DVDVR Message Board

MLB SPRING TRAINING 2021

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was waiting for someone to do a recap and thankfully trade rumors provides

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/mariners-ceo-kevin-mather-discusses-prospects-extensions-finances.html

Mariners CEO Kevin Mather is an idiot and sure as heck wanted to make sure everyone hated him

Highlights

- admitting that the club didn't want to call up any prospects so they could manipulate their service time

- players are going to be begging to play for Seattle

- how dare their Japanese pitcher want a translator because it is expensive

- bitching that Julio Rodriguez's English sucks

He also said Kyle Seager wouldn't be back in 2022 even though the team has an option on him that year. 

38 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Oh and about Julio Rodriguez's english: if you look at his twitter he seems to have a pretty decent grasp of the language. He's given full interviews in english before also. 

I guess that presumes he does it himself and don't have a social media team doing it for him. 

Just to clarify regarding Pujols - the news reports came out because his wife posted on Instagram that he was retiring. But she quickly backtracked on that so technically he could keep playing.

Who knows?

On 2/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, RIPPA said:

Albert Pujols has announced that he will retire at the end of the season.

Funny how that lines up with his terrible mega deal ending

Damn, I was really hoping he'd hang around long enough to get 700HRs

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Damn, I was really hoping he'd hang around long enough to get 700HRs

He'd need two seasons to reach it at his current skill level; not sure who'd offer a post-2021 one-year deal after 14 WAR over 9 seasons for $210 million thus far.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

He's only 200 Rbi's short of the all time lead. Probably won't get there either. . . .

Considering he hasn't had a season over a 100 since 2017... no, no he is not

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Can he produce enough to scam a contender for a low level draft pick-quality player? Then those clubs would try him for a three or four month tryout.

He is making $30 million this year. Someone is paying that.

So unless LAA DFAs him this year because he is THAT bad - he ain't going anywhere this season.

Plus he has a full no trade

Plus plus - it has to be an AL team this year(unless Universal DH does show up) because no one in their right mind is putting him full time in the field

Plus plus plus - he actually has to produce so this theoretical "contender" would think he would add to their playoff push.

Then he is a FA and he isn't gonna sign with Miami or Pittsburgh

19 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Hey, so does anybody know if that free T-Mobile/MLB app automatically renews this season? Or was that like, a half season pandemic deal?

Maybe this article will have an answer for you...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/15/t-mobile-preparing-to-offer-free-mlb-tv-subscriptions-starting-march-30/

The short answer appears to be , "Yes".

Edited by Travis Sheldon
added info
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Hey, so does anybody know if that free T-Mobile/MLB app automatically renews this season? Or was that like, a half season pandemic deal?

I would assume so. T-Mobile has been doing that for at least four years. 

• Like 1

Okay - I missed this since it came out I think Friday afternoon

MLB put in place some rules to shorten games at the start of Spring Training

"Spring Training games through Saturday, March 13th may be shortened to five-inning games or seven-inning games upon mutual agreement of both managers. Games that occur from Sunday, March 14th until the end of Spring Training on Tuesday, March 30th may be shortened to seven-inning games," the league's statement said.

In addition to the modified length of games, pitchers who are removed during a game are allowed to re-enter at a later point and that all spring training contests, regardless of length, can end in a tie after the schedule length of the game has been played, according to the statement.

Official rules for retiring the side and the three batter minimum will also be relaxed until March 14th.

This is to tie into the news that happened yesterday when the Red Sox were the first team to use the new mercy rule where a team can end an inning after their pitcher throws 20 pitches in said inning.

Garrett Richards was getting shelled (I am sure you are shocked) and Boston bailed on the inning since the Braves had based loaded and only one out. Richards then came back out and pitched a 1-2-3 inning.