DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, killsteve said:

That would actually make some sense and result in something more interesting than the current PPV match. The big problem obviously though is that Santana & Ortiz haven't won a match on TV in over 6 months.

Hey, they’ve been more serious on Dark the past couple of weeks, that’s not enough set up for you?

Honestly, I like Santana and Ortiz winning the titles given who the challengers are. It would mean the Bucks first reign was a bit of a fizzle but that just gives them reason enough to go on the hunt again. 

10 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I noticed that too. I also disliked it, but not enough to find it really distracting outside of one or two moments.

All kinds of COVID-era stuff just feels like stuff now, including reduced/quieter wrestling crowds. It struck me recently that it's going to feel weird going out without a mask, when that time finally comes.

It's puzzling that AEW would try this as unlike some places they can only do so much to hide the fact that there's practically no fans for a taped show.  When companies try this if it's not done right it's misguided at best and intelligence-insulting at worst so yeah I'll take silence any day.  I wouldn't mind if it was lower just so the workers are heard better when they respond to things.  It was just too loud at points and really distracting.  But I did adjust the sound settings and while a fair bit better I guess it's something I hope to get used to over time.  And yes I realize it's likely a "It's not them, it's me situation" but I guess I'm weird like that.

Now as for the show itself I thought it did a pretty good job with the stories.  The Sammy face turn is a welcome change of pace as while he's a great douchebag he also seems like a likeable guy that I want to root for.  I'll miss his vlogs though if this means they'll be paused for a month.  As for Adam I didn't pick up at first on his slight-of-hand trick with Matt's contract but it'll be interesting to see what Matt signed up for.  And it's still weird as fuck seeing KENTA, his briefcase and the US belt on the show.  He also brought the goods in the match and it makes me wish I didn't cancel NJPW World for financial reasons so I could see his match against Moxley.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Really, really do not want to see a QT Marshall turn. Please. Just don't do that. There are some excellent roster members still starved for TV time. The last thing they need to do is devote any primetime minutes to that guy.

Would also probably agree w/ the remark that Darby is fundamentally too small to be paired with Sting. Bit of an odd pair up. Other than the Brodie/Cody squash which was really effective, the TNT Title as a whole feels like an unrealised endeavour so far. The title is 10 months old and has how many defining moments associated with it? They need to start figuring out where the title program goes next.

Separately I really do think a Cruiserweight/X Division style title would be a great add to the show to move a lot of the smaller + super young guys forward in programs together in a way that doesn't diminish the impact of them being paired with the older roster members (who typically seem to be the larger workers too) in the future.

Edited by A_K

56 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Honestly, I like Santana and Ortiz winning the titles given who the challengers are. It would mean the Bucks first reign was a bit of a fizzle but that just gives them reason enough to go on the hunt again. 

First, even if the Bucks were to lose, calling this run a fizzle would be overlooking their incredible run of matches from the title win onward.  I like Santana and Ortiz, but decisive victories on Dark aside (which I and at least half the audience hasn’t seen) they’re  just meandering around on Dynamite.  They needed to be booked stronger post street fight.  Both them and the Friends lost a lot of hard earned steam when they just slipped into the directionless void.  Even here with the Bucks challenging them they couldn’t get a response promio?  Instead they’re extras in the inner circle storyline.  Also, why if the Bucks can just book their own matches on the fly during promos did they not just make the Match with the Good Bros. And why bother entering the battle royal?  I love AEW but they have a ways to go to get beyond their weekly little logic holes.

Also, Rick Knox completely missing the fast tap by Nemeth, rightfully called out by JR is a great example of how clueless he too often is.  He’s made far too many mistakes over the past couple years to still be employed as an on camera player.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I'm sure it's been asked before, but anyone know what the % of viewership for Dark is? Is it even 5% of the TV audience? I know it's cannon and it serves a purpose, but if they're going to use wins on that for storyline purposes then then REALLY need to recap it on Dynamite

I liked the show overall but kind of a rough first hour and change, IMO.  The Inner Circle stuff continues to be fun but I don't think we needed four matches in a row that had zero suspense as to who might win.  AND we got not one but TWO jobber squashes.  Jesus.

That being said, Darby/Janella was great.  People who still shit on Janella are only slightly less annoying than the people who still downplay Omega's talent.

Speaking of jobber squashes, if you want to get Lee Johnson over as finally getting his big win, than having him pin PETER AVALON with a ROLL UP probably isn't the way to do it.  123 Kid beat Razor Ramon to start his push, not Steve Lombardi.  Being overwhelmed with emotion for beating a guy with a record just as bad as yours is ridiculous.  Did they have no other teams ready to job that might have been slightly higher on the roster?  Hybrid2 would have been fine.  Pinning the veteran Jack Evans would have meant a LOT more.

