racist staunch advocate of a business' right to deny service to black people on TV in 2021.

The only issue I have with FTR working their Tully and Arn tribute act is that, in the 80s, Tully and Arn were considered small, so their cunning weasel act worked because they needed double teams and cheap stuff to beat their bigger opponents.  In 2021, FTR is usually bigger than their opponents, so it's just weird.

Glad Moxley actually got to say where his match with KENTA will be taking place unlike last week.

I loved that line. Thanks for bringing it up.

• Like 1

I too was afraid we were gonna get a Casket Match or some other bullshit for a second there. And I didn't catch what JR was saying about the boots, but boy howdy... and that shirt, which made him look like the captain of the pirate ship Butcher was cooking on. He needs to always dress this ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I too was afraid we were gonna get a Casket Match or some other bullshit for a second there. And I didn't catch what JR was saying about the boots, but boy howdy... and that shirt, which made him look like the captain of the pirate ship Butcher was cooking on. He needs to always dress this ridiculous.

Duuuuuuuuuuude, I was also thinking they were going to say it would be a casket match or buried alive match.

• Like 1

BTW, how or why are people just now noticing Butcher's gear? He's had this for 2 or 3 months now I think. It's just a tribute to Hashimoto.

One last thing, I swear there was an episode Schiavone did for his Patreon where he reviewed THE king of the deathmatch show with the exploding barbed wire match. I almost want to see if that did happen to get an idea for what Schiavone's reaction is going to be at Revolution.

Now just watch, something stupid will happen and Tony won't be able to call that show.

The whole Hardy-Page segment was a mess of convoluted horse hockey. Page switches the contract and Matt doesn't notice but Issiah Kassidy is dressed up as the Jaguar Mascot so he can attack Page when he reveals the contract because... Matt was expecting Page to use the mascot to reveal that he bamboozled Matt when Matt didn't know he was being tricked? Like what in the wide, wide world of sports was going on? This was them trying to be clever when they could have just had Matt come out with Kassidy and gotten to the same place without a stupid swerve. Dark Order was the part that made sense even if Colt Cabana is beating guys with a super soaker.

Orange-Luther was the best we could have hoped for, short and decisive. Cassidy feels like such an afterthought after being so featured until the Miro feud.

Deeb-Riho was good even I don't like the result and Riho's selling was spotty. If Deeb's injury was legit and they wanted to rest her during the rest of the tournament, I guess that's okay. I'm going to be way out if they put Riho over Thunder Rosa and/or win her side of the tournament over... I assume Baker?

Bucks-PNP was the closest I've seen the Bucks work a normal structure tag match and ... they kind of suck at it?  Their shine was awkward and their heat segment led to a pretty cold tag. PNP has a tendency to go over Rube Goldbergian in their offense with tons of rolls this way and that. I really think theyd be better off working simpler and leaning into being viscous instead of trying to be fancy all the time. Inner Circle angle continues to be terrible. The Bucks part of the Omega angle continues to be terrible.

Sting angle progressed!  He did something! He took a bump and survived!

I guess there is a reason most people thought, "There's a Mike Sydal?"  when the match was announced. Just a guy. Match was fine despite the botch. Everything FTR does looks really good unless they have to open a medical bag. Run in was terrible. Luchasaurus getting another mask that looks just like the other one is not noteworthy at all. Just letting FTR escape would keep the heat on them for the blow off but JE left them laying and at their mercy. Marko Stunt is still the least likable thing on the show.

Archer looked super off tonight. It's funny to me that we got this match before we got Death Triangle against the Kingston Family when that seemed like the second most obvious match during that angle after having Pac go over on Eddie. Anyone who thinks they are ever going to put the World Title Strap on Kingston hasn't been paying attention to how they book him. Mox no selling his finish should clue you in. I thought Butcher's gear was a Gangs of New York reference since he's not wearing bell bottoms.

• Like 3

Riho was their ace pre-pandemic, and Rosa is a loaner from NWA, so you should probably prepare yourself for Riho to go over next week.

I feel like it’s Britt’s time to get the belt, now that there’s a decent roster of babyface women for her to defend against.  She probably cheats to beat Riho in the semis and set up a title defense down the line.

• Like 3

I always thought Shinya wore this...

Image result for shinya hashimoto

In my head cannon, Bill the Butcher from Gangs wore a sash and 3/4 pants but I couldn't find an image of the pants. I could be misremembering.