DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Bookmarking this for later because these types of matches always trigger and mystify Dave. It's also like the most anti-NJPW style match they could have. So yeah, I really do think he may be that much of a ding dong.

Dave flew to the Tokyo Dome just so he could boo and throw garbage at Onita during those death matches.

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

God, Sabu/Abyss was just incredible. Sabu doing air Sabu over the barbed wire blew my mind the first time I saw it. Abyss is a legend. And that one time Sabu and Terry tied themselves into knots in barbed wire (and Sabu had to tape his arm up so he didn't die, not bothering selling because I guess being alive > working). 

Sabu/Abyss really was. Now that's a barbed wire match. Best of them all was Terry Funk vs. Sabu at ECW Born to be Wired 1997. That was hard to watch with Sabu tearing his bicep open, taping it up with wrist tape and the match going home early as both were too entangled in the barbed wire and couldn't get out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What a dingdong. 

Sorry, i was joking. Green text! I GOTTA REMEMBER THE GREEN TEXT.

Edit; i guess that i have to clarify says everything about Dave Meltzer tho.

Edited by Jiji

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bookmarking this for later because these types of matches always trigger and mystify Dave. It's also like the most anti-NJPW style match they could have. So yeah, I really do think he may be that much of a ding dong.

Dave hated Moxley vs. Omega's Lights Out match at Full Gear 2019 yet still gave it ****1/2 which I found really funny.

So apparently Papa Buck is Steven Segal.

I'm still not a fan of either Serena or Riho, but different strokes for different folks.

They've got to be pulling the trigger on Hangman/Dark Order soon, the time is right!

Wife had never heard of a exploding barbwire deathmatch, she's in for a real treat (perhaps.) When she asked what it was, I just told her "it's literally what you say it is." I was thinking the same thing asked before - has one occurred outside of Japan?

I enjoyed the bit with Kenny at the school, liked the small touch of Nakazawa getting beat up by the kids at the end.

Edited by The Green Meanie

I don;t watch AEW outside the occasional women's match, but I saw something about exploding barbwire and my interest is suddenly peaked. Really curious how they are going to work that since Kenny and Moxley are less spectacle style workers than Onita.

F4online.com:

Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley will participate in a exploding barbed wire deathmatch for the AEW World title at AEW Revolution. 

At the end of tonight’s Dynamite, Kenny Omega and The Good Brothers attacked Moxley after he, Fenix, and Lance Archer defeated Eddie Kingston, The Butcher, and The Blade. Omega said that he would grant Moxley a rematch, but it would be contested in an exploding barbed wire heath match. Moxley responded by headbutting Omega, who then retaliated by laying out Moxley with two v-triggers.

Moxley and Omega have had two prior singles matches against one another. The first one dates back to AEW Full Gear back in November 2019, when Moxley defeated Omega. The second took place this past December, when Omega defeated Moxley to win the AEW World title on the December 2 edition of Dynamite.

Exploding barbed wire heath match!

Man, Team Taz must feel silly. For weeks they've been running from Sting, even when there's five of them, and then the one time they actually stood up to him, one of them pretty much fucked him up by himself.

I liked the double tap out finish in the tag match. Nice way to build up to that one, until all the heat went on a showdown between Chris Jericho and Terry Silver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really enjoyed the Page - Hardy angle and set up their PPV match. Was refreshing to see AEW pull off an angle like this in a few weeks rather than drag it out for 6 months. Hardy is a good name for Page to get a PPV win over, so that was all a thumbs up from me. Dark Order making the save was icing on the cake.

Deeb tried, but man Riho has not been missed. -1 has more credible looking offence than her.

Have to wonder if there's a reason they're doing the Shaq/Cargill tag on TV rather than PPV? Ditto for FTR/Tully vs JE. Both are much more PPV worthy than a random ladder spotfest

Sting took a powerbomb, how about that. Didn't make sense for Team Taz to run every week when there was 5 of them but call out Sting when it was only 3, but whatever. This feud needs to end at the PPV already.

Main event was good fun. Crazy how much better Fenix is when he's not tied to his brother.

Call me bananas but I am all in on Omega vs Moxley in an absurd gimmick deathmatch. Long live FMW.

Well Deeb and Riho tore the damn house down. Such a great match and one of those times a full capacity crowd is sorely missed. I know they would have been sucked in and molten for the home stretch just like the Nyla/Riho match near the start of the promotion. It's sad that Deeb was robbed of that after that performance.

I was most hyped for Santana and Ortiz vs the Bucks, having prayed for months for PnP to be featured at the top of the division. And they just get a generic Inner Circle faction entrance? Oh well, I'll be glad when the Inner Circle explodes and they come out of the background. I was thoroughly entertained by the match itself and biting on all the near-falls by the end, but alas the dream was not to be. 

They are really running with the 'Marvez is everywhere' bit. Kenny's wonky delivery does weirdly fit in the kid's classroom setting though.

The FTR match was just one tag too much. Nice that they got to perform in front of Dory though, that presumably meant a lot considering how much they revere tag team history.

As @El Gran Gordimentioned in the other thread I said my piece about Butcher's gear after seeing it on Dark a few weeks back - a curious and unflattering choice when the team's look is arguably its biggest strength. I did enjoy the happy-go-lucky babyface pseudo-improvised Archer/Fenix offence, like some movie odd couple. Mox and Kingston of course were gold on the mic beforehand. 

Less is more with Sting, but at least it was (for better or worse) eventful with some physicality this week. I vaguely recall in Mick Foley's first book he talks about his matches with Vader and the physics of the powerbomb, driving your head and neck down with maximum velocity, and I couldn't help thinking of that seeing Sting flung to the mat. (A side note - it's probably just me but there's something hilarious about taking a hoodie and cutting so much of it away that it's basically two scraps of material, front and back, but still keeping the hood and drawstrings attached. Maybe it's a gym rat fashion thing).

Great show overall.

Edit because I forgot to mention, enjoying the developments of Hangman and his continuing saga of suitors, this time with a Big Money Match with Big Money Matt. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, EVA said:

She basically worked that match like Bret Hart, and it was amazing.

You could argue this is what a Bret/Rey Mysterio would have looked like.  It was awesome.  

The folks complaining about Riho's size, she's not comparatively smaller than Rey.   It only bothers me when she's facing Nyla, but even there I can buy Nyla being outsmarted.

• Like 3