DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Was the Joey/Darby match originally supposed to be no DQ or did I have that mixed up with the main event? Both of those guys would have been at their best in such a match but they had a solid straight wrestling bout here. The end came off as kind of abrupt though.

Rosa is good but she's got a couple other potential angles percolating here so I think Leyla should have gotten the win as she'd be better served with some more shine in the tournament. Match was good though.

Lee Johnson has been improving and I hope he gets more than just being one of Cody's entourage.

The Acclaimed's raps being dorky fits their characters better. They're getting better every week and definitely a team that can be built on for the future.

I'm probably in the minority here but I would have rather seen a straight match in the main event as the street fight rules seemed kind of abrupt in the feud. The finishing stretch was great though.

I missed most of the Darby match and the women's match, which I wanted to see most, so I'll have to go back. 

Tony: "He looks like Arn AND Ole!" JR: "Oh my god..." Yeah, you can't unsee that now haha. It felt like a lot of new talent on the show tonight. 

The Inner Circle stuff worked out great. "Cameraman, you stay." Good job! The stomach sell too, nice. 

Main was fine, it should have been crazier though. The double stomp was the best part. Archer is back to beast, he needs to be stomping Kenny whenever there isn't any help. Kenta at least hit the fucking G2S this time.

• Like 1

Not sure if I got some weird alternate feed but did they really put in crowd sweetening? I get that it's taped with no fans there but I'd much rather listen to silence than sounds of a crowd that's just not there. Was way too distracting to really get into the show. 

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

Was the Joey/Darby match originally supposed to be no DQ or did I have that mixed up with the main event? Both of those guys would have been at their best in such a match but they had a solid straight wrestling bout here. The end came off as kind of abrupt though.

And they had a perfect ending right there a couple minutes earlier. Darby counterd into the stunner and Joey landed in position for a coffin drop, and I thought he was going to go for it. Could have ended it right there with a solid bout that didn't give Janela too much. Instead, Darby rolled into the cover and they were off to the races with counters. Oh well. 

• Like 1

Just now, HumanChessgame said:

Was the Joey/Darby match originally supposed to be no DQ or did I have that mixed up with the main event?

Janela/Darby was never supposed to be No DQ. I'm glad it wasn't, as they had a really solid wrestling match. 

Great stuff. Feels like pretty much everyone is in the right place on the show. Have said it before, will say it again: get this Team Tazz dirge in the bin and then they're rolling. Elevate Starks like Rock post-Nation of Domination and let the rest of them float to the low-card. Shame to have wasted Sting's presence on that but then again there's no obvious gap for him to fill in the show.

Acclaimed gold. MJF/Sammy gold. Hangman gold. Main event scene gold. Cody can even have his weird Rhodes family circle jerk for 15 minutes a week at the bottom of the card when the real stuff is so strong. There's a bit of the '96 WWF feel to them whereby if they can capitalise on the young talent, they could have a special offering come 12-18 months time that can challenge the WWE flagship shows in ratings.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 6

Once again, loved it. So much good shit to point out, but that main event was fucking great and I laughed my ass off at Marvez showing up on a golf course in his fucking AEW suit. I now want Marvez to show up everywhere in that suit looking like a dork.

Man...remember when Marvez was one of the announcers?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

QT Marshall is going to be the first member of the Nightmare Family to turn. He's going to lay a beating on Lee Johnson when it comes.

Could be. Lee didn't thank him when he was firing off names.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Could be. Lee didn't thank him when he was firing off names.

QT was kind of giving Lee a half assed applause. That's the best use of QT, be jealous of the Nightmare family young boys, then put them over.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Once again, loved it. So much good shit to point out, but that main event was fucking great and I laughed my ass off at Marvez showing up on a golf course in his fucking AEW suit. I now want Marvez to show up everywhere in that suit looking like a dork.

Man...remember when Marvez was one of the announcers?

On the first Fight For The Fallen he made a comparison between Shoko Nakajima and Bruiser Brody over both of them wearing fury boots and I’m not gonna lie I remember thinking “that Marvez is alright he knows who Bruiser Brody is”.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Haha 1

I think it's a possibility Johnson and Arn turn together, and Arn stays on as his manager.

I'm pretty unsure where else you can go with the Sting/Darby/Taz stuff - maybe next week is the one in which they finally leave Sting laying (or more accurately, Darby or someone finds him after an off-screen beating).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not sure if I got some weird alternate feed but did they really put in crowd sweetening? I get that it's taped with no fans there but I'd much rather listen to silence than sounds of a crowd that's just not there. Was way too distracting to really get into the show. 

I noticed that too. I also disliked it, but not enough to find it really distracting outside of one or two moments.

All kinds of COVID-era stuff just feels like stuff now, including reduced/quieter wrestling crowds. It struck me recently that it's going to feel weird going out without a mask, when that time finally comes.

• Like 1

Ryan Nemeth coming out of nowhere and becoming a TV fixture is super weird.

And next week we’re getting Mike Sydal, who’s primary claim to fame is that gif of him almost dying on an ill-advised somersault Styles Clash off the top.

Ryan Nemeth showing up looking just like Dolph Ziegler is the most 98 WCW move AEW has done. 

If they really wanted to go 98 WCW I’d much rather Joe Hennig show up dressed like John Nord during his WCW run. 
john-nord-front.jpg

john-nord-back.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3