DVDVR Message Board

What's the best match you watched live?

Infinit

First time I've started a thread. And I don't recall one on this specific topic. 

For me?

DIY vs The Revival at Takeover Toronto

Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels at Mania 24

Pete Dunne vs Josh Alexander at Destiny Wrestling January 2019. Dunne's last indy booking and a week before he was in the Royal Rumble. 

Honorable Mention:

Kenny King vs Jay Lethal for the ROH title at Global Wars November 2018

• Like 1

Golden Lovers vs Naito/Hiromu CEOxNJPW show.     That show not only got me back into hitting wrestling shows, but also back into fighting game tournies, where I realized my ceiling was being Taichi and I embraced it.  ^_^

Favorite match not involving NJPW guys:  Dan Severn vs Josh Woods at Wrestlecade I think 2017.

Favorite women's match: Taya vs Ivelisse, same show.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

Regal vs You Know Who at Pillman Show 2000

Something prob from WM 8

Any number of matches from Chikara involving Quack, Hero, Claudio, Brodie and stuff from KOT

Nikita Magnum Best of 7 #1 Bash 86

Pillman v Liger house show 91

Stiff I'm prob forgetting 

• Like 1

Envious of Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind at WWF Mind Games 1996 and The Revival vs. #DIY at NXT TakeOver: Toronto 2016.

Mine's a sentimental pick as it was my first time attend any wrestling event, WWE Live in April 2015 and because it involved DANIEL BRYAN:

Daniel Bryan/Dolph Ziggler/Erick Rowan vs. Bray Wyatt/Sheamus/Bad News Barrett.

Timed it right because two days after Bryan teamed with John Cena vs. Cesaro/Tyson Kidd on Smackdown, Bryan was pulled from the rest of the European Tour.

• Like 1

Kinda cheating since I was on commentary, but the Trevor Lee/Roy Wilkins 105 minute match.

Discounting stuff I was on the call for, I'd go

Eddie Guerrero vs Chris Jericho - Fall Brawl 97

Also the El Generico- Kevin Steen street fight from Mania weekend in Miami was really fucking good.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Probably Undertaker vs Batista from Wrestlemania 23.

Ooh! Before Batista vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania 23 happened, I said many times that it should have gone on last and main evented the show. The Royal Rumble Winner in The Undertaker challenging for a World Title at a WrestleMania for the first time in 10 years while defending The Streak. Always felt The Undertaker vs. Batista was the Match of the Night, much better than John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels and the start of Undertaker's Match of the Night seven years running.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head,

probably Lawful Jr. and I's favorite match we've seen live was the Velveteen Dream vs. Alistair Black match at Takeover Wargames.  Yeah, I know it probably doesn't hold up and one of the participants has really let everyone down, but it was such a cool feud, cool storyline for the feud, and we feel like we played a major part in turning VD babyface.  Bonus points for Alistair actually saying his name.

You can see me in my New Day shirt holding a "Say His Name" sign on WWE Network during Alistair's entrance.

That night was also the first Wargames and the Andrade v. McEntire title change.

Recently, we saw the Undisputed Era v. Imperium. 

Probably objectively, the first Ciampa v. Gargano match or the ladder match from Takeover New Orleans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Ooh! Before Batista vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania 23 happened, I said many times that it should have gone on last and main evented the show. The Royal Rumble Winner in The Undertaker challenging for a World Title at a WrestleMania for the first time in 10 years while defending The Streak. Always felt The Undertaker vs. Batista was the Match of the Night, much better than John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels and the start of Undertaker's Match of the Night seven years running.

It's funny because at the time I did not want to see that match. I was looking forward to Money in the Bank more than anything else on the show! It was by far the match of the night. Batista and Undertaker had such great chemistry. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

It's funny because at the time I did not want to see that match. I was looking forward to Money in the Bank more than anything else on the show! It was by far the match of the night. Batista and Undertaker had such great chemistry. 

I looked forward to that Batista vs. Undertaker at WrestleMania 23 and it exceeded my expectations. You're right about the great chemistry between them. What a 2007 series of matches. I'd rank them.

5. The Undertaker vs. Batista, Post Backlash 2007 Smackdown.

4. Batista vs. The Undertaker, Cyber Sunday 2007.

3. Batista vs. The Undertaker, Survivor Series 2007.

2. The Undertaker vs. Batista, Backlash 2007.

1. Batista vs. The Undertaker, WrestleMania 23.

• Like 2

Billyken Kid vs Dick Togo at Osaka Pro Hurricane 2010

Kawada & Taue vs Kobashi & Kenta in HDA's last-ever match at the 2009 NOAH Osaka Misawa Memorial Show

Hiromu vs Lee at New Beginning in Osaka 2020 

Hard to pick a definitive #1 out of those three. Marked out like crazy for all of them. I also marked out pretty hard for Mox vs MiSu at New Beginning, and for Archer vs Ospreay during the 2019 New Japan Cup, and every time Bryan Danielson came up to work ECCW and I was able to see him live...

• Like 2

This has come up before and it made me realize not only have I never seen a good match live I've barely even seen a decent match.