Are they really building something with QT, by the way?  Others have said it too, but Johnson mentioned "The Rhodes Family" as helping his career, not "The Nightmare Family," then he named everyone except QT and Marshall definitely had a look on his face.  I mean I don't need to see a QT vs Cody feud as THE NIGHTMARE FAMILY EXPLODES but if it's another thing that occupies Cody and keeps him away from the programs and wrestlers I like, that's a win.

Caster referenced "you are my sunshine" and I LOL'd

Sammy leaving the IC and Jericho being remorseful was great.  Another promotion would have had them beat him down immediately.

LOVED Callis the caddy, in the background, dropping Omega's ball in the hole.  Also, roving reporter Marvez is always great just showing up in his announcer gear in random ass places.

Great main event!  The kitchen brawl took me back to my days as a prep cook.  Glad nobody went into the deep fryers.  It's amazing how they can keep Archer's aura despite him doing some big jobs in the past.  What a company.  I was cool with the interference finish because 1) AEW doesn't do that a lot and 2) they're scumbag heels.  It's what they do.  As long as AEW doesn't do it every week like some NWO shit (they won't), we're fine.

That chokeslam from the railing to Avalon's Love Bed was scary.

Was this a taped show?  The quick recap montage in the middle of the main event, followed by "now we're brawling back to the ring" was WEIRD.

Eager to see what the Hangman/Hardy contract deal is.  Speaking of which, it's awesome that AEW at least makes an effort to explain why the camera is there every time instead of treating it like I'm watching a sitcom.

My God this Sting angle is getting long in the tooth.  Glad to see ol' Real Estate Steve getting paid but Jesus.  Also, LOL @ Sting "racing off" to save Darby, bareley moving faster than the old ladies who walk at the mall.

Damn, who was worried about the Acclaimed being ready for prime time a few weeks ago when they faced the Bucks?  These guys are doing great.  What is in the water in Jacksonville and can we set up some irrigation system so some of it is routed to Orlando?

Mike Sydal!  Haven't seen him since a Baltimore ROH taping something like 10 years ago or whatever.

A thousand bonus points to Sammy for his Nancy Toffoloni "Woman" shirt.  Awesome.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

First, even if the Bucks were to lose, calling this run a fizzle would be overlooking their incredible run of matches from the title win onward.

Compared to Page and Omega? They've defended against the Acclaimed and beat Hybrid 2 and Top Flight in non-title matches. I'm not arguing their run of matches, just the recent ones.

Not sure how they compare to a Omega and Page during their first couple months, but those matches you mentioned and I include the multi man matches have all been top shelf. If we’re speaking in kay5 terms I suppose it’s been underwhelming considering the names they’ve faced.  But again, In reality, their matches since the win have all been really terrific.  

51 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

My God this Sting angle is getting long in the tooth.  Glad to see ol' Real Estate Steve getting paid but Jesus.  Also, LOL @ Sting "racing off" to save Darby, bareley moving faster than the old ladies who walk at the mall.

Oh yeah, Excalibur got me to blurt laugh. "Sting is in hot pursuit!" Sure, bud. 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Darby constantly looks like a fucking dweeb going 50/50 with nobodies like Janela and getting beaten up by Cobra Kai, while needing Sting to fight his battles for him.

You don't book everyone like Super Cena. Darby is supposed to be an underdog. Most of his offense is hot comebacks full of fire. If you want to book an underdog as an underdog they have to lose sometimes. Or at least get their ass kicked and go 50/50. Look I hate 50/50 booking as much as everyone else. But that's not the same as keeping an underdog an underdog. If he goes out there and straight murders Janela and starts squashing people and gets booked like Cena, no one gets with the heat portions of his match. There's no emotion in his comebacks.

Wrestling fans all want "their guy" to be dominant. And wrestling DOES need dominant guys. But not everyone is suited to be booked that way. And if you book everyone as dominant than no one is dominant because it's not special. The way they are booking Darby is just right, in my opinion. Takes an ass whopping, fires up some hot comebacks, and usually finds a way to win. But sometimes he doesn't. So you never know.

I do agree the Sting stuff is getting old. They want him as a weekly presence, but that's a mistake in my opinion. He can't wrestle weekly so bringing him out every week to do the same thing is just making him lose his aura. The week they did a pretape promo in that dirty warehouse... that's how you get Sting on the show if you want him. Good visuals, added to the aura. But him just coming out to watch a Taz promo on the tron every week is getting pretty lame.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

That chokeslam from the railing to Avalon's Love Bed was scary.

I thought the same thing! Especially because there's a quick shot of the underside of the bed after it gets collapsed and they're using 4x4s as supports. Seemed like they came pretty close to a serious injury to Kenny if he connected with one of those 4x4s.

• Like 1

I think the problem with Darby vs Bad Boy was -again - Janela hadn't been built up at all. He might have a 10 match hot streak on Dark for all I and 99% of the audience know, but on TV he's been nothing but cannon fodder, so Darby having a competitive match with him is Darby having a competitive match with a jobber. It's quite a simple problem to fix though, just give him a few wins on Dark and reference it on TV or have him win a match the week beforehand. Otherwise he's get getting a title shot just coz he turned up to work one day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Not sure how they compare to a Omega and Page during their first couple months, but those matches you mentioned and I include the multi man matches have all been top shelf. If we’re speaking in kay5 terms I suppose it’s been underwhelming considering the names they’ve faced.  But again, In reality, their matches since the win have all been really terrific.  

