DVDVR Message Board

MLB SPRING TRAINING 2021

RIPPA

Pitchers and Catchers start to report tomorrow (2/17) but I am firing this up today since a few days ago, MLB announced how the Spring Training schedules would work

Major League Baseball on Friday announced a revised Spring Training schedule that begins on Sunday, Feb. 28, with 28 out of the 30 clubs in action. Developed with health and safety considerations in mind, Cactus League teams will play 28 games in 30 days in Arizona, with two off-days. Grapefruit League teams will play under a regionalized schedule within Florida to mitigate travel. 

The Grapefruit League clubs whose Spring Training facilities are on the east coast of Florida will play 24 games in 30 days, with six off-days. These teams are the Astros, Marlins, Mets, Cardinals and Nationals, and they will play each other exclusively.  

The clubs whose Spring Training facilities are on the west coast of Florida will be split into two groups -- in one group, the Tigers, Yankees, Phillies and Blue Jays will play each other, and in the other group, the Braves, Red Sox, Twins and Rays will play each other in 28 games over 30 days, with two universal off-days. The Orioles and Pirates will play against teams from both groups.

In addition to the games in Arizona and Florida, select Spring Training games will be played at Major League ballparks beginning on Sunday, March 28, and select clubs will play another Spring Training game on Tuesday, March 30.

Also with ST about to start - there are a lot of dudes taking 1 year deals (both major and minor)

Some random ones that weren't mentioned in the old thread

Kevin Pillar to the Mets (1 year for $3.6 million plus both a player and club option)

Justin Wilson to the Yanks (unknown terms)

Matt Shoemaker to the (1 year, $2 million)

Keone Kela to Padres (unknown terms)

Notable Minor League deals

Jay Bruce - Yanks

Jason Kipnis - Braves

CJ Cron - Rockies

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Now you are just trying to make Craig mad again

Look, when the opportunity to sign a guy with a 1.5 WHIP that doesn't strike out many people pops up, you gotta jump on it!

• Haha 2

Reports are that the Padres and Fernando Tatis Jr have worked out an extension

10 years, "more than" $300 million (apparently the guarantee is close to $340 million)

So it looks like it will roughly be the 4th largest total value contract ever and close to the 5th or 6th largest based on AAV

EDIT - at least one person is claiming it is 14 years which would knock down those amounts. We shall see

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Jake Arrieta resigns with the Cubs for 2021 with an option for 2022.

I took an edible so that may be part of it, but seeing that there's an option for 2022 is making laugh a lot.

• Like 1

Not really surprising news but the Blue Jays will open the season playing in Florida

They will use their spring training facility in Dunedin, FL (as opposed to Buffalo this time) until at least mid-May

EDIT - the Jays official announcement say it is for at least the first two home stands

The Jays’ first homestand is a six-game set hosting the Angels and the Yankees from April 8-14. They’ll next host the Nationals and Braves from April 27-May 2 before heading out on a 10-game road trip.

The earliest target date for a return to the Rogers Centre, then, appears to be May 14, when they host the Phillies at the outset of a 10-game homestand. It’s no guarantee those games will take place in Toronto, of course; the Jays will reevaluate the situation with input from medical experts and governmental bodies before further charting their course.

They will also host fans at 15% capacity

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not really surprising news but the Blue Jays will open the season playing in Florida

They will use their spring training facility in Dunedin, FL (as opposed to Buffalo this time) until at least mid-May

EDIT - the Jays official announcement say it is for at least the first two home stands

They will also host fans at 15% capacity

Makes sense. No way the Canadian government would allow them to play in Toronto by the time the season started. Hopefully they are back by the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Cool! I got my first baseball cards in 1962, when I was five. I remember having cards of Roger Craig and Gil Hodges, in 1964 I got a Stengel Mgr. card and my parents were all excited by it because he was such a legendary figure. To me, he looked like an old man who should be taking a nap, not suited up in the dugout.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Cool! I got my first baseball cards in 1962, when I was five. I remember having cards of Roger Craig and Gil Hodges, in 1964 I got a Stengel Mgr. card and my parents were all excited by it because he was such a legendary figure. To me, he looked like an old man who should be taking a nap, not suited up in the dugout.

He was younger at the time than Tony LaRussa is now ?

• Like 1

Just now, Tabe said:

He was younger at the time than Tony LaRussa is now ?

Frightening, but true. Stengel was one of those guys that looked 65 when he was 35. When he was in high school the college kids would get him to buy beer for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Bobby Bonilla's contract is like having student loan debt. It's NEVER going away.

Such a brilliant contract by Bonilla('s agent).  Turning a one-time payment of $5.9m that he probably didn't immediately need into 35 years of payments?  Brilliant.  More guys should do stuff like this or do what Gronk does - live off endorsement money while investing paychecks.

I was waiting for someone to do a recap and thankfully trade rumors provides

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/mariners-ceo-kevin-mather-discusses-prospects-extensions-finances.html

Mariners CEO Kevin Mather is an idiot and sure as heck wanted to make sure everyone hated him

Highlights

- admitting that the club didn't want to call up any prospects so they could manipulate their service time

- players are going to be begging to play for Seattle

- how dare their Japanese pitcher want a translator because it is expensive

- bitching that Julio Rodriguez's English sucks