So my answer is probably EZ Money vs Kid Kash at an ECW house show in Kansas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Billyken Kid vs Dick Togo at Osaka Pro Hurricane 2010

Kawada & Taue vs Kobashi & Kenta in HDA's last-ever match at the 2009 NOAH Osaka Misawa Memorial Show

Hiromu vs Lee at New Beginning in Osaka 2020 

Hard to pick a definitive #1 out of those three. Marked out like crazy for all of them. I also marked out pretty hard for Mox vs MiSu at New Beginning, and for Archer vs Ospreay during the 2019 New Japan Cup, and every time Bryan Danielson came up to work ECCW and I was able to see him live...

I LOVE Kenta Kobashi. If I could have a ticket to see any three wrestlers wrestle, I'd pick Kobashi, Bret Hart and either Hiroshi Tanahashi or Kazuchika Okada. Cool you got to experience Kaze Ni Naire live, my friend.

• Like 2

The Revival vs. American Alpha at an NXT house show in Seattle in 2016.

Dawson did the Arn Anderson punch fake ---> DDT spot, they did a crawl under the ring sneak attack spot, dudes were hitting moves with impact, the pacing was perfect. The crowd was hot as hell.

There is no better live wrestling than Southern-style tag wrestling. 

• Like 2

I'm gonna do house shows only. Was at WM 25 Taker/Shawn so that wins overall.

I got to see Flair and Steamboat in 94 as they went around the horn around the time of Spring Stampede. It was, of course, amazing.

Saw the infamous Nasties/Outsiders shoot in Shreveport. 

The initial WWE Starrcade house show in Greensboro a few years ago was pretty cool. Dustin came out to the WCW theme and Arn spinebustered a dude.

• Like 2

Kenta vs Low Ki at Final Battle 05 and Taker vs Batista Mania 23 are tied for me. Two totally different matches but both kicked ass. The Shield vs Evolution at Extreme Rules, AJ Styles vs Roman Reigns at Extreme Rules, The Revival vs DIY at NXT Brooklyn 2, Jay Lethal vs Jay Briscoe at Best in the World and Bryan Danielson vs Morishima at Manhattan Mayhem are honorable mentions.  

Edited by olythegreat89
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I LOVE Kenta Kobashi. If I could have a ticket to see any three wrestlers wrestle, I'd pick Kobashi, Bret Hart and either Hiroshi Tanahashi or Kazuchika Okada. Cool you got to experience Kaze Ni Naire live, my friend.

In 2005, the first time I came to Japan, I went to a NOAH show in Yokohama (headlined by a Taue vs Morishima title match) and I got to hear SpartanX live and chant "Mi! Sa! Wa!" along with the crowd. I literally got goosebumps. It was a dream come true, for me.

A year earlier, at Backlash 2004 in Rexall Place in Edmonton Alberta Canada I had planned to try and start a "You screwed Bret!!" chant when HBK came out for the main event, but I never got the chance. The moment he came out, the chant started up, all over the arena. Felt like I was taking part in a Canadian pro wrestling tradition.

Kaze ni Nare live was pretty similar. Of course I was all set to belt it out, and when the moment came it was just an absolute roar. I'd estimate 21,800 out of 22,000 people in Osaka Jo were singing along to Kaze ni Nare. 

Also, the insane reaction that Kobashi (returning from arm surgery) got from the crowd at the Misawa Memorial Show was another genuine goosebump moment. Not the first time and not the last that pro wrestling brought a tear to my eye. Come to think of it (and looking at Cagematch) it was HDA vs Akiyama & KENTA at that show. Kobashi made his return in a 6-man tagging with Go and Chono.

All of those moments were literally awesome. Just being one fan among many feeling the same thing in the same moment.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I was at Mind Games, Joe vs Kobashi, and a whole lot of other shows; but I guess I'd have to say the Andersons vs. The Rock n Roll Express in the cage at Starrcade 86, third row ringside.

My point about Southern-style tag wrestling stands. I would have loved to see that live, damn. 

• Like 1

The obvious answer for me is Danielson-Morishima from 2007 at the Manhattan Center that won the WON MOTY award.

A few runner up's:

-Danielson-London 2/3 falls from 2003

-Trent Acid vs Teddy Hart (2004 IIRC) at the ECW Arena. It doesn't come off nearly as good on tape but it was insane to the point that fans of both guys nearly got into a legit fight (in 2004!!!)

-Bret-Austin SS 1996. Enough said.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Every match from the only show ECW did in Tallahassee. There was so much more than the TV that came from that show. That was like a TV taping + an ECW Arena show in the same night. They went that hard and everybody wrestled.

I also saw The Yellow Dog vs Stunning Steve (SCSA vs Pillman) time limit draw from Worldwide, which was the first time I’d ever seen the 3 count in the last 2 seconds remaining finish. That whole card was also stacked. It was the first block of competitive Worldwides after a stint of it being jobber TV.

• Like 2

Nigel vs Aries at the ROH 2007 Rising Above ppv taping! BRUTAL! The woman in front of me was shocked when Nigel's head went to the barricade!                                                           Also there was a really good cage match I saw at MSG between Jericho and Cena! All the Cena haters were drond out by all the kids and women in the audience!

• Like 1