I'm saying if they lost the titles next week, then their first reign would be shorter and against less spectacular opponents than we may have thought they would but I think that's a good thing, it gives them even more reason for their feud with the Good Bros if they interfere and even more heat when they try to win the titles again. It is not a comment on the matches or the Bucks abilities, I'm not sure why you think this is a dig. Besides, they'll have multiple reigns as champ, losing the first one so soon after struggling for so long to get the titles in the first place is a natural next chapter.

I liked the commentary building up PAC as one of the few people to beat Omega. It's easy to forget how good his record is considering how lost in the shuffle he seems at times. But PAC's only ever been beaten in singles competition in AEW by Page, Moxley, and twice by Omega. Gotta figure he's in the title mix before long, and the commentary did a good job during PAC's match of making that seem reasonable. 

Good call on those who noticed the QT thing. I missed it, but watching back it was pretty clearly intentional. Of course after a Peter Avalon enhancement match that went through a break, I was splitting my attention with my phone. When I say there are places they can nip or tuck some things on these shows to maybe make room for a promo for another act, this match going this long is what I've got in mind. 

I hope for their sake they end up selling a boatload of Sting action figures. Otherwise, they're doing a fine job killing seemingly most people's excitement about him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, killsteve said:

I think the problem with Darby vs Bad Boy was -again - Janela hadn't been built up at all. He might have a 10 match hot streak on Dark for all I and 99% of the audience know, but on TV he's been nothing but cannon fodder, so Darby having a competitive match with him is Darby having a competitive match with a jobber. It's quite a simple problem to fix though, just give him a few wins on Dark and reference it on TV or have him win a match the week beforehand. Otherwise he's get getting a title shot just coz he turned up to work one day.

The last two singles matches I remember for Janela on Dynamite were him getting squashed by Jericho and maybe getting one or two moves of offense in against Kenny Omega.

They should've had Janela win a somewhat decent or notable match on Dynamite to set this up. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You don't book everyone like Super Cena. Darby is supposed to be an underdog. Most of his offense is hot comebacks full of fire. If you want to book an underdog as an underdog they have to lose sometimes. Or at least get their ass kicked and go 50/50. Look I hate 50/50 booking as much as everyone else. But that's not the same as keeping an underdog an underdog. If he goes out there and straight murders Janela and starts squashing people and gets booked like Cena, no one gets with the heat portions of his match. There's no emotion in his comebacks.

Wrestling fans all want "their guy" to be dominant. And wrestling DOES need dominant guys. But not everyone is suited to be booked that way. And if you book everyone as dominant than no one is dominant because it's not special. The way they are booking Darby is just right, in my opinion. Takes an ass whopping, fires up some hot comebacks, and usually finds a way to win. But sometimes he doesn't. So you never know.

I do agree the Sting stuff is getting old. They want him as a weekly presence, but that's a mistake in my opinion. He can't wrestle weekly so bringing him out every week to do the same thing is just making him lose his aura. The week they did a pretape promo in that dirty warehouse... that's how you get Sting on the show if you want him. Good visuals, added to the aura. But him just coming out to watch a Taz promo on the tron every week is getting pretty lame.

I think that's a false equivalence. 

Darby as Super Cena would work as poorly as the current "just another guy but he's got the belt" version.

I'd happily settle for Jeff Hardy 2008 or Mick Foley 1997.

The early shows did a great job of putting over what made him dangerous- that he had a high pain threshold and would do stupid things at risk to himself to get one over on someone else.

Since then, he gets beat up a lot, you sympathise with him, but aside from the obscure promos, there's not a hell of a lot that makes you empathise with him. Why is he who he is, why do you care about his mission, why do I want to get behind him? The Cage defence told a great story out of the ring of him dealing with bullies his whole life and being able to overcome that. In ring it didn't translate. It was Cage taking 80% of the match, Darby getting lucky and hitting a top rope move out of nowhere for a fairly lucky pin. It needed a certain level of fired up babyface digging down deep and reliving past trauma to push through and overcome odds. Not just cool spot out of nowhere, hey look Sting!

I don't want him to be booked as dominant for the same reasons you list, but they certainly need to do more to present him better as someone who possesses a unique threat and isn't just another guy. In hindsight, you could swap the booking of Jungle Boy and Darby in recent weeks and it would work perfectly. 

Jungle Boy not only emotes better when he's getting beat down but its less of a mini HIAC psychology with his heel beat downs. You don't get emotionally involved with Darby taking a beating from Team Taz because you know every time it's going to end with a vicious high spot. I tune out from him taking a stomping because you know where it's leading eventually. They're just building up to that.

• Like 2