DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

On 2/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, Web Conn said:

Ryan Nemeth showing up looking just like Dolph Ziegler is the most 98 WCW move AEW has done. 

If they really wanted to go 98 WCW I’d much rather Joe Hennig show up dressed like John Nord during his WCW run. 
john-nord-front.jpg

john-nord-back.jpg

Now I'm sad that John Nord didn't come down with lycanthropy during that whole phase of late era WCW with Vampiro and The Kiss Demon fighting for a sacred cup of Anton LaVey's preserved jizz.

"I've Always Been Berserk.....But Now Wolfman's Got Nords."

Then the Gambler would return at Halloween Havoc to vanquish  him with a silver bullet.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I loves the little pause Sammy gave before thinking "fuck it" and walking back through the face tunnel. Like someone said, it's a bit too cute but It just seemed like aan extra exclamation mark to make his point to Jericho that he's not only leaving he IC, he's leaving the "bad side" for good.

Also, I'm all for QT being some sort of jealous/abusive coach to the Nightmare Family rookies, seems like a good storyline to run on Dark for a while.

9 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

Don't you sleep on QT. He even learned how to do a Phoenix Splash for his upcoming push to glory! Seriously, he tweeted it.

I'd like to see a Sprint Championship with a hard timelimit. Maybe 8 minutes. Title can change by count-out and the count-out only goes to five, so that a suicide dive could be the end of a match. Something like that. I'm not sure about the rules alltogether, but fast paced sprints are awesome and could be a nice difference to the other title matches going the distance.

This is what I felt the TNT belt should be, 1 fall 10-15 min time limits.  NWA did the 6:05 thing with their TV belt, I felt it was gimmicky.

8 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Now I'm sad that John Nord didn't come down with lycanthropy during that whole phase of late era WCW with Vampiro and The Kiss Demon fighting for a sacred cup of Anton LaVey's preserved jizz.

"I've Always Been Berserk.....But Now Wolfman's Got Nords."

Then the Gambler would return at Halloween Havoc to vanquish  him with a silver bullet.

If you had the book WCW’d still be around 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Do you understand how false equivalences work? Me disagreeing with something does not automatically mean that I like or advocate for other things that you don't like. I'm not really sure what Randy Orton or Michael Cole have to do with this. At. All. I'm not even sure how you've got "Jungle Boy is pushed more than Darby" from what I said either. I said that the segments that they've produced for both guys were better suited to the opposite guy's skillsets.

Apparently I don't understand what a false equivalency is. You said "Darby constantly looks like a fucking dweeb going 50/50 with nobodies like Janela and getting beaten up by Cobra Kai, while needing Sting to fight his battles for him" and I replied with why I don't agree with that statement because he needs to be booked like an underdog, not someone dominant. He needs to get the shit kicked out of him at least 50% of the time for his character to work. I'm gonna count this a s a point for me.

Then you said "In hindsight, you could swap the booking of Jungle Boy and Darby in recent weeks and it would work perfectly" to which I did wrongly conflate what you had typed and did the whole Jungleboy isn't a bigger star. So there's a point for you.

16 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Also - I haven't missed an episode of Dynamite yet, and while not being familiar with Darby pre AEW, or watch Dark/BTE regularly - that is the first time I've heard that story. I'm the non-hardcore viewer. I suspect others weren't aware of it.

A lot of the early hammering of his character was on the first PPVs as well as Dynamite. Did you see any of the PPVs? They definitely ran multiple quick sit down promos of him in the early days of Dynamite describing his character, as well as JR & Excalabur constantly refreshing it every time he was on Dynamite for the first six months or so. I'd never seen him work before AEW either, so it's not like I picked up pieces of his story before AEW. I'm gonna chalk this up to you just not paying close attention while you watch I guess.

To your original point that I missed, "In hindsight, you could swap the booking of Jungle Boy and Darby in recent weeks and it would work perfectly" I still disagree. Darby being a plucky white meat babyface, as Jungleboy is, finally getting his first real solid win by tapping out a tag guy doesn't play to his strengths as a worker or a character. Jungleboy going 50/50 with Janela while using plunder and getting beat down by Team Taz after doesn't really play to his wholesome white meat strengths either. In my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

A lot of the early hammering of his character was on the first PPVs as well as Dynamite. Did you see any of the PPVs? They definitely ran multiple quick sit down promos of him in the early days of Dynamite describing his character, as well as JR & Excalabur constantly refreshing it every time he was on Dynamite for the first six months or so. I'd never seen him work before AEW either, so it's not like I picked up pieces of his story before AEW. I'm gonna chalk this up to you just not paying close attention while you watch I guess.

To be fair it's not the worst thing in the world if let's say every six months they throw in some nugget of previously said information to account for new viewers.  I know a couple friends who didn't jump in until a few months in so of course they had some questions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

are we sure that Arn (and his son) weren't just born 40?   i loved Tony saying he looks like a mix of Arn and Ole..   JR was like "Ole?  Dear lord!"  lol

I was more amazed to see an Anderson with a full head of hair. 

• Like 2

I'm drawing a blank...why were Comoroto and Bononi released from WWE? 

And a few months ago Jericho mentioned a former NXT talent wouldn't be welcomed back, I think for leaking taping results or something? Was it ever confirmed that it was Tino Sabatelli?

Edit: sorry I meant for this to be in the monthly thread.

Edited by Infinit

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I was more amazed to see an Anderson with a full head of hair. 

I was watching old squash match on some old WCW syndicated show circa 91, and the enhancement talent's name was Brad Anderson. I was wondering...."he can't be an Anderson, can he?"

Turns out...it's Gene's son. I don't think they ever brought it up on commentary. Bryant Anderson and Brad Anderson were around the same age (I know Bryant started wrestling a litter later)...so how did the Destruction Crew/Beverly Brothers end up being the Minnesota Wrecking Crew II right before they went to WWF? You would think you would save that as a birthright and not waste it on guys who weren't going to be there that long.

I'm assuming Ole being Ole pretty much got his son unofficially blackballed, and Brad probably not being the most stable person in hindsight probably made that impossible.

I'm sooooooo happy Lee Johnson finally got his first win, the longest streak in the company is broken! He seemed legit happy and had a heartfelt reaction afterward. Then it was announced he's officially part of the roster, an all-around feel good moment for him.

Now if only The Captain can get a win, I'll be set.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Infinit said:

And a few months ago Jericho mentioned a former NXT talent wouldn't be welcomed back, I think for leaking taping results or something? Was it ever confirmed that it was Tino Sabatelli?

Edit: sorry I meant for this to be in the monthly thread.

In case it wasn't answered there, no, it hasn't been confirmed but is overwhelmingly assumed to be Tino (who signed back with NXT in October, apparently).

• Like 1