DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Castle Attack 2021. *CONTAINS NEW BEGINNING 2021 SPOILERS*

The Natural

Full cards announced. Copy and paste from f4wonline.com.

Castle Attack night one (Saturday, February 27) --

Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

Jay White vs. Tomohiro Ishii

KOPW 2021 trophy holder Toru Yano defends against Chase Owens

Hirooki Goto vs. Tama Tonga

YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tanga Loa

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. The Great O-Khan, Will Ospreay & Jeff Cobb

Castle Attack night two (Sunday, February 28) --

IWGP Intercontinental Champion Kota Ibushi defends against Tetsuya Naito

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi defends against El Phantasmo

NEVER Openweight Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi defends against The Great O-Khan

IWGP Tag Team Champions The Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) defend against Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI

Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. EVIL, Jay White & Chase Owens

Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Will Ospreay & Jeff Cobb

---

Night One is real rough looking. Only match that piqued my interest is Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jay White. It's all about Night Two. It's the first time since Tetsuya Naito unified the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and IWGP Intercontinental Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 14 that someone is going for the one belt only. Naito wins and the secondary belt becomes separate again. Ibushi retains making it unified as one as Ibushi has gone on record wanting that. It's something getting a Wrestle Kingdom main event rematch in such a short space of time. I think Hiroshi Tanahashi will lose the NEVER Openweight Championship to Great O-Khan. That would be a mistake. Give Go Ace a long reign with it.

• Like 1

Night one is bad. Ishii-White will be good but I don't have any faith in the other bullet club singles matches. 

I think Khan is winning. He'll look awful if he loses again so soon. I would have liked Tanahashi to get a long reign though. A lot of people seem to want the IC title separated but I fall in the unified camp. I'd rather the Never title get elevated.

Also rooting for Chaos to win the tag titles. Honestly I could see every title match go either way. 

A new young Lion is debuting. Yuto Nakashima on night 1 of the Road to shows. Hopefully Uemura can go on excursion. I have a lot of hope for him. 

Edited by Spontaneous
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Night one is bad. Ishii-White will be good but I don't have any faith in the other bullet club singles matches. 

I think Khan is winning. He'll look awful if he loses again so soon. I would have liked Tanahashi to get a long reign though. A lot of people seem to want the IC title separated but I fall in the unified camp. I'd rather the Never title get elevated.

Also rooting for Chaos to win the tag titles. Honestly I could see every title match go either way. 

A new young Lion is debuting. Yuto Nakashima on night 1 of the Road to shows. Hopefully Uemura can go on excursion. I have a lot of hope for him. 

Yeah, I figure Great O-Khan gets his win back after losing to Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 15 and picks up a belt in the process. Rooting for nearly any tag team to beat GOD. Dangerous Tekkers never should've lost the IWGP Tag Team Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 15 to them. Surprised how rotten Night One is. Most intriguing thing to me on both shows is what happens to the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. Least we don't have to wait long to find out.

Edited by The Natural

Road to Castle Attack, 25th February sees the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship defended. El Phantasmo/Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi/BUSHI. Read on NJPW's official website that it's the one thing Takahashi hasn't won as a Junior Heavyweight. I think he will here and then move up to Heavyweight once he drops the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Tama looked better on his recent singles matches on Strong shows and Goto sometimes does MOTYC matches so I'm hopeful that they can deliver. Unfortunately their single matches are one after another and NJPW often books such in same manner: first ends with DQ due to heel from second one interfering and second match is more of a clusterfuck due to 4 guys being present.

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

I like having more single matches regardless of the outcomes. If the top two belts stays unified then Never becomes the second big singles belt and US title could be NJPW USA main belt. 

I'm for all that. Nice one, @D.Z. I'm liking the elevation of the NEVER Openweight Championship, the belt's grown on me.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I like that set up as everything has clear value. I've come to really like the Never Openweight belts as they currently stand and the jr tag titles also serve a purpose. The Naito-Ibushi match has so much more intrigue now, even if the IC belt is unified.

• Like 1

Hiromu Takahashi is injured. Takahashi didn't wrestle on the Road to Castle Attack, 20th February show. A shoulder issue to be examined at the hospital. This tour is cursed. Bring back the Invasion Attack name.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

Hiromu is out 6 months with a left pectoral injury. No word on what the plan is for the Jr title. I imagine ELP will face someone for the vacant championship.

Naito returns 2-25 from his injury so hopefully it's less severe. 

Edited by Spontaneous
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Spontaneous said:

Hiromu is out 6 months with a left pectoral injury. No word on what the plan is for the Jr title. I imagine ELP will face someone for the vacant championship.

Naito returns 2-25 from his injury so hopefully it's less severe. 

Fuck at Hiromu Takahashi's injury, didn't expect it to be as bad as that. Yeah, the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship he holds will have to be vacated. I think you're right that ELP will face someone for it, El Desperado perhaps?

I can't see Tetsuya Naito making that date either. Hope to be wrong but his interview backstage and Ibushi's reaction to makes me think it won't happen.

Spoiler

El Desperado vs El Phantasmo vs BUSHI for the vacant title should be fun. Make Despy double champ dammit!

I thought the Jr tag titles match was miles better than their New Beginning match. It came off like they didn't change the match LIJ and Bullet Club would have had, with Desperado in the Hiromu role. Nothing spectacular but no interference, no real BS, just a straight jr tag.

• Like 1